TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
London1621 Offline
No worries
Regular TeenHelper

Name: London

Trying not to hide food. - May 11th 2017, 01:02 AM

I'm trying not to fall back into my old habits and not secretly hide the food in my room and binge on it. I am back fighting with my sister. When I get into a fight that's when I feel the urge to hide the food and binge eat. I wish this problem would go away but I don't know how to stop it.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Chai. Offline
Nitwit Blubber Oddment Tweak ♥
I can't get enough

Name: Kav

Re: Trying not to hide food. - May 11th 2017, 05:43 AM

Hey London,

There was a time when I used to hide food and binge eat throughout the night. It scared me a lot. I felt like there was no solution to my problem at all and I understand how you are feeling right now. Turning to food as a source of comfort seems like the best option at the moment but you and I, both know that it comes with a lot of after guilty thoughts.

I binged as a source of comfort, very similar to what you are facing. Arguments happen, it is a part of everybody's life. We need to take care of ourselves and try not to let these arguments get to us. Knowing our triggers help us tackle them. You said fights cause you distress and the urge to hide food. Is there another way you could deal with this trigger? I don't know what you and your sister fight about but if it is affecting you so much, is there an adult in the family you could turn to and confide in? If you are not comfortable talking to family members is there a teacher at school or any adult in your life that could help you? I understand talking to someone about your problems can be scary. Even though I highly suggest it, if you don't think it is a possibility right now, could you use other sources for venting your feelings. I used to write down about my feelings in a journal. Writing helped me process things and a lot of times my anger and hurt lessened enough for me to distract myself from thoughts of binging.

Since you have specified fights, I will tell you what I did after fights. Sometimes a fight can bring out a lot of negative emotions against the person we fought with and sometimes against the world in general. Write down these negative emotions on a piece of paper and tear it up. I used to flush these pieces away but I had a friend who burnt them. We called it 'throwing away the negativity' As kiddish as it may sound, it actually does help.

I also used a lot of distraction techniques. Even though this is an alternative to self-harm thread, I have used a lot of these alternatives as distraction techniques to take my mind of binging.

You said you don't want to fall back into old patterns and I have a feeling you have gone a few days without bingeing. I used to have my good days and bad days, everybody has them. I made a chart and marked the days I went without bingeing in green and the others in red. I used to keep targets and when I reached a certain number of green marks, I'd reward myself with something. It doesn't have to be something big, it can be a book, a movie or even a crayon set. Anything that you enjoy.

I hope this helped a little. I honestly believe you have it in you to fight this. You got this, London. Take it one day at a time and it will get better. I hope this helped. I am just a message away if you need someone to talk to. <3

Kav.

"Being happy isn't about having everything in your life perfect. Maybe it is about stringing together all the little things."

Community Mentor | HelpLINK Access | LiveHelp Access | Forum Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
London1621 Offline
No worries
Regular TeenHelper

Name: London

Re: Trying not to hide food. - May 11th 2017, 01:28 PM

Thank you for your help and I like your ideas you have. I am going to try them.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Trying not to hide food. - May 19th 2017, 08:04 PM

Hey London,

Like you, I used to use binge eating as a source of comfort. For me, food became a source of control when it felt like I didn't have a grip on anything else in life. It sounds like you're doing something similar, so I can definitely understand why your arguments with your sister have been a trigger for you recently.

One of the most effective tools for controlling unhealthy behaviors is finding alternatives. Take a second to stop and think about how you feel when you argue with your sister. Anger? Sadness? Stress? Once you identify the underlying emotion(s), you can start working to find different methods of channeling those feelings, rather than binge eating. For example, you could go on a walk/run (I've found that exercise works great for emotions like anger) or write down your thoughts in a journal to get some of your sadness out. If possible, removing yourself from the situation could be very helpful as well. Not only will it allow you to get some space from your sister until you both calm down, but it will also take you away from a place where you can hide food to binge. Focus on things that bring you a sense of peace and, when you feel the urge to binge, try engaging in those alternatives instead. Soon enough, they'll start to become second nature and may start to overtake the need to binge.

Take care,
Sammi

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

Closed Thread