TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Average Joe

Pica? - November 17th 2018, 07:00 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

[SIZE="a"]I never see this type of ED being discussed but yeah.
Ever since I was young, I took on bad habits such as biting nails, picking scabs, chewing on pens and even swallowing some things.
For a while it was just grass, leaves, and little white clovers. Sometimes I pretended to be a deer and ate twigs as well.
But I also consumed my finger nails, picked scabs, and dead skin off my feet. Its gross, I know. But its always been a habit that stuck with me.
Of coarse, I ate food. And its not like I do eat objects everyday.
It would start out with just chewing on the objects, until I swallowed it. Mainly soft plastics like those connectors for glow sticks, dry hot glue, ice, blood (my own), and the rubber things on pens. Its mild now, but I still mostly consume ice, my finger and toe nails and dead skin.

And I hate my self for it :/ its very shameful.

And no, its not like I'm being starved at home.[/size]

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Saudade. Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Pica? - November 17th 2018, 04:15 PM

Hey there, I am sorry to hear you are struggling with this. I am sure you know we are not supposed to give anyone a diagnosis here on TeenHelp, as we are not medical professionals. I'm sure you know as with any eating disorders, there are risk factors [source from NEDA] that comes with them. pica is no exception. I suggest reaching out to a therapist or a medical professional to get the support you need. Just because it's unusual or not as common as anorexia or bulimia doesn't make it as serious or as valid as them.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
RORO Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Pica? - November 17th 2018, 04:22 PM

Hey, I am sorry you are struggling with this. I can tell you that you are definitely not alone in this. While I was in treatment for Bulimia Nervosa and also Substance Abuse for pills there was actually two patients there that suffered with the same thing you are talking about. Now these two people ate much more things then you are talking about and some were extremely harmful for their bodies and they had to be watched very carefully. I myself never fully understood the whole concept of it because like you said they ate pretty much like a regular person at meal times. That certainly was not me and the majority of the patients that were there. Don't really know the specifics of how they were treated or what their treatment plan was, but there are many people out there who suffer from this.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Pica? - November 19th 2018, 06:27 PM

I am so sorry you are struggling with this. Eating disorders can be very isolating sometimes but know that you are never alone. It takes courage to reach out to people on a platform like this. We are always here for you and we care about you so much.

Have you talked about this with anyone else before? Like a counselor or family member? Maybe that would be a good place to start. I know you can get through this!!! I don't really know that much about pica but maybe it would help to approach in similar ways as addictions/self harm like using distraction techniques?? Just out of curiosity, do you know what some of the underlying issues are? I know with everything mental health related, there are always deeper explanations and underlying issues. A lot of times with anorexia and bulimia (or various subtypes along with restriction/reactive eating/purging), its usually predominantly about control. For you, is it about searching for comfort or...? Maybe it would help to search for those reasons or journal if you don't do that already. I know that's usually what happens in therapy so never hesitate to reach out to a therapist. I know it's helped me a lot and I also like to read books about the things I struggle with because they usually give pretty good advice and exercises that help change behaviors and heal past wounds.

I hope this helped. Don't forget that you are loved so much and we care about you. You're never alone, okay? You can get though this. I believe in you!!

PM/VM me anytime you need, okay?
Take care,
Cheyenne

Closed Thread