TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Relapse and aniexity - November 11th 2016, 04:32 AM

Hi basically I'm gonna make this quick and simple

I went through anorexic recovery I started Bing eating loads of rubbish and couldn't stop I gained aot of weight and went over weight so my doctor reckoned. I've now relapsed and I'mosing Wright again rapidly (I'm getting the appropriate support) and I'm worried that because I've gained and losed I'm like 2 months will I die or something? Or something bad happen to my health I'm really sceard in case I have like a heart attack or something I read loads of articles on the Internet about how it effects your heart rythem and now I'm just sceard shit less. I'm probably overheating your probably reading this and thinking '' woah calm down'' but I have really bad aniexity so a year thing supportive would be appreciated thank you.

What happens if you gain really fast then lose really fast?
Sorry for any spelling mistakes I'm on my phone

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Relapse and aniexity - November 18th 2016, 09:16 PM

Rapid weight cycling is not healthy and can cause long-term impacts to physical health, but I don't think that it's going to highly impact your cardiac health immediately. That being said, I'd work with your medical team and make sure that you continue to stabilize your weight and get weight restored and that you are receiving comprehensive support both emotionally and behaviorally. Talk to your doctor to check in on the reprecautions that this relapse might be having.

I hope you are doing better, stay strong.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Relapse and aniexity - November 21st 2016, 02:33 AM

Hi Justin,

I know how hard it is to gain weight after recovering from an eating disorder. I have had to go through that personally.

Just like Traci has mentioned is that losing and gaining weight so rapidly can cause long term health issues. If you rapidly lose weight then you are doing it an unhealthy weight. This also means that when you lose the weight unhealthy you won't keep if off for that long. Whereas if you lose it in a healthy way than the chances are that you'll be able to keep it off longer, as long as you stay at a healthy weight.

Another thing is if you lose a ton of weight really quickly you don't actually burn any fat. You just lose water weight and soft tissue. Which means that is a lot easier to gain weight when you start eating again.

The way I see it is that if you want to lose weight, do it in the healthy way of eating healthy and exercising. However, make sure you stay at a healthy weight for your body type.

Stay strong,
Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Relapse and aniexity - December 1st 2016, 10:14 PM

Hi there.

Eating disorders in general can have dangerous effects on your physical health. As can losing a lot of weight quickly as well as restoring weight quickly. I know someone close to me who is in recovery from anorexia now has osteoporosis at 24 and might be in a wheelchair by 35. I know other people who have died from heart failure due to being a low weight etc. I however know people who have gone through the same disorders but it's had no effect on them physically so while it can have these effects, including affecting the rhythm of the heart due to mostly it being a muscle and when you lose too much weight your body begins to eat away at muscle, it may also not effect you at all.

If you are overly concerned about your health, I want to encourage you to see your doctor. They can do blood tests, ECG's, bone scans etc. However, until you know anything for certain, try and not to worry but maybe use this fear as a reason to focus on recovery.

If you ever need any help and support with what is going on, please know we're here to listen and here to help you! You don't have to go through it alone.

Hope and wishes,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Relapse and aniexity - December 1st 2016, 11:26 PM

Hey Justin,

It's been a while since you've posted but I thought I would comment. I am not gonna add on to what the others have said but I am going to say that you should get some tests to help determine how your body is holding up. I remember when I entered eating disorder treatment they made me see a general practitioner and they made me do a whole slew of blood tests to check how things are going on. I think you should also get bone scans and an EKG. You should be able to explain to your doctor that you have this and would like some tests and they should know what tests to run. If they don't they should be able to consult with a doctor who will know.

Best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Relapse and aniexity - December 3rd 2016, 05:57 PM

Thank you this thread can now be closed.

Closed Thread