TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
frison1313 Offline
Average Joe

Question Help questions - April 18th 2014, 06:47 PM

Hi, so here I go, I'm in 10th grade now. During 9th grade I went to psychologist because I was bullied, there I told her about my cutting which she did not tell my parents. Then I started having disordered eating that escalated to bulimia. During that time, she wasn't aware. Them I stopped seeing her and this year so during my 10th grade I went back to her for only 10 sessions. This time I told her about my bulimia, cutting etc. she decided again to not tell my parents. Now I stopped seeing her cause I'm alright in my life but I've realized that she didn't really give me tools to handle everything. She listened to me, maybe pinpointed why I did and told me that when you get older it gets better. The thing is if I'm fine, I won't binge but then I miss it, or I because of emotions I'll do it. I've stopped seeing her since a week and I've already b/p. it's very hard to recover alone since my parents don't know. I don't even think I'm in the state of wanting to recover or you know what I mean, if you're fine you won't do you but when the urge come you won't resist ?I don't know what to do!!!?
Do you think parents should know or are important in recovery or you are the only one who needs to know ?
Maybe if I have to tell them I will wait until September after holidays etc but then again I don't know how ? Please help me I feel lost and alone and out of control

(#2 (permalink)) Old
sassie_girl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Help questions - April 19th 2014, 05:55 PM

Hey,

I'll get right to the point I guess. Dealing with eating disoders and self-harm is something that is very difficult to handle by yourslef. I've struggled wiht self-harm before as well and I don't know what would've happened if I didn't let somebody know. Ultimatley this is your descision whether or not you want to tell your parents. But your parents are there to help you. I hope you make the right descion for yourself and can find the strength to get better. Message me if you need to talk alright?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Your_Friend Offline
Average Joe

Name: Ibrahim aka Ibiii

Re: Help questions - April 19th 2014, 09:33 PM

Hey

I guess its a natural age where most of the teens experience this.I guess if you are facing more problems,its a right thing to tell to your parents.PArents always care for there child.They will do there best to help you out.

Take Care.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: Help questions - April 19th 2014, 09:37 PM

Hey there,

Sometimes, when we want some help it doesn't always go our way sometimes it works perfectly with no issues or its what we needed. Getting support and talking about what is happening, can be challenging because of a few factors (will explain soon) it can also be helpful or after we receive that support you still aren't feeling better.

Some factors that are challenging during counseling/therapy:
When we are ready to talk about what is going on, this allows us to be open and receive the help we do want and need. Sometimes people are "forced" or "told" to talk about how they feel, it doesn't work that way. You can't just make someone talk and explain what is going on. It's more complex. YOU need to be ready to talk and YOU wanting that support and help. Then, if you don't explain what you need the counselor/therapist may not know what YOUR needs are.

How much time do you need to have during Counseling/Therapy?
This depends on the person (yourself) and what kind of support your needing. Sometimes people just need a few sessions and some need months, it all depends on the person and their needs. Having 10 sessions is all what some need others need more, much more sessions. You are allowed to ask questions, asking questions in your sessions allows that person to help you. If you state, "So why am I feeling this way, I don't understand?" or asking, "what can I do to help this?" Those are opening questions that they can help you. They can explore the background and to offer ideas that may or may not work for you. Sometimes, being told, "try drawing," drawing may not help you but another person. So exploring those routes it takes time to know what we really do need.

Telling your parents about counseling/therapy:
You don't have to explain to your parents what you do say in your sessions, however that is up to you. If you think it would help you then telling them can be helpful. For an example: Someone struggling to be organized and is causing a lot of stress. Asking them for tools to help you in being more organized. This can allow them to help you.

Would telling my parents of my recovery be helpful?
Not everyone is open to their parents from the start but are later on. If you need your parents to support you and give you the needed tools during that time, then having another support which are your parents I think its a great idea. Sometimes, we don't want them to know sometimes we do. It comes down to if you want them to know or not and your the only person who knows the best.

When is the best time to tell your parents?
If September is the best time to tell them, then you should tell them that in September. What made you want to tell them in September; less stress, less business, gives you some time to think everything over, etc.? Your the best person to know when that time is best.

Allowing yourself some time and reflection during recovery can allow you to receive the best possible support that you need. If your not ready to talk about something, talk about something you are ready or would like to discuss.

Take your time and be gentle.
Take Care.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#5 (permalink)) Old
frison1313 Offline
Average Joe

Re: Help questions - April 21st 2014, 09:37 AM

So from your points of view you think it's better to tell the parents to ease the recovery process and to gain support from them ? Or do recovery can be done my own ? Like is support really important from the entourage ?
Anyway thank you all for your fast answers and your precious advices )

Closed Thread