TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lilyadele Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: ****

Points: 5,923, Level: 11 Points: 5,923, Level: 11 Points: 5,923, Level: 11

Exclamation am i developing an eating disorder? - January 25th 2014, 06:45 PM

I'm worried I might be developing an eating disorder. I am 16 years old and I only weigh [EDITED] but I have always been underweight for my age. I've always eaten anything and everything I wanted and I really never gain any weight and my friends are always jealous of me because of it. I've never had a problem with my body until recently, like maybe in the past 9 months.
Once I hit puberty I got a little hips, which is fine, but I also got really big upper thighs and I feel like I look like a squash. I kept thinking these untrue things about my body. But I never really did anything about it at first. I still ate whatever I wanted to. But in the back of my mind I always told myself, "If I reach [EDITED] I'll just starve myself". That was sort of my logic behind it.
But just in the past few months I've been getting really aware of everything I eat. I always look at nutrition labels. I get depressed an regretful after I eat a lot. I always thought about being anorexic but then I realized I have no self control. So instead I made myself throw up last week. And just two nights ago I did it again. I will eat so much junk food until I get sick and feel like I have to get it all out. And then after I throw up I will continue to eat more. I just now ate some fruit, and then I was still hungry so I ate cereal, and then I went right for the potato chips and now I feel disgusting and I'm contemplating throwing up again.
In my mind I don't see it as an eating disorder, I see it as me just making myself feel better because I've eaten too much. It's less about me having a problem about my body and more of me having a problem with food. It doesn't make sense to me. I think I need help.

Last edited by Coffee.; January 25th 2014 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Please do not use weight numbers, they're triggering and against Code of Conduct. Thanks!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26

Re: am i developing an eating disorder? - January 25th 2014, 07:12 PM

I'm so sorry that you're struggling with this, it's very easy to get trapped in. It's normal for girls to gain weight during puberty and the changes can be hard to accept for some people. I'm glad that you decided to reach out and that you realize that it's a problem. I would suggest talking to your parents, a doctor, or a counselor about what's going on. The longer you do it, the harder it is to stop. If you want to cut out junk food that would be a healthy choice, but don't become too restrictive. Food is not an enemy and eating doesn't make you "disgusting" or mean that you have to throw up.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: am i developing an eating disorder? - January 25th 2014, 11:57 PM

Hey there!

I'm sorry you're struggling, I know how painful of a place that this is. When you mentioned that you have an untrue perception, you are recognizing that it is definitely untrue and that there could be an issue with thinking that way.

As for your hips and thighs, I know how that feels as well. However, think of it as a good thing if you can - it means that you're capable of creating life and that is a beautiful thing.

Every time you want to criticize yourself, look at a part of you that you like. Do you like your eyes, perhaps? Your arms, or your hair? And embrace what you like about being you. I'm sure you're a good person and have great personality qualities, so really try to empathise yours.

Lastly, I would recommend talking to someone about purging. You don't deserve to go through this, I promise. In the meantime, when you feel the need to purge, try to stay distracted. I'm going to link you to the eating disorder's video page so you can check it out.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread