TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Kayla

What to do after a binge - January 4th 2014, 06:19 AM

I screwed up again. I was doing good all day. Eating right only eating when I was hungry and then night time came and I just ate everything I could find. Now I feel guilty and depressed. I feel fat and ugly and just feel like shit.i don't know what to do. What do you do after a binge?

sometimes you gotta fall before you fly.
I believe that we all fall down sometimes

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: What to do after a binge - January 4th 2014, 07:40 PM

Hey Kayla,

Do not purge or restrict the next day. Although that seems like the answer at the time, it's only worse for your body and will increase your chances of another binge. Instead, eat tomorrow normally and try to identify the feelings that caused your binge. Were you bored? Were you upset and resisting cutting? Did you feel isolated or alone? It's good to know what triggers you so that you can avoid these situations and feelings later.

Last, don't buy foods that are common binge foods for you. Try to keep very healthy snacks in the house so if you binge, you end up eating a large amount of apples and peanut butter, which is better than an entire box of pizza rolls. Stay strong, you're not weak for having slipups!

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: What to do after a binge - January 6th 2014, 10:22 PM

What Traci is saying is the absolute truth. It's a lot of stuff I've had to do in order to stay healthy. I simply cannot buy stuff like chips or I'll just pig out and feel like shit afterwards, even crackers or what not is chancy. If I buy healthy foods it's harder for me to go on a binge cause, for example, if I want to binge I might actually have to make a salad since I think straight spinach is just blegh, and things like apples take long enough to eat that once I'm done munching on one I've usually managed to think through my intentions to consume more.

The one thing I would do is if I screwed up and end up on binge, I'd feel nasty a gross and sometimes that feeling would get so consuming I'd want to puke or go for a run to make it go away. Fortunately puking grosses me out REALLY REALLY badly (seriously, I'm the kind of person who gags because I had to clean up my cats sick on the floor or what ever) and just sprinting around the block would kind of make me feel better but I'd end up being angry with myself for it. So I would force myself to stop and wait until the feelings settled down to go work out.

I would constantly reassure myself that as long as I was "good" for the rest of the week (kept eating healthy and working out) that it'd be ok. I'd plan to maybe add about 10-20 minutes on to my next running training or something. I learned to control when I wanted to eat too. Like I used to eat when I was stressed out studying, but by changing my eating habits and setting new goals (ex. eating 3 times a day and maybe 1 snack in the afternoon if I was hungry, only eating out once a week etc.) helped because having clearly defined dietary and exercise goals gave me something to focus on. If I new I was doing something wrong (ex. a binge) I'd be able to just go back to my goals and say "that won't happen tomorrow". Sometimes I woudn't even go on a scale if I'd binged because I knew the # would go up the next day and I'd get upset so I knew there was no point in even looking when it'd drop down the next day..... I think if you have clear goals that it'd make it easier cause if you "screw up" (stress on the "" !!) you'd be able to remind yourself that there's always tomorrow. Make sure to include some of the causes about why you end up binging in your goals, that what you can focus on a preset "goal" of what to do when you end up in that situation

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread