TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fenzy Offline
Only dogs should fear pounds.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Cassie

Inpatient.. again? - August 8th 2013, 06:25 PM

I have a hard decision to make.

Inpatient or not?

I DON'T KNOOOW. I CAN'T DECIIIDEE. My parents disapprove of the idea but my counselor thinks it's a good idea to just deal with the thoughts and feelings and body image once and for all because I've been afraid that they aren't going to go away. I told him that I know for a fact if people turned their heads, I would start restricting again. I want to go to Homewood. It is a voluntary place. They don't take people who are seriously underweight. It's just such a hard decision. I'm afraid of what my parents will think. I'm afraid of being away from home for 3 months. I'm afraid of what my friends will say. What if I miss school and I can't do schooling there? Do I really even need it?

I don't know what to do.

Only you have the power to say,
"This is not how my story will end"

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Inpatient.. again? - August 9th 2013, 06:31 AM

Hey Cassie!

Honestly, try not to worry about what other people think. As hard as that sounds, try to block them out. Do what you think is right for you, no one else but yourself. You mentioned that you want to start restricting again. I think it could be a good idea to do impatient to get a hold of those feelings before you end up starting again. Keep fighting <3.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Fenzy Offline
Only dogs should fear pounds.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Cassie

Re: Inpatient.. again? - August 9th 2013, 08:12 PM

Thanks for the reply
It's just really hard to do something knowing that my parents don't approve.

Only you have the power to say,
"This is not how my story will end"

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: Inpatient.. again? - August 10th 2013, 09:08 AM

Oh god it's so early but hello my deaary

I don't have much to add, because I never went inpatient- I was told to gain weight or go, and my parents decided to refeed me at home because like yours they didn't want me to have to travel around 200/300 miles to go somewhere when they thought they could manage it alone. They instead opted to learn more about how to best get me to eat, what to say, what to do, so they could manage meals at home. And after some difficulty, we did.

Anyway, the thing I was gonna say is this- from what I've heard, inpatient treatment is best for a "full dive" experience, really diving in and facing your problems (if you make the most of it and comply). BUT- do not expect to walk out of the hospital completely cured. It's said to give you the tools to help you recover, and learn skills and stuff- but recovery will always be a long, hard journey- no matter where you start it.

It's up to you, and if you think it will help (hey, having people take complete control of my eating saved my life) then by all means do it. It's your life, your recovery and you know what's best for you.

Oh and btw the picture you posted on my wall made me smile

Take as long as you need.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Inpatient.. again? - August 14th 2013, 12:38 AM

Let me ask you some important questions that you should ask yourself. And really think about this.

Do you want to recover? And what length would you go to achieve that?
What would be holding you back? And is that worth the pain of an ED?
What do you think would be beneficial about going?
Do you think you could put your all into inpatient (Because inpatient isn't worth it if you don't throw yourself full in)

I think that getting help, in whatever form, is important. I don't want to drive you away from inpatient if that's what you need and want. I'm just making sure you know that you have to put the effort in. And it's damn scary. I've been there. But it helps. It made me feel safe, understood, and not so alone. I go so much personal support there that it was motivation to get on the recovery-copter ( ) . But to be blunt, it will be a shear waste of your time if you aren't ready yet. I think you need to take the time to consider all the factors playing into this. And from the little I know about you and have seen in blogs- I can tell you want to recover. It's just about how you need to get there. Does that make sense?

I'm proud of you for even considering this. It's brave, and you should be proud of yourself. We will all be here to back you up!

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
Closed Thread