TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Comparison (read this if you want a bit of motivation for recovery) - July 11th 2018, 12:44 AM

Recovery is hard. Recovery is so worth it though. I have struggled with an eating disorder for a few years and I'm now going through the recovery process. There are times when I was so tempted to restrict because I felt like my story had to be just as "bad" as other people's recovery stories. I thought, "I shouldn't recover 'too quickly' because then it would prove those right who always told me to just get over it". I thought my recovery story had to involve weight gain from a previous underweight status. But I was never underweight. My eating disorder never made me underweight like the stereotypes. I wanted to do everything I can to make my story " valid" because for so long, I have been rejected and invalidated from the people I care about.

But guess what? It doesn't have to be that way. I know you might struggle with the same thoughts. Trying to get "sicker" or "worse" before you recover because otherwise no one will care. That is a lie. Recovery is so freeing and you don't have to live this way anymore. You don't have to live in the way of trying to achieve something to make your story important or valid. You, as a human being, are so special and I want you to remember this. Please just know that we are all different and there's a reason that many of us don't get underweight from constant restriction or why that tends to lead to binging. It's based on how we were created to be and you are beautiful just the way you were made to be.

I've had to learn this for myself. You deserve more than your eating disorder. You deserve to be free. You are loved so much and you are strong enough to make it to the other side. It always was so triggering when people who are recovered acknowledge the EDs that don't "get" to be underweight but they themselves were officially considered anorexic. If I were to be encouragement for anyone else, I want my story to be one that is relatable to so many more people. I am okay with saying that I've never been underweight, I was never anorexic. I struggled with many different EDs through the years and there was not a time that it made me happy. I am ready to be free and you can be free as well. Stay strong, my friends. You can do this. Recovery is possible.

I've only been recovering for a few months and I've already made so much progress. Don't let this ED define you or let this stigma determine the speed at which recovery happens. Take it at by day, moment by moment and at your own pace.
Love you all!!!!
Never give up on yourself, your life or your future.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Comparison (read this if you want a bit of motivation for recovery) - July 15th 2018, 02:36 PM

Thank you for sharing. I agree with a lot of this. I think it's an important message to send our users.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount29

Edit avatar

Re: Comparison (read this if you want a bit of motivation for recovery) - July 15th 2018, 09:08 PM

Thank you for sharing this, your final few sentences really helped me.

There is no set deadline for recovery, especially if you've (me) have struggled with the ED for fourteen years. I can take fourteen years to get back to where I should be and that is okay!

Closed Thread