TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Combatting negative body image - October 16th 2015, 08:11 PM

I'm not skinny, and I'm not saying that because I have a warped image of my body, I mean, I do but I also know I'm not thin, I just have to shut up the part of me that thinks I'm way way bigger and uglier. I was doing so well; I might have been verging on being bulimic and displaying a lot of unhealthy habits and thinking but I was nearing s healthy weight, not one that's considered medically obese. Then I screwed up and gained all it back. I have few clothes that fit and make me feel pretty. I feel ugly and slow.

I went on a shopping trip with my mom. Usually I love shopping but this time I spent the entire time holding back tears. I couldn't find anything that looked good that I liked and that I thought would still look good once I lost a few pounds.

I don't know what I want I guess I just want to know others understand.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#2 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Combatting negative body image - October 16th 2015, 09:00 PM

I understand completely. I am considered morbly obese and have an ed so I think I'm a lot bigger that I am. The only place I can find clothes I actually like and that fit is a plus size store called torrid. Lane Bryant is good for work out clothes. If you ever need to talk I am here.

My advice is try to eat healthy meals. Three meals and two snacks is what my food plan is. I'm really bad at giving ed advice because I'm stuck in mine sorry.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: Combatting negative body image - October 16th 2015, 09:16 PM

I'm sorry you feel this way. That must have been so upsetting to go clothes shopping with a negative body image.

One thing to remember is that clothing sizes vary with brands. Just because something won't fit doesn't mean you are the problem. Regardless of your weight, I'm willing to bet you'd still look great in the clothing you were talking about because you don't have to be skinny to look pretty. Would it help to focus on the clothing itself rather than looking at the size tag? Maybe you could avoid looking at the tag and just do guesswork on what you think will fit. Just remember that size isn't everything because a certain top with a particular color can compliment your hair or your eyes. Your weight isn't all of your features, and it isn't even close to all that you are as a person. You mean a lot more than your weight, okay? Don't forget that.

Is your mom generally supportive? Maybe you could talk to her about your insecurities regarding your negative body image and how upsetting the clothes shopping was for you. She'd probably be reassuring and comforting now and hopefully the next time you two go shopping therefore reminding you that you don't have to be a certain weight to look good. Figuring out how to see yourself positively independently is important but having reassurance from people close to you could help a lot to get you on that path.

You aren't alone. I don't know if that's comforting but you are not alone in these thoughts and feelings. A lot of people here on TeenHelp would understand what you are feeling and going through. Clothing sizes can be so imitating but you're worth a lot more than sizes and what does and doesn't fit. I hope you start feeling better and are able to go clothes shopping and feel more content while doing so.

Hope this helped somehow. PM me if you'd like someone to talk to. Take care.

Closed Thread