TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Himitsu Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Yuki

Looking like an athlete - January 3rd 2017, 12:21 AM

So, I'm a recruited Div 1 athlete by some major fluke. The only problem is that I don't look like an athlete. I'm pretty strong and relatively in-shape, but I'm definitely carrying some fat and I weigh edited more than my teammates. These last two months, I've gotten really concerned about my body and trying to look like an athlete because I came in feeling like the team made a mistake recruiting me, plus when people find out that I'm an athlete they're always surprised.
I had never had any sort of body image issue until I started college. Then, after just one week of being on the team, I started developing a diet and trying to lose weight. (I'm not even in a sport like gymnastics where my appearance or weight would matter.) My teammates have never said anything or anything like that; all of my paranoia is coming from me. Now I count calories and can't go a day without working out at least a little bit. I throw up at least 3 times a week and most of those are after small binges. It's gotten especially bad since I've been home for winter break and can't reject the food my parents give me. Especially when they make treats just for me - turning it down would definitely tip them off or at least insult them.
I have a goal weight that I'm working towards and I'm very careful in my strategies to lose weight because I'm in the middle of competition. Does anyone know some healthier ways to approach this, because the more frustrated I get the more drastic my strategies are getting and I want this to just be a transition stage until I reach the level I need to be at.

Last edited by Hypothesis.; January 5th 2017 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Please do not include indications of weight. :)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
fallingstargirl Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Estelle

Re: Looking like an athlete - January 4th 2017, 11:32 PM

Hey!

I would suggest talking to a coach or athletic trainer at your school who would have information on healthy ways of cutting weight (and be able to tell you if you actually need to cut weight or not). They'll be able to give you information that's specific to your sport and your health, and if it's someone you see often, they can help keep you on track with recovery. If you wanted to talk to your coach, you could probably even do it without telling them about the eating problems you've been having, and instead just ask if they have any advice or tips on staying at a healthy weight level.

You could also try talking to someone who has more experience in helping with eating disorders, like a counselor. Since you know that all of your concerns over your weight are coming from yourself and you know that weight doesn't actually make a big difference in your sport, it sounds like this is a very mental problem that could be solved better if you talked to someone about it and got help from someone who specifically knows how to help with eating disorders.

Good luck with this, and with your competition!

The opposite of war isn't peace - it's creation
~Jonathan Larson

Closed Thread