TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: you can call me Rina

I can't take these thoughts anymore - October 27th 2014, 12:00 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

What should I do when I keep getting thoughts about purging, restricting, and over exercising. When I haven't even been diagnosed with anything. I don't know what to do anymore, just when I thought that I was in recovery from these thoughts and feelings something happens to me and I just go back to the same behavior. I am not even thin I'm technically classified as obese, so I don't think anyone would take me seriously if I told them about my feelings. Can you even have an eating disorder and overweight/obese? I am just stuck in this awful position on whether I should keep going on with my distorted eating issues and body image crap, or try and get help. I don't know... I bet the doctors would be happy if I lose a lot of weight this way, so they wouldn't have to keep telling me about how fat I am. Does anyone have any stories or know of anyone who is overweight and is struggling with this stuff? I think I might start an restricting diet tomorrow so that I can get these thought out of my head and just give in. I HATE myself so much! Sorry if I offend anyone I just can't take it anymore.

Last edited by ~Creative Disaster~; October 27th 2014 at 01:43 AM. Reason: changed my weight status

(#2 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: I can't take these thoughts anymore - October 27th 2014, 12:43 AM

First of all I am really sorry that you are going through this right now. I know how hard it is. I am classified as obese and have a diagnosed eating disorder. You do not have to be thin to have an eating disorder. Most people think only thin people have them so they over look the heavier peoples behavior like not eating or going to the bathroom right after meals.

I know the thoughts are intrusive and really annoying and you think the only way to get rid of them is to act on the behavior but that isn't true at all. You just have to tell yourself that you are stronger than the voices in your head and that you want to be healthy and happy.

The doctors would not be happy if you lost weight in an unhealthy way. Because it is their jobs to make sure you are healthy. If you truly are overweight then they can tell you how to loose weight in a healthy way and even give you a meal plan or a dietitian. Dietitians are very helpful when you are going through eating disorders.

Do you have a therapist? If not I think it would be a good idea if you got one but one that specializes in eating disorders. That way they can help you get all of this under control. Because it is better to get it under control now then 10 years from now and almost dying.

Also please don't restrict tomorrow try to just eat healthy. Also if you ever need to talk about this you can always PM/VM me anytime.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
mg306 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Maya

Re: I can't take these thoughts anymore - October 27th 2014, 01:27 AM

This might not help with your situation a whole bunch but that last bit you said about restricting your diet and stuff, I have a few things to say about that. Now I have several friends that kind of struggle like you with the thoughts and everything except they arent overweight at all, they look normal, just think they're fat and want to have a restriced diet. One of my friends for a while would only be eating like editcalories a day, and for her height and weight was supposed to be getting around edit. There are numerous studies and research showing that not getting enough calories and restricting your diet will make you actually GAIN weight. Eating less does not create the need to burn body fat. Instead, it creates the need for the body to slow down. Most people think that the body hangs on to body fat. Instead, it burns muscle tissue, and that worsens the underlying cause of obesity. Only as a last resort, if the body has no other option, it may also burn a bit of body fat.
If you really want to loose weight fast I would suggest excersising. If you eat the amount of calories you're supposed to get in a day (which you can calculate with your BMI) and you then use excersise to burn off edit you should see weight loss quite quickly. Also instead of restricting your diet you could go on a diet PLAN, just eating healthier foods. Also if you make a workout plan that could help. If you need help or have questions about anything just message me

Last edited by Hypothesis.; October 27th 2014 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Please do not include Calorie numbers - it is against the Code of Conduct. :)
  Send a message via Skype™ to mg306 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: you can call me Rina

October 27th 2014, 03:59 AM

^^ *Tinker Bell* Frankie

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one going through this. I wasn't sure whether or not if they even would diagnose a overweight/obese person with an ED, since everyone usually only recognizes eating disorders in thin people. I might ask my doctor to put me on a meal plan, but I don't know if I would be able to stick to it. I also don't have an therapist, I used to have one but I didn't feel that she was the right person for me so I left. I am going to seek out a new one though so I can start to get some help, even though it's not that bad yet. I will try and not restrict tomorrow though. Thank you for caring so much about me being healthy. You can also PM or VM if you ever need to talk.

^ mg306 Maya

Thank you for replying and caring about me being healthy. I'm sorry to hear that your friend is going through a similar experience with an eating disorder. Thanks for giving my a scientific look on how burning carbs and calories the wrong way could make me gain weight, I actually did know that fact so I have to be careful with the way I go about losing all this fat. I am going to try and get my doctor to write me a meal plan so I can try and do it a healthier way. If you need to talk also you can PM and VM if you need to.

Last edited by Hypothesis.; October 27th 2014 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Merging two consecutive posts.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Re: I can't take these thoughts anymore - October 27th 2014, 07:05 PM

I pretty much agree with what everyone else is saying.

Do you know what exactly is triggering these negative thoughts/feelings to occur? Was there a situation that happened that may have triggered you in a certain way? Identifying these triggers can be very useful for you.

Don't listen to what your "ED" mind is telling you. Your "ED" mind is telling you lies about yourself. Don't listen to it.

I know things are really tough for you right now, but recovery wasn't meant to be easy. Try to eat a healthy meal once a day and do this for a week or two or until you feel comfortable with this and then try to incorporate two healthy meals a day. Keep this process up until you are onto 3-4 healthy meals a day.

Member Since 1/15/2012

(#6 (permalink)) Old
CookieMonster :D
Not a n00b

Name: Yaii

Smile Re: I can't take these thoughts anymore - October 27th 2014, 09:34 PM

Hey
Im really sorry your feeling this way , I also have problems with my weight and I sometimes feel like someone is looking at me thinking "look at that girl she so ugly" or "she so fat" I recently moved in with my boyfriend (who is skinny x.x) and I lost some weight, but I still feel like shit, I watch movies with him a lot and theres always these beautiful skinny, bootylicious girls and I wonder why is he with me when he can get so much better.. And he says "its not all about the looks, its because I love who you are and you are beautiful "
Your beautiful Aalayah, you sit here and help people, your an amazing person and you fail to see that, you need to look at yourself and see how great you are . And you ARE pretty, Size is nothing compared to the person you are. I really Felt so welcomed when you wrote on my profile.
If you really want to lose weight, just go jogging a few hours, but im sure you don't need it.
Feel better and know you can always come talk to me.
PM or VM me, im always here for you.

BUBBLES
Life Is Like a Rollercoaster
It has its ups and downs.
But its your choice to scream or enjoy the ride.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread