TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
♔ Queen of Ambivalence ♔
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

energy drinks post purge? - October 1st 2013, 08:57 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I know purging is awful and I shouldn't do it. But I do. So let's avoid the "don't purge lecture". Anyways lately after purging I've been having gatorade or similar drinks in an attempt to boost my electrolytes (purging makes you lose a lot of electrolytes and fluid; it can be fatal). But I still feel so weak afterwards. Would drinking an energy drink be a bad idea? I'm just thinking it might make me feel more alert and less...well if you've purged you know how damn tired it can make you. Anyone have any idea if this would be safe and/or helpful?

♥ PM me anytime, I'm here for you ♥

Out of the ashes I'm burning like a fire. You can save your apologies, you're nothing but a liar. I've got shame, I've got scars that I will never show. I'm a survivor in more ways than you know. 'Cause all the pain and the truth, I wear like a battle wound. So ashamed, so confused, I was broken and bruised. Now I'm a warrior.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: energy drinks post purge? - October 2nd 2013, 03:24 AM

I think certain drinks can damage you further after you purge. I do know that your teeth will be softened afterwards. Gatorade would probably be okay, but I'm not sure about anything too bubbly. Sorry I wasn't much help, I don't have too much experience with purging.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: energy drinks post purge? - October 3rd 2013, 02:40 AM

I'm sorry, but I can't give you any other advice besides to quit purging. The reason you're feeling weak afterwards is simply because what you're doing to your body is toxic. There is no medication, drinks, drug, etc, that can get rid of this feeling. You're feeling bad because you're literally stripping your body of its energy. Plus, the acids going on your teeth and esophagus on a regular basis are just terrible. I know you didn't want this advice, but I am saying it because there is simply not better advice. If there was some kind of magic drink that makes it that after you purge you feel fine, I would let you know. But there's not because it's impossible; purging harms your body, and your body needs to feel bad in order to tell you not to do it. It's a regular response.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: energy drinks post purge? - October 5th 2013, 06:18 PM

Gatorade and poweraide are the 2 major drinks that have electrolytes in them which as considered "healthiest" (sugary but still...)... However, it's not going to stop you from being weak, those drinks are meant to give somewhat of a boost after working out or what ever, they were not intended to totally revive a body that is totally food deprived.

So I have to agree with Traci here. You need to stop purging. That is the only solution here because there is no drink that can make up for the harm that the purge is doing to your body. The energy drinks won't replace all the nutrients your body needs to stay strong and that's why you are still feeling so weak.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount8

Edit avatar

Re: energy drinks post purge? - October 16th 2013, 01:31 AM

Hey, Emily!

The posts above is right, we can't give you advice on how to purge without feeling weak, because that'd be like a tip on hurting your body. I don't think it's possible to not feel weak afterwards anyway because it's depriving your body of food that it needs to be strong.

Feel free to PM me if you want, I won't judge, I can listen.

Last edited by DeletedAccount8; October 17th 2013 at 01:02 AM.

Closed Thread