TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CrackpotGenius Offline
Fish Eater
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tabee

Points: 9,375, Level: 14 Points: 9,375, Level: 14 Points: 9,375, Level: 14

Pushed to anorexia - June 9th 2009, 02:49 PM

I didn't know where to post this, but thought that this was probably the best place to put it :]

I used to have a kidney problem, and because of that I have to go and have my blood pressure taken every year, but recently the doctor or nurse who's been checking me out has asked if I'm anorexic, and this has got me worrying slightly. Am I too thin? Should I be anorexic, would it make them feel better. I take a size xxx in all my clothing, and I'm told by nearly all of my friend's that I'm really thin. Is it odd that I'm worrying about this?

Champagne
sham-pag-un

Last edited by ForeverAutumn*; June 9th 2009 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Clothing size edited out, against ToS.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Elz Offline
Average Joe

Points: 10,768, Level: 15 Points: 10,768, Level: 15 Points: 10,768, Level: 15

Re: Pushed to anorexia - June 9th 2009, 03:07 PM

hey!

well first question i'm going to ask is do you eat normally?

some people are just naturally slim and skinny and they still eat properly.
if it really is concerning you i would say talk to someone about it.
but if not then i wouldn't worry about it too much.

take care, xo
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
ForeverAutumn* Offline
together, we are infinite.
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 17,267, Level: 19 Points: 17,267, Level: 19 Points: 17,267, Level: 19

Re: Pushed to anorexia - June 9th 2009, 03:43 PM

Hey Tabee,

I don't think it's odd that you're worrying about this.. it's good you realize maybe your weight is a bit lower than it should be. The biggest problem when it comes to an eating disorder, is not being able to see how small you may be, and not being able to see how you really look.

If you're eating properly, three balanced meals a day and such, I don't think there's anything to be concerned about; however, it might be worth seeing your doctor anyway. If you're losing weight but eating normal, there may be a medical reason behind it. Always better to be safe than sorry, yeah? Your doctor could also answer your question of whether you're too thin or not. For one thing, BMI's, weight numbers etc aren't allowed on the site but even if they were, we're not medical professionals so we couldn't tell you for sure.

Honestly, it would make them worry so much more if you developed an eating disorder. Eating disorders are very, very serious and incredibly dangerous. It's definitely not a path you want to go down, especially if it's only because you think it'll ease the worries of those around you.

Let me know if you'd like to talk about anything, ok? Take good care of yourself. <3

how could anyone ever tell you, you are anything less than beautiful?| PM Me
self-harm free since 06.10.11.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Points: 53,926, Level: 33 Points: 53,926, Level: 33 Points: 53,926, Level: 33

Re: Pushed to anorexia - June 11th 2009, 10:24 AM

Hey there, Tabee.

If you're eating properly and all (three meals a day, most days, plus snacks if you're hungry, etc) then you probably do not have an eating disorder. That said, I'm not a doctor and cannot diagnose you one way or another.

Being thin doesn't mean you have an ED, but it would be cause for medical professionals to wonder and ask. Because eating disorders are becoming more prevalent in our society, all medical professionals (including dentists) are (or should be) on the lookout for signs of their patients having an eating disorder. If you're eating in a healthy way and aren't purging or restricting, be honest with them about that.

If you think you have a distorted body image or an eating disorder, take advantage of this opportunity to talk to your doctor about this.

Let me know if you ever need anything, Tabee. I'm just a PM away. =)

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind
Closed Thread