TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LANIKA Offline
blue steel
Not a n00b

Name: Lanika

Having a "high intake" but still struggling. - June 3rd 2016, 08:58 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Heyyyyyyy...

I have a restrictive ed - my diagnosis was/is AN-BP - but when struggling I have an intake that seems large compared to others with restrictive eating disorders. On days when I'm engaging in restrictive behavior, I'm exercising for about an hour or so and am eating three meals a day with a couple snacks thrown in. The calories in my intake are comparable to what somebody without an ED might eat when healthily dieting. So, this looks normal and family and friends will often comment positively on my intake.

Sometimes it feels like I might not even be authentically struggling with a ( potential? actual? ) relapse because I'm eating something that is close to normal. I know that there is no intake criteria for a diagnosis of anorexia nervosa, and am capable of determining - logically - that I do still have a huge problem with food and body image. But it doesn't seem. . . As real. And it's like, because of this - because my behaviors aren't super noticeable - I use this as an excuse to warp my thoughts into thinking that I have "permission" to continue what I'm doing as long as I don't let myself get any worse.

Idk what I'm saying man. I just wanted to know if anyone else has had similar experiences? Or if anyone could offer any advice to be to overcome this mindset.

Thanks x

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Having a "high intake" but still struggling. - June 3rd 2016, 09:43 PM

Hey,

I haven't dealt with this exactly but I have a similar mindset in regards to not feeling like my issues are severe enough due to the fact that I have an overweight/obese BMI.

When I was restricting in the past I would have days where I ate relatively normal and this would fuel the feelings that I wasn't spiraling downwards.

I think that society has this idea that someone with an eating disorder is supposed to look a certain way, do certain things and eat a certain amount but the fact is that eating disorders look different for different people.

Have you ever considered talking to a therapist ( I am uncertain if you are seeing one) about these feelings/thoughts you are having? If you have a therapist that you click with and that understands ED's (Some don't and it can be more damaging then helpful) then they might be able to help you get to a better place in regards to your thinking.

The only reason I ever took my eating disorder seriously was because I had a counselor who believed me and helped me get into a treatment center. If I hadn't had that therapist I probably would have never really accepted that I do have an eating disorder.

I don't know if this helped since I struggle for different reasons. But, I wanted to say something in case it might help. If you ever want to talk feel free to message me.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread