TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lost_Confused Offline
Wherever life takes me.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Nika

Unhappy Starving myself, then bing eating? - April 28th 2009, 05:00 PM

Yeah, so, I've been starving myself, not eating anything for a looong time, (Mostly because I haven't been hungry) but then when I DO eat, it's mostly sugar, chocolate, junk food. I feel fat, I always have to tuck my belly in because I feel fat, and I don't know what to do... I'm trying to excercise and eat regular meals, becuase my stomach hurts HORRIBLY when I eventually eat, but I just can't seem to get up the energy to run, or walk, or bycicle or anything. We used to have a treadmill at my grandpas house, and I stayed in ok shape on that thing along with this... Thing what you do crunch type things? Have no idea xD, I did schoolwork, I did housework, and I felt ok with myself. Now that we've moved back with my dad I always feel tired, I barely do any schoolwork or homework now, I never excercise, I barely eat and when I do it's sugar, and I feel horrible! What's wrong with me?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
3 Years Cut Free!
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: Starving myself, then bing eating? - April 28th 2009, 11:58 PM

When we deprive our bodies of food for a while, they start to crave sugary things to get an energy fix. By just eating sugar of course your not going to feel good, your body needs a balanced diet to function.

If you want to lose weight, just eat everything in proportion, and make sure it's well balanced. That way you'll have more energy for exercise and your body will be more healthy.

x

(#3 (permalink)) Old
ForeverAutumn* Offline
together, we are infinite.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Starving myself, then bing eating? - April 29th 2009, 01:17 AM

Binging after a period of starving yourself isn't too uncommon. Having irregular eating habits is going to lead to binging on sweets and such; when you starve for a long period of time, your body will crave more and more food when you finally do break your fast, because you've deprived yourself of the nutrients your body needs. So when you return to eating, and sweets are what's in the house, well, that's what you'll probably end up eating and again, you'll end up going a bit overboard because your body is trying to make up for all the energy it's lost because it hasn't been getting the food it needs to function.

I actually believe in healthy binging - yes, I know it sounds silly but try keeping healthy foods in the house instead of chocolate and sugar. Fruits and vegetables you like, stock up on those, so at least you know you're eating healthy. Now, I'm not saying I recommend starving because I strongly suggest you don't, but either way, try keeping healthier foods around. Having too much sugar is going to tire you out which isn't going to help add to your energy levels.

As Hannah said, try for a balanced diet - even if you don't eat large meals, try for three meals a day. Get your body back into the habit of eating normally and make sure you're getting plenty of rest. Eating right and getting enough sleep is the best way to get your energy back up.

If you're wanting to lose some weight, starving isn't going to help. Do it the healthy way - eat a balanced diet, maybe see a nutritionist or your doctor to make a weight loss / exercise plan that's right for you.

I'm here anytime if you'd ever like to talk about anything. Take good care of yourself.

how could anyone ever tell you, you are anything less than beautiful?| PM Me
self-harm free since 06.10.11.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lost_Confused Offline
Wherever life takes me.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Starving myself, then bing eating? - April 29th 2009, 03:06 AM

Yeah, I know, but we can't get too much fruits and veggies. :/
Our refrigerator is broken, so we can only have stuff that can sit out, or frozen stuff.

So we don't have that healthy of stuff, as you can imagine.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Emily. Offline
taste the sky
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: Starving myself, then bing eating? - April 29th 2009, 06:27 AM

Hey hun, first off im sorry you've been feeling this way. The fact that your not eating/only eating unhealthy foods could definitely be contributing to you being tired all the time. Your lacking the nutrients your body needs to produce energy. I definitely agree that eating some healthier foods could go a long ways in helping restore some of that energy.

I don't really know your situation or that much about you, but you mentioned moving. Sometimes big changes like this can effect our mood and eating habits. Depression can also play a part. I'm not sure if either of these things contribute in your case, but it's something to think about.

if you ever need to talk please feel free to pm me.
<3 emily

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Angel Offline
The final horcrux
I've been here a while

Re: Starving myself, then bing eating? - April 29th 2009, 07:19 AM

Have you been intentionally starving yourself, or is it because of a decreased appetite?

Try and make an effort to fit in proper meals throughout your day. If you find that you can't eat too much in one sitting, start out with something small. Allow yourself to have small snacks throughout the day, things such as apples, carrot sticks, and celery are good. This way you can stimulate your metabolism a bit instead of depriving yourself and going through such difficulty. Moderate exercise is also a great idea to promote your appetite and your metabolism. You don't need to do anything vigorous even to keep yourself in shape. Some stretching and walking, or perhaps even yoga can help get you out of that funk.

If you find that your appetite has decreased drastically for no apparent reason, you might want to speak to your doctor about it to see what's going on.

Take care. x

"Years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Anna Skye Offline
live and let love...
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Re: Starving myself, then bing eating? - April 29th 2009, 08:46 PM

Hey there,

I'm really sorry that this is causing you trouble. I went through a phase of this, right before I turned bulimic, which is not to alarm you but only to warn you to make sure you know why you're not eating. If you just not eating because you're not hungry, I would consult your doctor about it, and he/she may have some treatment options for you. If it's because you're trying to lose weight, EDS ARE NEVER THE SOLUTION. Please try to eat healthily-sized meals three times a day with moderate exercise - that's the best way to get fit and healthy

peace and love

If you read this signature,
know that someone cares about you.
You are not alone.

<3 Contact me

last cut: 4 august 2010
last purge: 13 march 2010

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Naomi. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Naomi

Re: Starving myself, then bing eating? - April 29th 2009, 10:53 PM

i do the same
i try to binge healthy
with regards to what u can have with no fridge...frozen peas/sweetcorn are good
yes i kow it sounds weird

Dream ♥

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Lost_Confused Offline
Wherever life takes me.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Starving myself, then bing eating? - April 29th 2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Depression can also play a part. I'm not sure if either of these things contribute in your case, but it's something to think about.

I think that might be part of it...

Quote:
Have you been intentionally starving yourself, or is it because of a decreased appetite?

I think a little bit of both actually..

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Emily. Offline
taste the sky
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Starving myself, then bing eating? - April 30th 2009, 12:32 AM

If you think that depression may be part of it, i definitely think it would be a good idea to talk to a school counselor or therapist about this. Sometimes it really helps to talk about things. If depression is playing a role, counseling or in some cases even medication can help get you back on track and feeling better.

If your not comfortable talking to a teacher or counselor or another adult in your life, i encourage you to keep posting here. Sometimes just venting and letting things out can help.

I hope your okay right now and feel free to pm me anytime.
<3 emily

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Lost_Confused Offline
Wherever life takes me.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Starving myself, then bing eating? - April 30th 2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Sometimes it really helps to talk about things. If depression is playing a role, counseling or in some cases even medication can help get you back on track and feeling better.
But I can't take medicine unless it's chewables or liquid.
I gag and can never get them down :/
I've tried to tell someone, but no one listens.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Emily. Offline
taste the sky
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Starving myself, then bing eating? - May 3rd 2009, 02:29 AM

I'm sorry your having a hard time finding someone who will listen hun. What about talking to a teacher or school counselor?? Or asking your parents to see an outside therapist?

And as for medication, you may not even need it hun. But you should talk with a counselor and find out what they think. And if you do need it, they may be able to give you something in liquid/chewable form. I don't know for sure, but it's definitely worth talking to them about.

Please pm me if u need anything.
<3 emily

"Sometimes it's a struggle to be not who you want to be, not who you used to be, not who you're going to be,
but just being right where you are, who you are"

(#13 (permalink)) Old
SummerTiger Offline
Human Being
Not a n00b

Re: Starving myself, then bing eating? - May 9th 2009, 05:21 PM

Dude, how long has this been going on? Because only a number of weeks ago I've finally broken away from a situation very similar to your own.

For more than a year, I've been doing the combination of starving myself, then binging. I was in denial about this harming me both physically and mentally, and didn't believe anyone could help me (no one did in the end, I had to get out of the mess myself).

The thing is, I had to live with my dad, who is, to put it mildly, not the most supportive person. You'd think I was his coworker, the way he treated me. Jerk...... Back to the topic

I began sinking into a deep depression, at the same time building up a shield so no one could detect how miserable I was. Sometime then I began to gain weight, and got hooked on the "binge -> feel ugly and worthless -> starve myself" cycle. I would also go out and over-exercise, which made me feel better, but made me always have aches in my body.

I wouldn't have stopped if not for a more serious injury to my arm because of too much strain. Now, your health is NO JOKE! Now I also have gastritis from being under so much stress and putting myself down, and from eating bad foods and eating too much.

The bottom line is: you've got SO MANY YEARS of your life in front of you! Don't you want to experience something more than what you're living right now?

I had to get out of the mess I created in baby steps. I remember how I used to binge on sweets, chips, and sandwiches until my stomach was round and it hurt. While eating, I felt wonderful. But the moment I would stop, it would all come crashing down on me. These highs and lows can be very destructive towards your health. You HAVE to realize how BAD the situation's getting. If you don't do anything SOON, it could get very out of hand.

Right now, I'm still working on getting my arm to be healthy. It was a lesson learned THE HARD WAY for me. I just want to tell you, you're like the same age as me, so please learn from my mistake and don't do this to yourself! I don't want you to hurt yourself like I did!

For weeks now, even when I did overeat, it was nowhere near as bad as it was before. Also, I cut myself some slack once in a while. You can't just go from BAD to totally FINE in a second. Life doesn't work that way. Baby steps, and you'll get there. It won't even take you that long, I promise.

Hope you learn something from my story. Scratch that, I hope you stop hurting yourself right now, because I don't want anyone else to be in the situation that I was in. If you want to talk about anything, if you feel low or confused or wanna talk about anything big or small, PM me and we can talk about whatever. Don't mean to sound too corny, but you just know that I really feel what you're going through, and I really want you to get better. Hang in there, don't let it get worse!!

Hugs,
Tiger

Closed Thread