TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lionheart Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Oliver

Angry I feel like the odd one - November 18th 2015, 06:17 PM

Well, this is more of a rant than anything and I'm not even sure, if I'm in the right forum, but since it's all about food... well...

So, I keep an realy close eye on my eating habbits because I have a tendencie to restrict. I have that rule though, that I have to eat an apple around noon, that i have to eat one full meal a day and drink at leats three liters.
I always thought with these three rules I have somewhat healty eating habits and stuff.
But recently I've noticed more and more that the people around me eat much less than I do. One friend of mine sometime sgoes two or three days without eating because she isn't hungry and she looks absolutely healthy. My roommate comes home nearly every day and claims shes hungry because she hasn't eaten anything that day and all she eats is a piece of bread with chees. Not more. And she looks absolutely stunning. And another friend barely eats anything too, though she is underweight, but still.
It's kinde freaking me out. I feel like I'm eating so much. Like I'm stuffing myself because of my rules and if they are fine with eating so little, why can't I do it as well?
I'm constantly telling myself that I need to stick to the rules, because that's the healthy way, but everyone else is healthy with less food, so maybe I'm wrong? Maybe it's enough to eat a cracker with chees, instead of a full meal.
It would get rid of a lot of tension, if I could just cut back on the food, but my head is constantly telling me not to....

Yeah, probably not making any sense at all, but it's just so frustrating!

It's ok to give in to an urge or make a mistake. You are only human and we all have our flaws. We all have our weak moments and we all make mistakes. Thats what makes us human.
Thats what makes us unique and beautiful

Courage isn't always a loud roar. Sometimes it is a quiet whisper at the end of a day saying: Tomorrow I will try it again!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: I feel like the odd one - November 18th 2015, 09:37 PM

Hey there.

I understand why you'd feel like the odd one out. When everyone else is eating so much less than you, it can be triggering and make you rethink your own eating habits. The thing is, the people you are talking about seem to be the ones with unhealthy eating habits, and yours sound healthier. I can't say that with certainty not being a professional, I'm simply going by you have said in your post. You're doing your best to at least eat an apple and a healthy meal. I'm proud of you for putting in effort to continue healthy eating habits to combat your tendencies to restrict.

Whereas, the people around you don't appear to have healthy eating habits at all. Your friend can go two or three days without eating anything at all, but even if she claims she isn't hungry, she should still eat healthy meals because going days without eating is incredibly unhealthy even if she doesn't realize it. The body needs protein, vitamins, nutrients and other things in food. Not only does not eating affect a person physically, it affects them mentally as well in terms of moods. She may look healthy, but it doesn't mean she feels healthy and physically is on the inside. And being thin doesn't mean a person is healthy. That only applies if they are using healthy methods to stay thin such as having a good diet paired with exercise.

Eating less food can be healthy, as long as it isn't extreme and so little food that you begin restricting to an unhealthy level. Eating lots of food just to be eating to the point of feeling uncomfortable can be considered unhealthy, but it is very important to find a balance in eating a proper amount of healthy meals. If you're uncertain of your eating habits, I suggest speaking to your doctor for guidance on a healthy diet consisting of the right amount of food that is right for you. You don't have to follow everyone else's eating habits because what works for them may not work for you, and it also may not be healthy. Speaking with a doctor for professional advice could help you a lot in developing a meal plan you know is healthy.

I know it is probably really hard when everyone around you is eating less, it must make you feel bad about it but know that you're only treating yourself with kindness by putting effort into being healthy. You're feeding your body what it needs, not depriving it of what it needs. I don't personally know anyone around you, nor am I a professional to diagnose them, but I hope they see a doctor regarding their eating habits just to be safe. I don't know the full story and busy lives may prevent healthy eating, but it doesn't sound healthy from what you have said. I just hope they aren't dealing with any eating disorder behaviors or symptoms from another mental or physical illness causing them to not feel like eating.

I know you are just ranting and I hope it helped you get things off your chest. I understand it's frustrating when you seem to be eating more than anyone around you, but think about it as nourishing your body and taking care of yourself. Do what's best for you and your body. Find what works for you, what gives you the most physical energy and what makes you feel good and keeps you fueled during the day and go with that. I realize other people's eating habits can be extremely triggering, but you deserve to be healthy and happy, so I really hope nothing gets in the way of that.

Not sure if this helped at all, but I hope it did. I wish you and the people around you lots of happiness and health. Take care and stay strong.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lionheart Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Oliver

Re: I feel like the odd one - November 20th 2015, 07:03 PM

Thank you. I'm feeling a lot better now. Had a few bad days and it was just pilling up, but your words really helped me.
I guess I needed the reminder that what I'm doing is the right thing, even if it feels like the wrong thing on bay days.

It's ok to give in to an urge or make a mistake. You are only human and we all have our flaws. We all have our weak moments and we all make mistakes. Thats what makes us human.
Thats what makes us unique and beautiful

Courage isn't always a loud roar. Sometimes it is a quiet whisper at the end of a day saying: Tomorrow I will try it again!

Closed Thread