TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

What classifies as a binge? - October 9th 2013, 03:26 AM

Hey um . . . I need to know what would classify as a binge. Medically, is there an amount of energy consumed that defines it? Or is it just eating a lot really fast? Or having days where far more is eaten than other days?

I'm asking in the context of over-eating or binge-eating disorders, because I think it may be defined differently to a binge in the binge-purge cycle of bulimia . . . as there's no purging in this case.

So yeah . . . if somebody could answer . . . that would be great, because I'm at a point where I'm still far too ashamed of this to bring it up with my psychologist and have a proper conversation about it

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Online
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: What classifies as a binge? - October 9th 2013, 03:38 AM

Hey Jess, since Binge Eating Disorder was added to the new DSM 5 here's what I can find from APA about it.

Quote:
Binge eating disorder is defined as recurring episodes of eating significantly more food in a short period of time than most people would eat under similar circumstances, with episodes marked by feelings of lack of control. Someone with binge eating disorder may eat too quickly, even when he or she is not hungry. The person may have feelings of guilt, embarrassment, or disgust and may binge eat alone to hide the behavior. This disorder is associated with marked distress and occurs, on average, at least once a week over three months.
I believe this is slightly different than a bulimic binge (I think that specified that you eat the food over a 2 hour period), but I don't have that in front of me. I know you're from New Zealand, so it might be different where you are, but it should be similar.

If you want the source click HERE and then scroll down to eating disorders on the right-hand side to open the PDF

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: What classifies as a binge? - October 9th 2013, 02:50 PM

Yeah, those two are a little different. I remember watching a documentary and a bulimic binge is eating a large amount of food within a two hour time period.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: What classifies as a binge? - October 10th 2013, 05:46 PM

I think it would have to be relative to the amount of calories you consume daily. Some people, like body builders, consume far more than others, maybe even in a single sitting, but their eating habits would not be considered a binge.

So the second component would have to be if the eating is emotion driven. So many people hit up chinese buffets and such and eat massive amounts, but they aren't necessarily binging.

Usually binging is accompanied by purging, so that is an important factor.

Closed Thread