TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Janina1660 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy What is it?Binge Eating? - February 5th 2017, 07:15 AM

Hello,I am 16 years old and started to eat healthy one year ago.But yet I have everyday urges to eat.I just can't resist.I have told it my therapist but they don't take it serious.They have said that It would be normal for a teenager.I don't think so because it makes me feel bad.I am also not hungry when I have this urges.I eat more than everybody I know.What shall I do?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: What is it?Binge Eating? - February 5th 2017, 08:09 PM

Hey

Thank you for getting in touch here with us, for some help and support for what you are going through. You never deserve to be alone in this!

I think it is really good that you have noticed that what you are going through in regards to your eating is not normal and it's also great you have reached out for help with it. I am sorry that your therapist doesn't seem to be taking it seriously though.

You know you best. You say you began eating healthily. Do you still include all the food groups that you should have in your diet and are you ensuring you are having the intake that you should on a daily basis? If not, then sometimes this can lead to the body craving nutrients it isn't getting and I know people who that has triggered them to binge eat because their body so desperately wants that nutrients. Sometimes if we are not eating enough too, our body again will crave anything to ensure it gets something which can also lead to binge eating. Maybe this is something you could have a think about.

If I were you, I would again try to talk to the therapist you are seeing but go in to as much detail as you can. This could be the beginning of an Eating Disorder and Eating Disorders are serious. Its better to prevent it from getting worse before it gets any worse. If your therapist still doesn't take it seriously, then it may be worth booking an appointment with you GP/Doctor to talk to about the symptoms you are having and how it is impacting upon your behaviour.

And if you ever need to talk to us about it more in anyway or if you are ever struggling, know that we are always here for you. You are never alone in this and we will always do what we can to help you as much as we can!

Keep fighting and don't be afraid to keep talking about it to people to get the help you need and deserve.

Hope and wishes,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Almalutz Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What is it?Binge Eating? - February 9th 2017, 06:03 AM

Eating disorders are a group of conditions marked by an unhealthy relationship with food. There are three main types of eating disorders-

Anorexia nervosa. This is characterized by weight loss often due to excessive dieting and exercise, sometimes to the point of starvation.

Bulimia nervosa. The condition is marked by cycles of extreme overeating, known as bingeing, followed by purging or other behaviors to compensate for the overeating. It is also associated with feelings of loss of control about eating.

Binge eating disorder . This is characterized by regular episodes of extreme overeating and feelings of loss of control about eating.

Eating disorders tend to develop during the teenage and young adult years, and they are much more common in girls and women. No one knows the precise cause of eating disorders, but they seem to coexist with psychological and medical issues such as low self-esteem, depression, anxiety, trouble coping with emotions, and substance abuse. Not everyone who overeats is a binger. You might eat a lot of food throughout the day, rather than all in one sitting. And you might not do it regularly, but only when you’re feeling stressed, lonely, or upset.

How to control compulsive eating?

1. Seek help. It can be hard to stop overeating on your own, particularly if there are deep-rooted emotional problems involved. Working with a counselor can help you uncover the psychological triggers.
2. Avoid labels. “Understand that you’re not a bad person doing bad things,” May says. “Labeling yourself can become a self-fulfilling prophecy in terms of continuing the cycle.”
3.Take a pause. When you feel like eating, pause for a moment and ask yourself: Am I hungry? May says. If you use food as a coping tool, you may be out of touch with the cues that signal hunger or fullness, and it’s important to bring your awareness back to your body.
4. Change your environment. “A habit is very often simply a behavior that’s on autopilot,” Hudnall says. Making a tweak to your environment can return your focus to your behavior and give you a chance to make a more purposeful decision.
5. End restrictive diets. “Overeating and restrictive eating are often two sides of the same coin,” May says. “Deprivation can be a trigger for overeating just like stress, anger, or anxiety.”

Hope this might help you in some or the other way.

Closed Thread