TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lionheart Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Oliver

My friend - August 27th 2015, 09:07 PM

Hey guys,

I have a friend I meet up with yesterday and we talked about a lot of stuff and to make things short, she talked about how she went on a diet. That one where you can't eat any carbohydrate.
Then she explained to me about how she made it her target to get to a certain weight and the second she said the number, I was like "How tall are you?" because I kinda have of some numbers down in my head. And she told me and let's just say her target is way to low. She already is underweight and she is still trying to loss weight. I told her, that xx kg is to low but all she said was, that it's ok, because she's still eating stuff, so there is no need to worry.
And yes, she is eating, because we went to a restaurant and she ate. But despite that, I'm worried.
I always call her birdy in my head because she is so small and it's like if you don't look, the wind will blow her away and I'm so worried something will happen to her, if she keeps that diet up...
Though I don't know exactly if there is anything I can do expect telling her to see a doctor because she complained about stomache pain and trouble concentraiting.
Is there anything I can? Or am I maybe worring to much about this?

It's ok to give in to an urge or make a mistake. You are only human and we all have our flaws. We all have our weak moments and we all make mistakes. Thats what makes us human.
Thats what makes us unique and beautiful

Courage isn't always a loud roar. Sometimes it is a quiet whisper at the end of a day saying: Tomorrow I will try it again!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: My friend - August 29th 2015, 10:20 PM

Hi there,

I don't feel like I know enough about your friend to say exactly what you should do in this situation but from what you have said, I can get why you have the concerns you do. Yes you maybe worrying over nothing, I don't know. But either way you're her friend and you are going to worry when she comes out with things like this because you care and I think its really great and kind of you to come here to get some support with what's going on for your friend right now.

Talk to your friend in depth. Tell her your concerns and what you have said to us and about how you are worried about what path she may be going down and that you don't want her to go down that path. I know it can be a hard conversation to have so just go easy, be gentle and let her talk too. If you really are concerned about her, advise she seeks help from her doctor/GP. Sometimes just having someone to talk to can really help. Or you could even refer her onto this website and see if we can help her (not that we're professionals but we can give advice on the situation).

I hope this helps a little and that things work out well for you both. Remember to take care of yourself too!
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: My friend - August 30th 2015, 11:41 PM

Hey there!

I'm no professional but the fact that she complains of stomach pain and trouble concentrating does sound concerning. Although that could be connected to anything, you know? Regardless, you're a very caring friend for simply being concerned and worried about her. So I'm sure she would appreciate it if you were to politely voice your concerns and worries to her.

As Jessie said, gently express your worries and let her talk about it too. Let her know that you're worried about her pursuing this diet because you care about her health. You could suggest that she at least see a dietitian to ensure that she can stay healthy while she continues this diet.

Hope this helps and that your friend is okay. Again, you're a caring person and a good friend. I wish you the best of luck. Take care of yourself as well.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lionheart Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Oliver

Re: My friend - September 5th 2015, 06:55 PM

Thanks for the ideas.

I talked with her again and she told me that she has gone seen a doctor. It's nothing physical, but she's now getting some sort of hel, though she didn't want to tell me exactly what.
But I'm positiv that things will turn out alright!

It's ok to give in to an urge or make a mistake. You are only human and we all have our flaws. We all have our weak moments and we all make mistakes. Thats what makes us human.
Thats what makes us unique and beautiful

Courage isn't always a loud roar. Sometimes it is a quiet whisper at the end of a day saying: Tomorrow I will try it again!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: My friend - September 5th 2015, 07:08 PM

That's brilliant! Since she's getting help and you're happy with the way things have turned out, I'm going to close the thread, but please feel free to start another if you want to talk about this more or need some support!

Take as long as you need.

Closed Thread