TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Kayla

Not sure how to tell them.. - June 18th 2015, 07:16 AM

At my last therapy appointment I told my therapist about my eating problems. Later that week she called me and told me that I should tell my parents so I can get help from the Emily Program because she isn't well educated in Eating disorders and neither is the new therapist I'll be seeing (She's leaving) anyway she said that I could tell my parents by myself or she can help me during my next appointment. It's something I want to try and do on my own so they have time to process everything before I go to my next appointment but the thing is I don't know how to tell them. I'm so scared of bringing it up and even though I know eating disorders don't discriminate against weight I'm still terrified that because of the size I am nobody is going to take my disorder seriously. I just want to have my life back and enjoy life again but I'm so scared of the steps I'll have to take to get there. I know I can't do this on my own. I don't know how to tell them.

sometimes you gotta fall before you fly.
I believe that we all fall down sometimes

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Not sure how to tell them.. - June 18th 2015, 07:45 AM

Hey Kayla, I'm so proud of you for wanting to tell your parents about this, but I can understand why you're nervous. There are several different ways to go about it, one would be to write them a letter explaining everything and then give it to them or you could write down what you want to make sure you tell them about it and have the conversation with them. It might be tempting, but I wouldn't suggest email or texts, you'll end up having to have the conversation about it anyway.

Try your best to tell them yourself if you feel like you can, then you can use your next session to process their reaction and figure out your next steps. If you can't though, I think that's okay too, your therapist can help you tell them if you need her to. I know it's scary, but you can do it, good luck

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Not sure how to tell them.. - June 20th 2015, 06:33 PM

I'm glad you've come to the choice of telling them. That's a big hard first step to take but you've done it so be proud of yourself. Talking to parents can be really hard and difficult and I can relate to the feeling of not being the "right weight" to have an eating disorder. I'm not underweight according to the BMI system but I have EDNOS and Bulimia. I never thought people would believe me and I didn't want to be diagnosed but it was kind of a relief when I was because then people started treating me for it. Eating Disorders aren't always about someones weight, you know? And it's great that your therapist wants to put support in place for you. Take it with both hands.

If you find it hard to tell your parents, try and sit them down and tell them you have something to talk to them about. And if that feels to hard, write something down for them to read or even print this of for them and let them know that way.

Just remember you deserve help and don't deserve to suffer alone. Hope this helps.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread