TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Marshmello Kid Offline
Curioser and curioser . . .
Average Joe

Name: Reid

Oh, Hello Eating Problems. - January 6th 2009, 10:07 PM

I've always had self-esteem issue, but I mean, who hasn't?

Eh, anyway. My best friend [after doing much, much, much research and talking to me, and blah blah blah] has decided I have an eating disorder. -_-

And I was talking to a few of my other friends, and they had said that they agreed with him. Becuase I hardly eat [one meal and 1-2 snacks is way to much, not way to less] Yay -_-

But yeah, now my friends are forcing food on me. And Kevin's all like *tear*

Right now, I don't need this, I don't need the extra stress this is adding.

And, Kevin said he would help me with it if I wanted it. Which means I actually need to *want* it.

So, I need help.

Help knowing that that's not enough food for a normal person. Help wanting help. Just help

Blah. . . I'm so lost.

And this is so horribly writen [sorry about that].

(I'm not asking to be diagnosed)

I honestly don't know what I'm asking.

I just needed to get this out.

“If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want
them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.”
-Albert Einstein

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

January 6th 2009, 10:19 PM

It's absolutely great that you have friends that care about you that much, but too much of anything is bad for you, help included. Maybe ask them to back off a little, it sounds like you're aware that yah, maybe there is an issue with your eating habits and you should address that. But in all honesty, is having all your friends on your back about it at once really helping that much? I'd expect not.
You could try eating a bit more at a time, don't force yourself to eat, but try and eat a healthy amount and make sure you're getting all your vitamins. Do you not eat because you're not hungry or because you're afraid of gaining any sort of weight? If you're just not hungry this might not be an eating disorder at all and taking a supplement that includes zinc could be the solution to your problem.
If, however, this does seem to be an eating disorder to you, you should try and get help. A good place to start is your friends, who are already trying to help. The next step would be an adult who can help you that you trust, this could be a teacher, counselor, parent, friends parent, anything along those lines. They should be able to point you in the right direction for proper recovery, which isn't just forcing food down your throat when you don't want it. Recovery from an ED is actually wanting to eat right, not being forced to.
Hopefully this has helped, and if you need any support feel free to post here again, PM me, or call Live Help when it's online.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Marshmello Kid Offline
Average Joe

January 6th 2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFin View Post
Do you not eat because you're not hungry or because you're afraid of gaining any sort of weight?
I'm sort of, maybe a little, very very frightened of gaining weight
Kevin wanted to help me, and I was fine with it untill he said I'd gain weight, and it's make me look "healthier". . . or um, y'know. Huge -_-

Thanks for your reply [=

“If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want
-Albert Einstein

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

January 6th 2009, 10:31 PM

He's just trying to help, which I'm sure you know. But yah, you're not alone in your fear of gaining weight, and there are ways to help with that, but they mostly involve you speaking to a counselor about it to get some profesional help. Your friends can only do so much and none of them are trained professionals for this, the sooner you get help the easier it will be to get over this.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
floatingangel Offline
Junior TeenHelper

January 6th 2009, 10:46 PM

hey hun.. it's good that you've friends who're caring so much about you. (: and sometimes, i admit that we can't really see our own problems. what they're doing, trying to force food on you is probably not going to work, but that's the only thing they think they could do for you. is it possible for you to find a professional to talk to? a school counsellor maybe? you may not think you need help, but your health and future is at stake here, and it's better to have a peace of mind eh?

†
and the voice of truth tells me a different story
the voice of truth says "do not be afraid"

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Marshmello Kid Offline
Average Joe

Re: Oh, Hello Eating Problems. - January 11th 2009, 06:21 PM

Thanks for your replies.
But if I talked to a counselor about it, they would have to talk to my parent, wouldn't they? Letting my parents know (or anyone that would tell them) would be a very bad choice becuase chances are that wounldn't go well at all.

Right now I'm eating. . . becuase I promised Kevin, and he wants me to. But. . . I don't know how to fix this

-Albert Einstein

(#7 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Oh, Hello Eating Problems. - January 11th 2009, 07:52 PM

In middle school, I "told" on one of my friends who wasn't eating lunch. Our guidance counselor didn't tell her parents, or anyone else except the nurse. Every day my friend and I ate lunch outside the nurses office, together, (which, incidentally, helped both of us to eat) so she could watch what she was eating.

If you're worried about a counselor calling your parents, you can always tell them "I know someone who has an unhealthy relationship with food, but she's afraid to talk to you because she is worried you will call her mom." See how they respond, and tell them based on that. If they say they won't call, then they won't.

You can fix this by reaching out for help, like you are. You don't have to do this alone. You're such a smart girl, Reid, I can see it in your posts and I have for a long time. You know you deserve better. You deserve to wake up every morning, go to bed every night, walk through each day, without battling food. Try talking to your counselor. Maybe it could help, you won't know unless you try.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Marshmello Kid Offline
Average Joe

Re: Oh, Hello Eating Problems. - January 11th 2009, 08:07 PM

First of all, your post made me smile. Thanks [=

Second, that sounds like a good idea. One of my friends who's close with her councilor talks to her about once a week. I might ask my friend to ask for me. Then go from there.

Third, I showed this to Kevin, and you deserve a hug and chocolate/comfort food of your choice

-Albert Einstein

Last edited by Marshmello Kid; January 11th 2009 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Forgot words. . . Silly Reid

(#9 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Oh, Hello Eating Problems. - January 11th 2009, 08:20 PM

I'm glad it helped, even if just a little. :]

Just always remember that you deserve to win this fight. You are worth the help it will take. I'm always here to talk, or to offer a few words of encouragement. :]

I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be kind

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Marshmello Kid Offline
Average Joe

Re: Oh, Hello Eating Problems. - January 12th 2009, 10:08 PM

Thanks. [=

But, I've been thinking about it, and it feels like my problems arn't bad enough to get help. . .

My head keeps telling me that if I had a problem like this, I wouldn't be so fat, while people around me keep saying I need to gain weight.

. . . yay confusing-ness xD

-Albert Einstein

(#11 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Oh, Hello Eating Problems. - January 12th 2009, 10:51 PM

You will never feel like your problems are "bad enough" to ask for help. You have to trust in others, and believe in their judgment, and maybe take a risk or two.

Your head is tricking you, and by the sounds of it, isn't doing such a bad job. But you have to try to remember that the people who care about you want to see you healthy, and would not lie to you.

Let me know if you need to talk.

I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be kind

(#12 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Re: Oh, Hello Eating Problems. - January 12th 2009, 11:17 PM

If you don't get help now things can only get worse. Even if your parents find out they only want what is best for you. Eating they way you are is NOT what is best for you. Try to be strong enough to ask for help it will do a world of good in the long run!

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Re: Oh, Hello Eating Problems. - January 12th 2009, 11:21 PM

If you are too afraid to talk to your counselor you could always go to and eating disorders anonymous meeting. You can find meetings in your area by going to http://www.eatingdisordersanonymous.org/meetings.html. Maybe you could have a friend go with you for support. Remember when you posted this you were asking for help. DOn't let your ED talk you out of getting the help you need.

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

Closed Thread