TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Cullen Offline
Regular TeenHelper

For those of you who have no experience with eating disorders- - May 19th 2009, 10:10 PM

To those of you who don't have an eating disorder, and have never been very close to someone who has one, what do you think of them?
What do you think of the people who have them?
Do you think they are stupid/weird?
Do you think that those with ED's who make themselves throw up are disgusting?
What do you think of eating disorders in general, and what do you think of the separate disorders? (anorexia, bulimia, overeating disorder?)
What would you think if you suddenly found out that someone you knew had an ED?
What would you think if it was a member of your family? (eg. cousin, brother/sister, son/daughter?)

I'm just interested to know what an eating disorder looks like to a complete 'outsider'. I want to know what other people would think about me if they found out.

Edit by Sarah: Just a reminder to keep replies respectful, rude or hurtful comments will not be tolerated. Thanks. [:

The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows...
Keep The Blood In Your Head, And Keep Your Feet On The Ground.

Nov 29th 2010 <3

Do I Divide And Fall Apart?
My Bright's Too Slight To Hold Back All My Dark.

Last edited by ForeverAutumn*; May 20th 2009 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Reminder to keep respectful.
  Send a message via MSN to Cullen  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
star_crossd Offline
Color Me Chaotic
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sam

Re: For those of you who have no experience with eating disorders- - May 20th 2009, 06:05 AM

Well I've never actually had one before but I've come close to being bulimic :S
So, unlike most "outsiders", I can sympathize with them. If anyone I knew had an ED, family, friends, etc, I'd definitely support them and try to help them stop.

Yesterday I saw you kissing tiny flowers
But everything that lives is born to die
And so I say to you that nothing really matters
And all you do is stand and cry.

Music is life. Start living.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: For those of you who have no experience with eating disorders- - May 20th 2009, 06:37 AM

To those of you who don't have an eating disorder, and have never been very close to someone who has one, what do you think of them?

Well, I've only recently gotten pretty close to some people with EDs. I honestly think it's sad that people feel that they have to do this to look attractive or to make themselves feel better. I hate that they're in that kind of pain.

Well, it's hard to make a generalization, so many people have them and they're all different. In general, I understand why they are doing it. I've had self image issues, so I can really understand it.

Not even slightly.

No. I feel bad that they are doing something so unhealthy, but they aren't disgusting. Maybe what they throw up is, but them as people? Not at all.

What do you think of eating disorders in general, and what do you think of the separate disorders? (anorexia, bulimia, overeating disorder?)

Well, I admit I don't know really as much about them as I'd lke, so it's hard to form specific opinions I guess.

I would want to help them, and probably give them a giant hug

What would you think if it was a member of your family? (eg. cousin, brother/sister, son/daughter?)

Same as above, only an even more giant hug.

~Cody

Normal User

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: For those of you who have no experience with eating disorders- - May 20th 2009, 07:29 AM

I think that most of them are really great people who simply have a hard time seeing themselves in a good light, but that don't deserve to go through something such as an eating disorder.

Not at all.

No, I don't. Though I've never had an ED, I would assume that most of the people who throw up after they eat aren't doing it intentionally, but rather that it becomes an addiction and is hard to control, and it's unfair to assume it is disgusting, if I have never faced it.

I don't have to much of an opinion on them, since I don't have much knowledge on them. But I'd assume that they're all a lot similiar to any other kind of addiction and are extremely hard to deal with.

I'd hope that I could help them recognize that they have a problem and encourage them to get help with it so that they can recover, and I'd tell them that I'd be there to support them through it.

Same thing, really. I'd hope I could help them and be there for them and encourage them to get help with their ED.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: For those of you who have no experience with eating disorders- - May 20th 2009, 09:34 PM

As someone who was bulimic for many, many years, I still think making yourself throw up is pretty disgusting. I mean c'mon, how is it not?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
love__me Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: For those of you who have no experience with eating disorders- - May 20th 2009, 09:58 PM

the action itself is disgusting, but the person doing it isn't.

You are beautiful just the way you are.
Looking like a fallen star.
Don't listen to what people say.
They don't know the real you, anyways.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
love2laugh Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: For those of you who have no experience with eating disorders- - May 20th 2009, 10:22 PM

I feel sorry for them. However, I know a few girls who pretend to be anorexic for attention and that pisses me off. When I found out one of my friends had an ED I gave her a huge bear hug and had over to my house. She stayed with my famialy for a week during that time. It was hard for both of us.

Drop me a PM anytime, about anything!
I would love to talk to you!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
LiveLaughLove Offline
L☮VE = the answer (=
Not a n00b

Name: Simone

Re: For those of you who have no experience with eating disorders- - May 21st 2009, 01:03 AM

I do have friends who I'm around regularily who've had EDs, but I've never had one, nor have I really gotten in-depth with any of them about it. What I think about them... well, there are tons of different types of EDs... but I think they're all rooted from a place of insecurity. Unhealthy ways to loose or gain weight in an attempt to attain whatever their personal image of beauty is.

I think that people with EDs are insecure with their bodies to the point where its become something of an obsession...and struggle very much with that.

Nobody's stupid or wierd... and everybody has insecurities. No one should be judged or ridiculed more because of those insecurities.

No. Everybody does things diferently; I think that all EDs are definitely unhealthy, but I'm not up for judging, because I know that, never having had an ED, I can't fully understand anyway.

Again, I think that all EDs are unhealthy, and rooted in a deep sense of insecurity about outer beauty. I also think its sad, because really everybody is beautiful in their own way and if you really look you could honestly say that everyone you look at has something pretty or handsome about them. But not everyone sees it that way... anyway, I don't think that any one ED is better or healthier than another, and that more attention ought to be payed to EDs in general, beause it really is a big deal, and oughtn't be ignored or brushed aside (the way I've observed the subject being treated outside of TH) I also think that its important to show that you care.

I'd be sad that they don't see themselves as just fine or beautiful the way they are... because everyone I know really is beautiful in their own way. But I'd be ready to go talk to them about it if they felt comfortable, and I'd let them know that I'll always be there if they wanted to talk... I wouldn't quite know what else to do :/

Same as my last answer.

PM anytime (: ................ ☮ ♥ ♪ ♫ la la di da : )
i am beautiful because that's how i see myself.
talented, because i have confidence in what i do.
scarred because at times, i couldn't take it.
strong, because one day, i chose to be.
loveable because i've learned to love myself.
and also because, same as everyone else,
i was born that way.

Last edited by LiveLaughLove; May 21st 2009 at 04:17 AM.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: For those of you who have no experience with eating disorders- - May 21st 2009, 03:30 AM

what do you think of them?
I think they are an unhealthy way to lose or gain weight.

I think they are obsess with their body and they feel an urge to control their bodies.

No.

Again I think they are insecure and think their bodies are the only thing they can control.

I really don't have much knowledge about them, so I can't really say what I think about them. I do know they are an unhealthy dieting way.

I would be sad, and try to help them in whatever they need. Actually I just found out my friend has anorexia. It's really depressing because she has a normal body size and for her to think she is heavy is depressing.

The same way as my firend.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: For those of you who have no experience with eating disorders- - May 21st 2009, 03:54 PM

well i suppose technically i don't come under this criteria because my best friend had an ED, but i'll answer anyway? you'll probably be hard fetched to find someone who has absolutely no experience with an ED in some way, i.e. at least knowing someone who has experienced it. my opinion on the whole thing is that it's really sad that people feel the need to go to such extreme lengths. i find ED's difficult to understand. i think that's why i didn't cope with my best friends ED as well as i probably could/should have. i just didn't understand how someone so beautiful could think so little of themselves.

i certainly don't think badly of them. although i have come across some people who just want to be anorexic/bulemic for the attention, the vast majority don't actually want to be in that situation.. well from what i've come across anyway.

i don't think they're stupid or weird, no.

i don't think the people themselves are disgusting, but what they do to themselves is.

as i've already said i think it's sad that people feel the need to go to such extreme lengths. i guess overeating disorder comes under a slightly different umbrella than anorexia and bulemia, although i suppose similar things could be the cause of both of them.

well when i found out about my best friend i was really upset. and i feel awful about it now, but actually i was a bit angry as well. because we were all trying to help her and she was just pushing us away. i know now that it was her ED doing this, and not her just being a bitch.. but it's difficult to see it at the time. she's doing great now, and i have a lot of admiration for her for getting through it because i know how difficult it was for her.

i would probably think similarly to when it was my best friend..

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#11 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: For those of you who have no experience with eating disorders- - May 21st 2009, 04:04 PM

Well, I can't say I fully understand because obviously I have never experienced it. I think they just show that a person needs some help and isn't feeling so good at the time. I think it is a bit like self harm, a way to cope.

I don't think they are stupid or weird at all, I think people with eating disorders are actualy more likely to be clever than stupid. Lots of people with EDs are actually really nice people, they are just finding it difficult to deal with something.

I don't think they are disgusting. I couldn't imagine doing it myself, I find the idea of being sick disgusting, but I don't think the actual people are disgusting because I dont really think it is their fault.

What would you think if you suddenly found out that someone you knew had an ED?What would you think if it was a member of your family? (eg. cousin, brother/sister, son/daughter?)
I would try and help, try to get them help. I would just want to support the person really and help them to feel better. My sister has an eating disorder already (used to be anerexic is now bulimic). I worry that she won't get better and will do herself serious damage and die if Im honest. I was quite shocked when I realised she had one because she seemed so happy but now I just feel worried for her.

x

PM // VM

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: For those of you who have no experience with eating disorders- - May 28th 2009, 04:47 AM

To those of you who don't have an eating disorder, and have never been very close to someone who has one, what do you think of them? I just think that it's an unhealthy lifestyle they've adopted because they have insecurities just like everyone else.
What do you think of the people who have them? That they must be struggling.
Do you think they are stupid/weird? Nope.
Do you think that those with ED's who make themselves throw up are disgusting? Nope.
What do you think of eating disorders in general, and what do you think of the separate disorders? (anorexia, bulimia, overeating disorder?) I think it's a pity that negative emotions manifest themselves in that way.
What would you think if you suddenly found out that someone you knew had an ED? I wouldn't be surprised. If they wanted to talk I'd be there to listen.
What would you think if it was a member of your family? (eg. cousin, brother/sister, son/daughter?) Same as above.

I'm not exactly an "outsider" because I do have problems with body image and my eating habits, but I don't technically have an ED.

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

(#13 (permalink)) Old
lemony Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: For those of you who have no experience with eating disorders- - May 28th 2009, 02:36 PM

I don't like it when people assume that people with an ED or depression are attention-seeking, self obsessed or pitying, sad or "need a good kick up the backside and snap out of it" as if it were that easy and simple! I don't like to be so judgemental ad damning, to be honest. I have known people who are not particularly close to me, who have an ED, plus I myself an prone to (undiagnosed) episodes of depression and have obsessive & unhealthy eating habits & thoughts, so how could I judge another with a mental disorder? I would be a massive hypocrite.
I most certainly do not think that people with an ED are stupid or weird (unhealthy, perhaps, but not even statistically abnormal or uncommon).
These people are in emotional and physical pain and need help, not prejudice.

x

(#14 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...
I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: For those of you who have no experience with eating disorders- - May 28th 2009, 10:19 PM

People with eating disorders are people you meet everyday. Sometimes it's the people you wouldn't suspect to have one that sometimes do. I think people with eating disorders are desperately looking to have some kind of control over something in their life.

I don't think eating disorders are stupid because there is bound to be a reason behind them. I do find them weird but this is because I've not had any experience of them myself.

Part of me does think why would you purposely want to physically make yourself be sick.

I think in general these are people who need support who aren't getting it in some way or another and people with eating disorders need to be helped because these are life threatening illnesses.

It would probably really shock me because unless you spend lots of time with someone you don't even pay much attention to their eating and if you see people have lost weight generally you assume it is done healthily.

I would be really shocked and I would try my best to get them all the help they need. I would also try to listen to what they wanted and what they thought.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
wanderlust Offline
zz
Junior TeenHelper

Re: For those of you who have no experience with eating disorders- - May 28th 2009, 10:29 PM

Tbh they freak me out, not because its so weird or anything, but its just such a complex thing to develop almost a fear of food and have to confront it everyday etc.

Well all sorts of people have them so its difficult to answer really

Honestly no, i think its like SH that a lot of people have the tendencies or something and probably understand it better than they think but it just hasnt gone as far.

no, honestly its a little tempting at times(im not calling wolf here, i can just see the point)

anorexia aside from anything the discipline is scary. Bulimia seems more understandable(as in anorexia just isnt relevant to my personality as much), overeating i totally get. I dont have a disorder nor am I overweight, but i do eat far too much.

Pissed off for not seeing it myself, and would want to help all i could.

What would you think if it was a member of your family?
I would hope that they let me in and become paranoid i had something to do with maybe!!

A single thread in a tapestry
Through its color brightly shine
Can never see its purpose
In the pattern of the grand design

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Hyde Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Brandon

Re: For those of you who have no experience with eating disorders- - May 29th 2009, 06:56 AM

Well I'm a compulsively healthy eater, luckily it never developed into an eating disorder, though you could label me an extremist. As far as what I think of people with eating disorders I can sympathize, I don't look down on them at all and I think generally people shouldn't. I have a very poor self image which has contributed to my extremist healthy eating quite a bit, so I understand why people develop these disorders. If you do suffer from an eating disorder, I highly suggest that you seek help, and also with any problem, don't get down on yourself, don't think lower of yourself because you have an issue, after all just because you have a problem doesn't mean you are a problem pm me if you need someone to talk to
  Send a message via AIM to Hyde  
Closed Thread