TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
gloves123 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Rashel

Arrow No appetite - June 4th 2018, 02:05 PM

So I've been recovered from my eating disorder for a good 4-5 years now. I still get some of the old thoughts but I've grown and recovered enough to be able to dismiss and ignore them. But recently eating for me has been really difficult.
It started in my first year of university when the stress of school made me lose my appetite. The only reason I'd eat was to make my stomach stop growling, but never really because I wanted to eat. It's been like this ever since, and I'm going into my third year this September.
It's gotten to the point where I won't want to eat breakfast, but think it's okay because I'll just have a big lunch, but then come lunch time the thought of eating turns me off and I'll just have a snack to keep me going. The only real meal I eat during the day consistently is diner since I live at home.
I have a lot of trouble keeping my weight up, so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about what I can do to help convince myself to at least have two meals a day and a snack at breakfast.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount29

Edit avatar

Re: No appetite - June 4th 2018, 07:51 PM

Hey there, congratulations on being in recovery from your eating disorder for several years!

When I am stressed out, my appetite goes down and I can go 5-8 hours without eating. So after a reasonable amount of time (say 3-6 hours) I know I should eat again, but I just don't want to eat. For me, personally (may be different for others) is that when I force myself to eat after those 3-6 hours I feel nauseous.

I think maybe having small snacks throughout the day will be useful. Something that is high in protein and a good source of vitamins. Sometimes, all I have thru the day, if I am stressed, is snacks. Drinking some water will be useful too, as it keeps you hydrated.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Tuuamlo Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: No appetite - June 5th 2018, 10:04 AM

You should try eating with the company. I understand what you eat with your parents and it helps you eat.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Mikola Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mikola

Re: No appetite - June 8th 2018, 09:15 AM

How about sports? I know when you do sports your metabolism changes and your appetite become better.

Closed Thread