TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Noire Online
When is the future?
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Trouble ahead - November 22nd 2016, 12:36 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I wrote a blog post about this, but I thought I'd post here to actually ask for advice.

I've never been formally diagnosed with an eating disorder. However, last year for several months I developed some very unhealthy "disordered eating patterns." It was the second time in my life I'd done this, as I had the same problem as a teen, too. Basically I wouldn't eat more than a certain number of calories a day that was MUCH lower than recommended and if I ate "too much" I'd make myself throw up. The only reason I stopped was because I started to get depressed. When I get depressed, I eat a lot more junk food/sugar because I find it comforting. This depression has lasted about a year. In that time, I've gained back all the weight I lost last year and added more.

While I was depressed I didn't really care. But now that my depression is lifting, I'm becoming obsessed with my weight again. It doesn't help that two people made comments about it in the past month. It made me very self-conscious. I worry when people see me all they see is fat and I can't stand it. It's really upsetting.

I can already see myself getting carried away. My depression is still too tiring for me to go to the gym, but my eating "plans" are starting to get out of control. I want to know how I can stop this before it gets started. How can I learn to lose weight in a healthy way without getting obsessed?

Love joins
Love unites
Love breaks us apart
The power to conquer here in our hearts
Enduring and sacred
Eternal as time
For love, love alone will conquer all

"A Million," by VNV Nation
  Send a message via Yahoo to Noire  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Online
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Trouble ahead - November 22nd 2016, 01:43 AM

I think it's great that you realized this so early on and that you want to tackle it now.

I've never struggled with this, which is actually pretty surprising because both of my parents are kind of obsessed with theirs and tried to push that onto me (bringing it up, making comments about my and their weight constantly and how much I/they ate etc.) at a young age when I was perfectly healthy. After my whole graduate school thing, I'm at the heaviest I've ever been because I put on a significant amount. The way I always think about it is that I did what I had to do to get through what I was dealing with and that meant gaining weight. Dealing with it in an unhealthy way will only make me feel worse (sick) so I'm going to do the best I can to take care of myself. It's also nobody else's business and when they survive what I've been through, then they can judge how I did it.

Unfortunately, we can't control other people so sometimes they will say inappropriate, unhelpful things (my dad, ugh), that doesn't mean they're right or that you have to take that on. Mental illness is hard and hard work, you owe it to yourself to stay as healthy as possible. I don't know if that helps or not. For specifics on amounts or types of food, a professional would be your best bet, and if you have a mental health professional, this would be something to bring up with them too. Good Luck

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Trouble ahead - November 22nd 2016, 02:51 AM

Hi Jordan,

I am actually currently going through the same thing. A couple years ago I lost a ton of weight, then when I was put on more hardcore medication for Bipolar I gained all my weight back and more, just like you. I've started to obsess over my weight again and I'm trying as hard as I can to make sure I don't fall back into my old habits.

What it really comes down to is trying to change the message that's going on in your head. The best and healthiest way to lose weight is to eat healthy, portion control, and exercise. You could start by changing your diet. If you google healthy meals I'm sure you'll find some healthy meal ideas. I read that you're energy levels are still really low, and I completely understand that too. What I usually do is take my dog for a short walk around the block. That way I'm getting a bit of exercise, but it doesn't take up much energy.

I read online, I can't post the website as it breaks TH TOS, but it says if you lose weight slowly then you're more likely to keep it off. However, if you lose the weight quicker you mostly lose water weight and tissue, so you don't really burn any fat, which means you're more likely to gain weight back quicker.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can do anything else

Stay strong!
Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Trouble ahead - November 22nd 2016, 03:23 AM

Hey Jordan,

I am glad your depression is lifting a bit but I am sorry you are struggling with your weight. I know having the negative thoughts gets really tiring and it's hard to fight them. You might want to try on working to change your thoughts though. This is what they preached in eating disorder treatment. Basically, when you are having a negative thought and you realize it you need to try and change it to a positive thought. If you do this it could help you to fight the urge to give into your eating disorder thoughts.

Something that might help is making a list of positive affirmations and repeating them when you have a negative thought. Also, posting positive things about yourself around the room and around mirrors you might look in can help as well. It will remind yourself that your thoughts about your weight are not a fact.

I agree with Brittany, slowly changing your eating to more healthier things is better. Try and make it fun as well. Look up healthy recipe's and get your whole family involved in the process of making that recipe.

I hope this helped and I am wishing you the best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread