TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ayak22 Offline
[Formerly LetGodArise/Ayak]
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Points: 12,581, Level: 16 Points: 12,581, Level: 16 Points: 12,581, Level: 16

It's not an eating disorder.. - August 11th 2009, 10:44 AM

I just.. think I need to post. I don't want to, I don't think it's important but my friend keeps telling me to so I guess that I should.

I just seem to have gotten a lot thinner, and then a lot more over the passing months. It's not that I don't eat, it's more not eating properly or something like that. I don't ever feel like making my own food so I don't eat if I'm not fed and even then I always end up getting perhaps a pie or some chips. I'll eat loads at times, cereal and stuff like that, but I don't actually eat proper meals, it seems. At school, yeah, but otherwise, generally not. At the weekend I'll spend my money on energy drinks or books if I have enough, and this is because I prefer that over eating on that day. My friend thinks that I'm trying to think of excuses not to eat, and I don't think it's that at all...

I don't know what it is, but a while ago my mum was threatening to get a doctor, now she just comments on my increasing weight and size loss. Jeans that used to be thin on me are hugely baggy, and ones with a tiny waist fall down on me. I don't feel as though I have anything to complain about. I wanted to make a thread but I think that it just seems like I'm trying to say I never eat, when I know that I do and I feel as though I'm just being stupid. I'm only really worried about how skinny I am now, and how much I feel bad or ill and how my body seems to ache and is very thin.

And at the end of it all, I didn't want to make a thread because I don't want to have to change anything. It's like I can't be bothered :/

I'm not sure why I'm even making a thread because I know any advice includes getting help or something. But yeah, my friend told me to. So any comments at all are much appreciated..

InherentlyObvious/LetGodArise/AyakTwloha
Member since Sep '08
Always here to help.
To Write Love On Her Arms

(#2 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Points: 12,746, Level: 16 Points: 12,746, Level: 16 Points: 12,746, Level: 16

Re: It's not an eating disorder.. - August 11th 2009, 11:55 AM

Hi Alex.
I know it can't have been easy for you to come forward with this, so well done for making a thread and at least making the effort to ask for some input.

I'm going to tell you what i think of all of this; but of course i'm not a medical professional by any means so my opinion to you is probably worthless but here goes...

It just seems as though you are aware of your poor eating habits but aren't really bothered by them, which to me says you need a bit of a wake-up call. I don't mean to be harsh but being underweight can lead to very serious health problems if this isn't natural for you to be so.

You say you feel bad being ill and thin; well this should motivate you to want to eat properly, no? If not...then seriously you DO need some extra help from either a counsellor or a doctor. It is not normal to eat so poorly and become underweight. You should want to be healthy right? Being healthy means eating a balanced diet. There is no excuse for being lazy when it comes to eating as we humans need food as our fuel; without it we'll be weak and lethargic and eventually die. I'm sure that's not something you want to happen to you, right?

There are plenty of meals you can cook for yourself which AREN'T time consuming at all. For example stir-frys, omelettes, wraps(can be eaten hot or cold), pasta, etc. I think you need to learn that cooking meals and eating CAN be fun again. You get to add your own ingredients so you know exactly what is going into your meal - it's just great, and a nice way to become more independent, and you'll feel really proud and happy with yourself after witnessing the outcomes of your meals

Why not cook with some friends? It can be a good hobby to take up, actually. There are so many delicious recipes out there to try, you need to excite your tastebuds is all =]

I hope everything goes well for you.
Take care x

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ayak22 Offline
[Formerly LetGodArise/Ayak]
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Points: 12,581, Level: 16 Points: 12,581, Level: 16 Points: 12,581, Level: 16

Re: It's not an eating disorder.. - August 11th 2009, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the reply. I know that I need to make more of an effort. It's usually just that if there is little food in the house or if I'm in a bad mood I'll just not be able to be bothered or won't feel like eating. I'm even like that with simple things, but I know that it's a problem and I need to sort it out. So again, thanks for the reply and I'm going to make a little more of an effort starting from now.

I think that just because I know that if I don't now I won't, I'll go make some food now, actually..

One of my outlook problems was that I'm worried that I'll be eating too much for myself and will feel ill from that, yet won't actually get anything positive from it. However, I'm hoping that I can try to block out negative thoughts..

Thanks again.

InherentlyObvious/LetGodArise/AyakTwloha
Member since Sep '08
Always here to help.
To Write Love On Her Arms

(#4 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Points: 12,746, Level: 16 Points: 12,746, Level: 16 Points: 12,746, Level: 16

Re: It's not an eating disorder.. - August 11th 2009, 03:09 PM

You're welcome!

I just hope that you can find eating and cooking pleasurable. If you're worried what you're cooking will be too much, then start off making small portions for yourself and if you still find you are hungry after that - have a dessert to fill you up & next time make your portions a little bigger. It's just like trial and error really, finding out what tastes good and what is okay for you to eat.

Take care x

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

Closed Thread