TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xxCaycexx Offline
Not a n00b

Do I have and ED? - October 19th 2014, 02:29 AM

I had someone mention to me that I may have an eating disorder and was wondering if it were true...

In a course of less than two months I've lost several pounds...

I was always under the impression that anorexia was when someone just stops eating, but I just don't have an appetite, like ever.
And when I do eat, I hardly can ever keep it down.

What's wrong with me?

Last edited by xxCaycexx; October 19th 2014 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Please do not include weight numbers, including weight loss numbers . :)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Do I have and ED? - October 19th 2014, 03:39 AM

Anorexia is an emotional disorder that develops when someone doesn't eat in effort to lose weight. Eating disorder tendencies are done deliberately.

If you're purposely restricting your intake and bringing food back up, then you could have an eating disorder. However, if your tendencies are not deliberate than it is not likely. A lot of other things can cause lack of appetite such as anxiety and depression, for instance. Anxiety can also cause a lot of digestive problems and it can be rather painful sometimes.

I suggest you speak to someone about what you're going through.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#3 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Do I have and ED? - October 19th 2014, 04:55 AM

We cannot tell you if you have an eating disorder or not because we are not professionals. Eating disorders is a mental illness that is caused by emotional problems and people stop eating on purpose.

If you are purposely not eating then purging then you most likely have an eating disorder. But Like Cassie said if you aren't doing this on purpose then a lot of things could cause this like depression anxiety or other mental illnesses. You might want to talk to a doctor about this.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Skyline Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Skye

Re: Do I have and ED? - October 19th 2014, 08:41 AM

Hi there I was once teased at school for being anorexic (which I was not), and so have done lots and lots of research on that. You are considered anorexic when you willingly deprive yourself of food (either by starving yourself, or by binging, or if you're bullimic...) (because you find yourself fat, because you want to be thinner or simply to feel in controle of yourself) to an extent that is unhealthy for your body, in the sense that you become very thin and frail. You haven't given me enough information to tell wether or not you have an ED, but you can tell that for yourself:
You may be anorexic if...
- If you find yourself fat but that people comment on your skinnyness
- If you know you should be eating more but you deprive yourself of food anyway, and even exercize lots to burn calories
- If you feel frail and tired

However, you probably are not anorexic if...
- If you feel energetic and healthy
- If your parents are naturally skinny anyway
- If you can tell that you look too thin, and that you try to gain weight

Don't be too influenced by what other people say. People used to call me anorexic, but 1- they didn't even know what the word meant, and 2- it turned out that I was absolutely healthy!

Good luck, I hope this helps!

"You shall love your crooked neighbour / with your crooked heart."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
xxCaycexx Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Do I have and ED? - October 19th 2014, 12:22 PM

Well, I do want to be smaller...
I hate the way that I look.
I'm fat and disgusting...I can't stand it!

I would kill to be skinny...

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Re: Do I have and ED? - October 20th 2014, 11:03 PM

I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I can relate to this in a way. Being skinny isn't everything. I'm by no means skinny (in fact, my medical standards, I am overweight), but being skinny won't get you the things you want in life. People can be any shape or size and as long as they put in the effort and work hard work, then they can achieve anything. A lot of people hate the way they look and wish they could change something about themselves, but you got to be thankful for what you were given. I, too, would kill to be skinny, but I know that isn't the case. Your mind is playing tricks on you and is making you think these negative thoughts. You think that losing weight and being skinny would lead you to perfection, but that is just your mind playing tricks on you. Your mind wants you to think that, but in actuality, when you reach this level of perfection, your mind will start going off saying that isn't perfection and all and you need to keep going. Don't listen to what your mind is telling you about this.

Are you currently seeing a therapist/counselor? If not, I think it could be something you should think about doing as there is something going on in your life that is causing you to feel this way

Member Since 1/15/2012

Closed Thread