TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Starting to hit the healthy weight but - September 14th 2016, 03:01 PM

Hi everyone I'm starting to hit a decent weight for my myself and build but one question which I do have is that I'm still struggling with being hungry all the time! All I think about is food and I'm fed up with my life being dominated by food all the time how do I stop this? I made a thread similar to this but I thought I would make one focusing on the problem as it's more updated now Im at a decent weight (well not far from it) and still I'm struggling with this obviously I don't want to over eat I eat the recommended [Edited] calories which my doctor asks me to eat but still for some strange reason I can't get this to go away it's causing me so much frustration how do I deal with this problem? I just want to go back to being normal and eating normally with out even thinking about stupid food all the time.

Last edited by LlamaLlamaDuck; September 15th 2016 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Removing calorie numbers.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Starting to hit the healthy weight but - September 14th 2016, 05:59 PM

this can be a psychological issue and/or a physical issue. For psychological, if you feel bored or just feel like food is an escape, it can be like on your mind a lot. If you use it to cope, or just as a way to zone out, it can be yoire having urges to binge. But from what you said here, you don't have a binge eating habit, is that right?
It can also be if you're restricting/skipping meals/starving or not eating well balanced meals for any other reason, it can be a sign of not having enough nutrient dense food.
These issues can be addressed with a counselor or mental health professional, or if you prefer self help and other means of support. Stress management, time management and meal prepping can also be helpful skills for resolving this.
Next, I encourage you to check for an underlying medical issue. It can be side effects to any medication you may be taking. It can mean many different things and with the help of your doctor you can find out what is going on

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Starting to hit the healthy weight but - September 20th 2016, 08:05 PM

I think people who struggle with eating disorders even those who are in recovery struggle with constant thoughts of food running through their mind. They've had a life where food has become a devil to them in some way, whether its through starving, binging or purging. So when we eat we think about what we are eating and when we're not eating we think about what we have eaten, how its going to affect our bodies and what food we'll be eating next. I think this is all about getting into recovery and learning that there are other things in life to think about more. I know if I had a bad week around food, I isolate too, so food is there on my mind all the time, but if im around friends and at uni, then I don't think about it so much. It sometimes still worries me but its not so dominant. Maybe it becomes habit or maybe its because we've been swollowed up by the disorder we have, that its hard to leave it behind and forget about it. Maybe its different for everyone; Im just one person. As for feeling hungry all the time, maybe its your body just getting used to being fed properly again and its craving nutrients so its hungry to tell you I need this and that. you know?

I hope you're doing okay!

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Starting to hit the healthy weight but - September 20th 2016, 08:38 PM

If you are looking to gain weight, you need to be eating more than the typical recommended amount that you listed. Calories in will need to exceed calories burned through daily activities and exercise. Talk to a dietitian rather than a doctor and establish what your goals are more clearly (as somebody with the goal to gain weight won't be recommended a low amount), and make a plan around macro-nutrients to make sure you're eating a good balanced diet that supports an increase of muscle mass. If you are hungry, you're not eating enough, I promise. Hunger cues are healthy, and you need to listen to them. Sometimes, people eat when you are bored, but your persistent complaints of hunger after eating tells me that you are not eating enough. Your body is right. Eat more.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
Closed Thread