TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Amy654 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Amy

Question Confused - August 9th 2017, 11:11 AM

I know I don't have an eating disorder but people have told me I could be developing one. I'm 5"3 and weigh editedkg/editedlbs. I sometimes skip meals if I know won't be getting much exercise but apart from that I think I'm very lucky. Advice please?

And for anyone who is struggling stay strong! You can get through it because nothing is impossible. Never give up.

Last edited by Hypothesis.; August 10th 2017 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Please do not include weight numbers. :)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Confused - August 13th 2017, 07:23 PM

Hi Amy, thank you for reaching out! Eating disorders impact people of all sizes. I cannot diagnose you with an eating disorder, but if you're preoccupied with food and feel that your eating has become out of control, either from restricting or eating too much, I'd recommend you see a professional about it, especially if loved ones in your life are expressing worry. One thing I'd remind you about is that you do not need to "earn" your food with exercise. Diet culture and "clean eating" pushes make it sound like that you must burn off every calorie you consume. You don't. Calories are energy, and you need them to simply live your life. Even if you do not have a diagnosable eating disorder, this kind of thinking can definitely lead to a problem down the line.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
shlomit Offline
Queen of the Cacti
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: ♔ Shlomit

Re: Confused - August 22nd 2017, 06:56 AM

Eating disorders actually have very little to do with weight. Aside from the finer distinctions between diagnoses, size is completely irrelevant. Disordered eating is defined by unhealthy attitudes and behaviors toward food and your body.

If you're skipping meals because you are trying to influence your weight, that could be an indicator of an ED. However, weight loss/calorie restriction can also be a symptom of a number of other illnesses, including major depression and obsessive compulsive disorder, with or without a clinical eating disorder. I would strongly encourage you to consult with a mental health professional. If you are concerned about your physical health and nutritional status, your primary care physician or a dietician would be a good place to start.

Closed Thread