TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Em. Offline
I don't even like cats
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

I don't know if I have it - February 5th 2015, 07:03 AM

So six months ago I started to skip meals and exercise a lot, I would go 2 days without eating and I lost a lot of weight. I became incredibly underweight. The last few weeks, I have felt like I'm losing control, I try to not eat and then I end up binging and I can't stop. I know I've put on weight and it makes me feel awful but I don't have the ability to not eat anymore.. I can't have anorexia if I binge surely?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
fallingstargirl Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Estelle

Re: I don't know if I have it - February 5th 2015, 08:51 PM

Hey,

While it sounds like you might not have anorexia, there are other eating disorders you could have. We can't give you a definitive answer, though -- you'd have to ask your doctor for that. I would suggest doing this, if possible, because even if you don't actually have an eating disorder, starving yourself and binging is a health issue that should be taken care of.

In the meantime, try planning what meals you're going to eat every day and when you're going to eat them. Figure out a healthy lunch you can bring (Sandwich, a piece of fruit, and yogurt, for example) and try to stick to your plan. Of course, it may not be that simple, but it's worth a try.

Hope that helped, and good luck!

~Estelle

The opposite of war isn't peace - it's creation
~Jonathan Larson

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: I don't know if I have it - February 5th 2015, 10:53 PM

Hey up

{Obligatory "We can't diagnose" message}

Regardless of the name for what you're doing, it's not right. Names of conditions are often only used for clarification, they shouldn't act as validation of your suffering. Although, while we're on the topic, I believe you can be anorexic and binge- binge eating/ purge subtype, I think. Anyway, that aside, you have a problem, and it needs sorted. Don't use your symptoms to exclude yourself from a criteria if you'd otherwise think to seek help. Especially not binging- losing control over food and binging after not eating is a biological response due to your body being in starvation mode and not eating enough calories, or that's what I was told. Not a lack of self control, not a lack of ability. So don't feel guilty about it, look at it as another reason to seek help. A way to stop the binges is to control your hunger by eating regularly.

You also mentioned this has been going on a while. That's another warning, and something that indicates that you need to see a doctor. This isn't something you can mess around with, and I'm sorry if this isn't what you want to hear but you need help. It's so dangerous to mess around with food intake and wrecks so much havoc on you (and those around you). Seek help and dig yourself out of this. Be brave <3

If you don't want to seek help, try doing it alone, but set a limit for yourself. If you're not able to eat say, 3 meals a day after a week or you still can't control the binges, seek help then. You need to be firm with yourself here, you can't let yourself slip even further.

Good luck

Take as long as you need.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Re: I don't know if I have it - February 6th 2015, 09:11 PM

I agree with what everyone else is saying. We are not medical professionals so we can not diagnose you.

Was there a specific event that happened six months ago that may have caused these disordered eating behaviors to come about? Are you currently seeing a therapist/counselor? If not, I highly suggest that you try to see one as it may be beneficial to you in some way. I know asking for help is a terrifying and scary thing to do, but it is worthwhile in the long run. The therapist/counselor are here to help you out in anyway possible.

Think about the possible consequences restricting, starving etc. does to your body. You are depriving yourself of the necessary vitamins, minerals, etc. your body really needs to function on a day-to-day basis. I am not trying to guilt trip you; I am just trying to tell you what I know and what my counselor has told me. You may think that this is the way to go in regards to losing weight, but it really isn't and it is detrimental to your health.

Try setting up a meal and exercise plan. I know it can be really hard, but try incorporating this into your day-to-day life.

I really think your best course of action is to see a doctor. You may have an eating disorder or you may not have an eating disorder. I think it would be best to see a doctor just to make sure it isn't anything serious.

Member Since 1/15/2012

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: I don't know if I have it - February 11th 2015, 05:27 AM

Hi Emily,

As was mentioned previously, we are not able to tell you what you have and do not have because we are not medical professionals.
I do not believe there is denying that this is some form of disordered eating however for specifics you should talk to a qualified mental health professional.
It is not safe to starve your body, binge and purge. These actions are very damaging physically and psychologically and the longer this goes on, the more challenging it will be for you to gain control of things in a healthy way with the support of those around you and mental health professionals.
Try thinking back to six months ago. Could something have happened that may have led you to taking these actions? Trauma can occur in many forms and people react to it differently and this could be how you are reacting.
It may help to keep a journal associated with how you feel when you eat meals and at times you starve to see the differences. Hopefully the journal will help point out some things you may not be fully focusing on and be a place you can get all of your emotions in one place and possibly some ideas for change.
Take each meal as you can. Do your best to eat most meals each week (I know it is challenging) and hopefully with time you can set new patterns for yourself. It will be challenging but you can do it!
Take care and I am always open for a PM. You can message me any time.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#6 (permalink)) Old
crotia Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I don't know if I have it - February 11th 2015, 05:41 PM

If not one of the others you surely sound like EDNOS

Helping others sometimes makes it easier to feel good about yourself and help yourself.

So PM me if You want.

Closed Thread