TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
cloudyskies Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question not sure what to do - February 20th 2014, 03:05 PM

I dont know whether I am suffering from a ed or not but I cannot help but feel guilty after I eat a meal.If I eat 'normally' I will feel horrendous guilt and be ashamed but I know that I cant stop eating completely. I have tried to starve myself on many occasions and ended up binging and be back to square one. If anything I have put more weight on by doing this and well it hasn't made me happy. My self harming has gotten worse and I just want to stop eating. I have no idea what to do

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Awakening Offline
L’amore vince sempre
Average Joe

Re: not sure what to do - February 20th 2014, 03:53 PM

Hey there,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been struggling lately. I know what it's like to feel insecurity about eating, and to be dealing with self harm at the same time must make things even more difficult. I think you're really strong for being able to deal with all of this at once.

There are many times that I have felt insecure because of my weight and as a result have wanted to stop eating and have limited my food intake. This doesn't mean, though, that I have an eating disorder. Feeling guilty for eating is somewhat normal, but to an extent. I don't think that your behavior right now necessarily means that you have an eating disorder, but I do think that it is potentially harmful and could develop into something more serious.

You may not be actively starving yourself or binging frequently but the guilt and insecurity you're feeling is something that I think you should get help with and learn to overcome before the problem escalates. Insecurity can cause problems in many different areas of your life, not just your eating habits. I think you might want to consider talking to someone about how you've been feeling. You also might want to think about giving therapy a try. Talking through your emotions can help you to better understand them and why you are feeling them in the first place. And therapy can help provide you with solutions to improve your emotions and the problems you're facing in life. You shouldn't have to go through all of this alone, either.

If you feel that you are overweight or need to lose a few pounds then there are healthy ways to do so. You don't need to go on any extreme diets, but maybe maintaining a healthier lifestyle would make you feel better about eating. Try focusing on what you're eating rather than how much you're eating. I think that most of us could benefit from eating a little bit healthier. It can improve the way you feel both physically and emotionally. & If you know what you're eating is healthy for you it might be easier to not feel so guilty about it. Maybe look up some new healthy recipes online and give them a try. It's fun to try new things, especially when you're becoming healthier in the process.

I hope this helped a little, and that things start improving for you soon! You're more than welcome to send me a message if you ever need to talk Take care.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread