TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
losingout Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question Not hungry! :( - December 14th 2013, 11:31 PM

I'm recovering from an eating disorder (anorexia - one year now! wow, time flies) but I have a major problem. I just don't think I'm hungry when I'm stressed.

Usually it's only for a week or so, but I go on half a meal a day and not notice simply because my body doesn't tell me it's hungry. And I'm approaching year 12, and I know I'm going to be stressed out throughout the year as I would usually be just in the month for exams, so you can see why I'm worrying about it.

Any ideas, any way to help?

(On a somewhat unrelated topic, even in normal life, I suck at recognizing hunger cues - never know what hunger feels like, what full feels like, etc, until it gets to the point where I'm cramping from hunger and just think "oh, i should eat something" or eat until i'm too full to move. so help with that would be appreciated too ;P )

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Moyshi Offline
i am jack's smirking revenge
I've been here a while

Re: Not hungry! :( - December 15th 2013, 09:36 PM

Hey there,

First off, I just wanted to say I'm glad you posted here. It shows that you're being proactive with your recovery. I would suggest perhaps planning out three times during the day to eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner. For example, deciding to eat breakfast around 7am, lunch around 12pm, and dinner around 6pm, every day. If you find times that work for you and you follow through with it, it may start to become habitual, rather than something you have to remind yourself to do. Packing healthy snacks and bringing them with you during the day might also help.

Stress can really affect your appetite but as we all know, your body still needs to get its nutrients! Plan healthy meals to eat and find the time to eat them, even if you don't feel hungry. I would also suggest looking into finding healthy ways to deal with the stress you might be feeling. Look into figuring out a way that works for you in terms of remember to get enough food, but also try and find an effective and healthy way for you to lower your stress level. If your stress level is low, you may not have as much of a problem with your appetite.

Hope this post helped a bit!
Take care. :]

A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Closed Thread