TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
confused989 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,103, Level: 11 Points: 6,103, Level: 11 Points: 6,103, Level: 11

Exclamation Do you think I have a binge eating disorder? - October 14th 2013, 04:39 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I've always had a problem with my weight... So I tried losing some last year, successfully, but then I put some of it back on again so I lost it again. Now its properly stayed off but along the way I've started bingeing a few times and I'm worried I might be developing a disorder...

I used to weigh [EDITED] at the end of 2011, now its 2013 and i weigh [EDITED] (I'm 5"3/160cm btw)

I don't binge all the time, the first time was in May, just once, and the second in August. But this month I've been doing it around twice every weekend... And I feel disgusting, I have no problem with starving myself after because I'm always so worried I'll put the weight on again and after going through losing weight TWICE, im not prepared for the emotional stress of doing it again... I don't even feel hungry the day after and struggle to eat, but my family are unaware of me when i do binge eat which is why I have to eat even if its very little to cover it up, or I'll lie and say I've already eaten.

I promise myself I won't do it again and this time I'm determined but I do need some advice... what do you think??

Last edited by Coffee.; October 14th 2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Please do not post weight numbers, they are against Code ot Conduct. Thanks!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Do you think I have a binge eating disorder? - October 18th 2013, 07:23 PM

Hey there,

Sorry about the late reply, I didn't have time earlier in the week to respond.

Here on TeenHelp, we're not medical professionals, so we cannot diagnose you with any eating disorder. However, your eating habits do not sound healthy, and it sounds like you need help regardless if you fit any "eating disorder criteria." Very often, the diagnosis of an eating disorder happens much later than when the problems actually began, so it's important to get help before it becomes a problem. I'd recommend seeking help from a counselor or doctor, as they can give you any diagnosis, along with offer you emotional and medical support.

If necessary, they can also help you get to a healthy weight (whatever that is for you, which a doctor can decide) in a positive, healthy way. In our culture, we're often told that "all weight loss is good weight loss" and this is NOT true. Losing weight in an unhealthy way is worse than staying overweight. Also, being "overweight" is not always unhealthy; some people are naturally above average in weight without being unhealthy, and that's okay! Your doctor can help you find out what weight is healthiest for you and you all can go from there.

Good luck! <3

something burning?
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
confused989 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Smile Re: Do you think I have a binge eating disorder? - October 18th 2013, 11:18 PM

It's almost been a week since my last binge and I feel very confident that I won't do it again. I feel as if I was close to triggering a binge today but I stopped myself and it wasn't even hard! Also, this week I've gone back to my healthy eating habits and exercised a bit more, I haven't gained any weight! Or if I have, I've already lost it. Do you still think I should consult a doctor? I'm worried my family won't take me seriously because I'm already back to normal and they never witnessed my binges, especially because I don't really have that kind of relationship with my mum and my closest sister is at university so I don't see her too often. I'm pretty embarrassed too... Plus I feel happy again, like how I did when I lost all the weight, before the bingeing??

Thank you so much. You've helped me a lot already, trust me!!
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Tara Leigh Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tara leigh

Points: 6,958, Level: 12 Points: 6,958, Level: 12 Points: 6,958, Level: 12

Re: Do you think I have a binge eating disorder? - October 22nd 2013, 04:18 PM

Like Traci said.. No one online can exactly diagnose you. But I will state one thing. You seem well on your way into some sort of eating disorder. And whatever it is (Binge eating, bulimia whatever) you need to speak to someone. I am too much of a hypocrite to this but please do. I can not stress this so much! This is incredible dangerous even if it isn't a specific eating disorder, it can still cause many implications to your physical and mental health. Let alone kill your organs :/ I'm sorry to be the one to say this but.. If you carry on you could potentially kill youself.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
confused989 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Do you think I have a binge eating disorder? - October 22nd 2013, 09:23 PM

Wow okay I think ill speak to someone then...
Thank you so much for your help ill definitely keep that in mind!!
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
in_recovery Offline
Average Joe

Name: Rachel

Points: 7,681, Level: 12 Points: 7,681, Level: 12 Points: 7,681, Level: 12

Re: Do you think I have a binge eating disorder? - October 23rd 2013, 05:42 PM

Hello,

Like everyone else said, we can not tell you if you have an Eating Disorder. I agree, that talking to a perfessional will be the best option for you. I hope everything works out for you, and feel free to let us know what happens.
Closed Thread