TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
pheonia Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

It isn't helping. - January 16th 2015, 03:09 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I purge. Not always, it hard to be quiet when vomiting every thing out. I know that I eat too much. And no matter how hard I try to cut down on my portions it just doesn't work. Also my meds and lymph node disease make me put on weight. I've put on a good.. {Edited}. I am now at {Edited}. I feel disgusting. Fat. I just want to be thin. A normal size. I want to be beautiful. Even my mom is starting to wear my clothes. It hurts. Especially when people remind me how fat I am. Even my dad called me a pig.

I don't know what to do anymore.

I know, I know the sun is hot
Mosquitos come suck your blood
Leave you there
All alone
Just skin and bone

When you walk among the trees
Listening to the leaves
The further I go the less I know
The less I know

Where will you run?
Where will you hide?
Lullabies
To paralyze

Last edited by Kindred; January 16th 2015 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Please don't include weight numbers in posts, they're against the Code of Conduct! :)
  Send a message via Skype™ to pheonia 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: It isn't helping. - January 16th 2015, 03:25 PM

Hey,

Purging won't help you lose weight, as you can't get rid of everything you eat- some stuff starts getting digested as soon as it enters your mouth! So this isn't an effective (or healthy) way of losing weight. My advice is to see your doctor, and try and devise a meal plan with him. It's not about eating less, it's about eating everything in moderation. No foods are inherently "good" or "bad", you just need varying levels of each type.

It's not fair at all for your dad to speak to you like that, and it might be worth reminding him that, even though it was probably meant as a joke, saying things like that really hurts and can really make you feel bad. It's not right that you have to hear things like that. You're beautiful. I know you won't believe that, but you are.

If you can't stop the purging alone, consider mentioning it to your doctor. Some therapy or other treatment can be really helpful, as it's a horrible behavior to kick. You are not lesser or more of a person because of your weight. It may be healthy for you to lose weight, so if that's the case (and see your doctor) go for it! But you're just as important regardless of your size.

Hugs, and I hope everything works out for you <3

Take as long as you need.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: It isn't helping. - January 16th 2015, 07:03 PM

Hey there,

I learned the hard way that purging is one of the least effective ways to lose weight, not to mention the awful impacts that it can have on your health and your body down the road. As Laura mentioned, some of the substances in different foods begin to break down and digest almost as soon as they are swallowed because of the way your body receives the nutrients. Even through purging, you will not be able to get rid of everything that you consume, including some of the calories. I don't say that to scare you or upset you - I just want you to see how ineffective purging really is.

Do you have a doctor or family practitioner that you see on a semi-regular basis? If you do, make an appointment with them to discuss your diet. Your weight gain could simply be because of the fact that you're eating the wrong things or that you're not eating enough of the right things. Both of these are incredibly simple fixes that can be done in a much healthier manner. Try teaming up with them to create a diet and exercise plan that is doable for you. It's possible that they may bring a nutritionist into the mix if they feel it is necessary, as their specialization is in proper eating. Either way, they will be able to help you come up with a realistic, healthy plan for you.

I really think you need to talk to your dad about the things that he said. Whether he meant it as a joke or not, it was a completely unacceptable thing for him to say. Let him know that your weight is a sensitive topic for you and that his words hurt you. I'm sure he'll be understanding of it and will hopefully be more conscious of his words in the future.

Best of luck!

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: It isn't helping. - January 17th 2015, 06:56 AM

I'd say for the purging, you know, just cut back on your portions a little at a time... you know, to stop a bad habit, you need self-discipline, and to build self-discipline, you need to be able to deny yourself that last bite.
The way your stressing about the way others feel about you... Just relaaaaaaaaaax.
I mean, its so much easier said than done... but when you stop caring about what other people think, everything tends to fall into place.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Re: It isn't helping. - January 20th 2015, 12:38 PM

I agree with what everyone else is saying. Purging does not help you lose weight. It just causes damages to your body. It harms you in the end. Are you currently seeing a therapist/counselor? If not, I highly suggest that you do as there seems to be something in your waking life that is causing you some sort of distress.

Your dad has no right to talk to you like that. It isn't right whatsoever. Have you tried talking to your dad about what he called you? If you haven't done so yet, it could be a good thing to talk to him about it.

Member Since 1/15/2012

Last edited by .:PrincessZelda:.; January 22nd 2015 at 03:38 AM.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
crotia Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: It isn't helping. - January 20th 2015, 03:49 PM

Hey.

Please look within yourself and try to get on a healthy diet.
Here are some videos that may help you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOBihz7gTkk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su5cvPN30MA

And you could change self harm for purging in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3jF2nx7NZA

She has tons of videos about eating disorders so look around.

Helping others sometimes makes it easier to feel good about yourself and help yourself.

So PM me if You want.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread