TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Eating Disorders (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f15-eating-disorders/)
-   -   How come eating disorder are portrayed as a quick and easy death? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f15-eating-disorders/t134156-how-come-eating-disorder-portrayed-quick-easy-death/)

Amber16 November 10th 2014 11:18 AM

How come eating disorder are portrayed as a quick and easy death?

Like it always seems people act like most anorexics die in their twenties or something not too far from that. I have an aunt with anorexia and she only eats very rarely and very little. And she's in her 60's almost 70's.shes like [Edited] lbs and 5'9" and she's been that way all her adult life. And my dad also has ednos. Of some sorts he eats a lot sometimes but will puke it all up in at the most 4 hours. But doesn't keep it down long and he in his mid 30's and has never likes getting over [Edited] and is over 6 ft. But health wise has had a few energencies but he survived his 20's as well. It's cool on one way outside of that I eat most of the food in the house so nothing's offlimits. But now that we moved in with his boyfriend I don't even get that privilege. But I constantly have from his family say that I'm too fat because my hips curve too much. My dad once said my hips are fat because I eat all the food in the house. I used to diet and try to achieve a really small weight through excercize and strict dieting. But I've really I'm actually skinny just with curves have since embraced it. But anyway a lot of his family have image issues. But why do people act like anorexics die early I've met quite a few that's were older? Also is anorexia genetic or runs in the family at all?

Its.Just.Angie November 10th 2014 03:03 PM

Re: How come eating disorder are portrayed as a a quick and easy death?

hey there,
So to answer your question yes it could run in a family, but its through influence like if you see your parents starving, you may think its okay and stuff, so you may try.. I think... It could be from genitics too? I'm not sure! But yes it could run through a family!

I dont think it is fast death cause your body is in survival mode and it learns to adjust to the extremely small portions. Yes you are dying by starving yourself, but your body learns to adjust and it will conserve the energy to its best. Its only does that cause your body is trying to survive until you find food. (Well back in early history that was the case) if your body is used to the very small amounts it will learn how to adjust and used the engery you gave it for awhile. The less you eat the slower your metabolism goes and stuff. So no its a really long death..

It may be from stereotype. Cause every knows if you don't eat you die (obvisouly) and more likely not aware what happens like when your body goes into survival mode.. If it didn't have that surivial mode instinct yes.. Most of them would die early.. Or how far your body will go in order to survive.. Like your aunt her body is used to the small portions and her body is trained to use every last bit of it. If that makes sense? I hoped I help :)

Kindred November 10th 2014 07:28 PM

Re: How come eating disorder are portrayed as a quick and easy death?

Hiya,

I haven't a clue :p Eating disorders can affect anyone, in any degree, for any amount of time. A lot of people do die incredibly young from eating disorders (well the associated health effects) because naturally eating disorders are very dangerous. But it all depends on the person and their behavior. There's no set guide.

There's evidence genetics play a role in the development of eating disorders, and there's evidence environmental factors play a role too. I think a lot of it is genetics, tbh :p

Don't let them get to you, they evidently aren't well but it's not fair of them to say you're too curvy! You're perfect, and good on you for accepting your body and not falling into the trap. You're beautiful ;)

Laura xoxox

DeletedAccount63 November 10th 2014 07:44 PM

Hey :welcome: to Teenhelp

Anyways Eating disorders can affect anyone weather they are young, or old, under weight, regular weight, over weight, or obese. My friend knows people who have died young because of there eating disorder and I know people who are old and have an eating disorder and are just starting to recover from it. I am 23 years old and have EDNOS and I have had it since I was 15. I have three ED behaviors all in one: I restrict, purge, and binge. Ive never had complications because of my eating disorder but that doesn't mean I never will. It all depends.

There are studies and stuff that say Genetics play a part in eating disorders. Take my family for instance. My grandma is an emotional eater, my mom is a weird eater she won't eat till like 2 or so. My sister eats everything and anything and is obese. I have EDNOS. So all the woman in my family have some type of issue with food.

I'm glad that you have realized people are wrong about your weight and that you aren't fat and are embracing the way you look. Good for you.

Amber16 November 22nd 2014 09:08 PM

I am actually pretty petit. I'm on the lower end of the healthy range I just have bigger boobs and hips. So that's why they sometimes say I'm built like Beyoncé when I'm actually pretty petite.

obelus November 24th 2014 11:09 PM

I suppose some people may think an eating disorder is a quick and easy death, but maybe because I know better I know it's a very painful and agonising death. Here's a really interesting article called Anorexia and Bulimia: Cracking the Genetic Code. I thought it was really interesting and worth the read.

Personally, I know people who had a great life and had an eating disorder. I also knew people who had a bad life and developed an eating disorder. I think it's a bit of both environment AND genetics.

Don't listen to your family though. You are beautiful inside and out. :hug: