TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
iloveanime Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chloe

I don't really know. - November 4th 2013, 05:45 AM

I don't really know if I have an eating disorder but I just really wanna talk about what's going on. I feel like I'm really fat. I just feel like I'm gonna get even fatter if I just eat. And so I've been skipping breakfast, lunch, and then eating a light dinner semi-consistently and i don't know I just don't wanna end up gaining more weight and digging myself in a big hole that I eventually won't be able to get out of. I just wanna get to the point where I'll actually feel good about myself. I just feel sorta disgusted by what I look like.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: I don't really know. - November 4th 2013, 04:43 PM

Hey Chloe

The first thing I'm gonna say is something you probably won't believe, because you seem to have a distorted view of food/yourself at the minute. Eating when you are hungry will not cause you to gain weight. Your body is clever, it isn't stupid, and it wouldn't make you hungry if it didn't need the food. It just doesn't happen. People's weights tend to stay the same when they're eating normally and to their natural hunger cues without restricting or bingeing. Scientifically proven, I can promise you that. When I was in recovery I did nothing but research. (Oh and for the record, I've stayed ~the same weight since I finished recovery, too, and I'm not by any means fat, so don't think that's what recovery does to you, anyone reading this ).

Skipping meals and restricting is something that is more likely to lead to weight gain, in fact. Because your body is smart, it panics and thinks there's a shortage of food and stores as much food as it can as fat on you so your internal organs stay padded and safe. You can avoid this by eating regularly, and if you're really struggling- talk to someone. If you instantly recoil from that statement, there's your hint something is wrong my lovely- eating normally isn't something you should fear.

Not eating will not get you to a place where you'll be happy with yourself. Take it from me, actually liking yourself takes a hell of a lot of effort, and isn't something that comes as easily as skipping meals and losing weight. Oh god no. It takes so much mental work, work that can't be done if your brain isn't functioning right because you aren't eating enough. You don't need to lose any weight at all to die of malnutrition, not trying scare tactics I'm sorry :/

Best of luck, okay? And here is a good place to talk to people, by the way. Ranting is always good.

Take as long as you need.

Closed Thread