TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DomoKay Offline
Fire behind her eyes
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kelsey

Restored Weight, Body Judgements - September 15th 2016, 01:18 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I have ARFID, Avoidant/Restrictive Food Intake Disorder, which for me basically means I was terrified eating because I would unintentionally vomit after eating because I was restricting so much that my body couldn't process food (simplified, non-scientific version ). I went into residential treatment and just graduated my Day Program treatment, and am now continuing outpatient. My treatment team thinks I am around my set point, and I didn't restrict because of body image issues.... but after seeing my body at a "restored, healthy" weight, I can't help but to have some major judgement about my body, particularly in my stomach. I just feel and look so bloated all of the time, to the point where I believe I look pregnant. I know the re-feeding process is long and complicated, and fat usually tends to store in the abdominal area first (to protect your organs), but I am just so embarrassed sometimes, especially after I eat. I'm trying to tell myself that this is a process and a journey, nothing is immediate... But I'm beginning to feel super self-conscious and uncomfortable, more than ever.

I'm beginning to worry that maybe I do have body image issues... I know sometimes anorexia and ARFID can go hand-in-hand/is underlying.

I'm not quite sure what I'm asking here, I guess I just need some encouragement and reassurance that my weight will balance out... Thank you!

we've escaped our capture

Laugh loudly, sing like no one's listening, dance like no one's watching, stay in the moment, get that adrenaline pumpin', deep breaths, be easy on yourself <3 PM me

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: Restored Weight, Body Judgements - September 18th 2016, 01:27 AM

Yes, your weight will distribute. More than that, you'll adapt to seeing a body in the mirror that is healthy, as opposed to the body that required refeeding, and that's the end goal! Congrats for your progress in recovery, I haven't been here for a while but I remember reading one of your posts a long time ago and it seems you've come really far. Well done, recovery warrior

Take as long as you need.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Restored Weight, Body Judgements - September 20th 2016, 03:02 AM

I agree with the above poster. I know when I was in treatment and some of the girls were gaining weight and reaching that equilibrium they'd make a lot of comments about how 'fat' they were being made too be. However, as time got by they accepted it more and one girl even admitted that she looked good that way.

Gaining weight when you have an Eating Disorder can always be disconcerting. I don't know much about the ED you had but even if weight wasn't a huge factor behind it, it's going to be a shock to put the weight back on.

I would suggest that you talk to your treatment team about it just so you can keep them up to date about how you are feeling.

Maybe you could do something nice for yourself when/if you are feeling low about your body like go getting a pedicure and a manicure. Or, if you are comfortable go get a massage. There are other things you can do as well. If it were me I would go buy a book!

I hope that this helped and I am wishing you the best of luck. If you need anything feel free to message me.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread