TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lillibette Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Food Insecurity + Relapse - September 5th 2014, 07:01 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I'm not sure if this will be super triggering, but I wanted to tag just in case.

I've been dealing with an ED since I was 19. I've been in recovery for the past few years, but it's been really bumpy and it's hard not to lapse back into disordered behaviors, especially restricting. This is particularly bad because my ED's actually landed me with gastroparesis (a digestive disorder where your stomach muscles are partially paralyzed).

My wife and I live off her SSI and we're both severely disabled, so this doesn't help. For the past several months, we've been having a lot of problems with money and making it stretch enough for food? It's especially bad this past week, waiting for food stamps to kick in on the 7th, because we can't over-draft this early in the month (I mean, we could, but it'd be foolish to do it). And hopefully we'll be fine until the 7th and all.

But it's making my ED kick into overdrive and making me feel like restricting is a good thing, since we need to make what we've got stretch anyway? And the other day, I lapsed and did more exercise than I should have and gave myself the worst asthma attack I've had in years.

Has anyone else had to go through poverty/food insecurity while dealing with their ED at the same time? It's so frustrating. I try so hard not to give in and normally I manage, but it's been kicking my ass lately.

Please use fae or they pronouns in reference to me.
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Re: Food Insecurity + Relapse - September 5th 2014, 04:29 PM

I haven't dealt with poverty/food insecurity, but I do suffer from an "ED" of some sorts, so I can relate to the disordered eating behaviors a little bit. Are you currently seeing a counselor/therapist? If not, I think you should try to see one as it maybe of some use to you. Seeing a counselor/therapist may/may not cost money, but it all really depends on the places. Does the community you and your wife live in have support groups and counselors/therapists? If so, then you could look into that, but if your community doesn't offer those types of resources, then there are other things to look for.

The main thing you need is a support system. A support system's main purpose is to, of course, give a person support in times of crisis, tough/difficult times, and tribulations. Communication with anyone is key and if there is no communication whatsoever, then things are just going to keep getting worse and worse.

Member Since 1/15/2012

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Food Insecurity + Relapse - September 5th 2014, 07:46 PM

I've dealt with this to a lesser degree. My dad is only able to buy food for us one a month so the food he gets each month has to last the whole month and that rarely works. Towards the end of the month the food usually runs out and at that time my ED kicks in and tells me "since there is no food around you might as well restrict anyway." I fight this urge by buying my own food with my own money. However, since that isn't an option for you I would suggest that you talk to your wife and see what the two of you can work out. I understand not having enough money to make food last and I know there isn't much that can be done about this but maybe your wife could help you come up with ideas so that you could lessen the impact this has on your eating habits?

Would you be able to afford therapy? If so I agree that it would be a great thing to look into. Having a counselor to talk to about all of this can be a great way to try and work on overcoming your habits and work towards recovery.

I hope that this helped in some way and if you need anything please feel free to message me.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lillibette Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Food Insecurity + Relapse - September 12th 2014, 04:03 AM

Thank you both.

I'm not currently in therapy, no. I can't afford it. Although by the end of the month, I am hopefully getting a mental health evaluation done, and if they agree I need help, I can fill out financial assistance forms and everything, so that would help a lot. Just got to hold on until then.

It doesn't help that my wife's got an ED herself, so it can be really hard not to trigger her, or not fall into relapse if she does. I try my best, but...

Please use fae or they pronouns in reference to me.
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Closed Thread