TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
shyness_kills Offline
failure.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ayanna

Some Advice Needed - January 23rd 2009, 10:22 PM

I need some advice on how to be calm when I have to eat. I have huge panic attacks before and while I eat nearly every time and I get really unsafe afterward. I take small bites and take breaks when I need to but that doesn't seem to help much. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  Send a message via MSN to shyness_kills  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
love__me Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Rachel Sanders

Re: Some Advice Needed - January 24th 2009, 06:05 AM

can you try taking deep breaths? umm, try to make yourself calm before you even sit down to eat. When you are eating, try to make your mind think of something else? Please let me know if these don't work, and I will try to think of some more. also, add me on msn if you like.

You are beautiful just the way you are.
Looking like a fallen star.
Don't listen to what people say.
They don't know the real you, anyways.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Some Advice Needed - January 24th 2009, 10:06 AM

Breathing exercises work for me, sometimes. To take deep breaths, count in and out to a number (I use five) that you are comfortable with. It'll be something like this (you can count in your head):

In, Two, Three, Four, Five.
Out, Two, Three, Four, Five.

I tend to draw out five until I feel "full" of air. It's actually a feeling you get in your chest, and it feels like you can't take any more air in.

I also find that self-reminders are helpful, sometimes. "It is okay for me to be doing this," is one I use often. Confiding in someone, so they can say similar things to you, may help as well.

Good luck, Ayanna. Let me know if you need anything.

Remember you are worth it.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Steph-O
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stephanie

Re: Some Advice Needed - January 24th 2009, 11:26 AM

If you start going into a panick attack, mouth the ABC's. It actually regulates your breathing... my doctor told me to do this and it really helps me a lot. Also try cupping your hand over your mouth for a few seconds at a time if your around people and you don't want tem to know your nervous. For me the first bite is the hardest. try focusing on happy things when you eat or possibly get someone your close to to have an engaging converstion with while you eat. I know it's hard.

...but like jessie said, you are worth it.

Like a diet of the mind, I just choose not to indulge certain appetites; like my appetite for patterns; perhaps my appetite to imagine and to dream. - A Beautiful Mind

I met Steven October 3rd, 2008. We've been practically inseperable ever since. ♥
  Send a message via AIM to darkinnocenteyes Send a message via Skype™ to darkinnocenteyes 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
.Jess. Offline
Previously xxjessxx
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Some Advice Needed - January 24th 2009, 03:57 PM

I find it helps me if I am distracted when I eat, like if I am around other people who are talking to me somehow it makes the situation more natural for me. Because I have problems with food, eating is a huge deal to me and it would be to you or anyone else with eating problems so by making the situation more natural it can help you to calm down. Argh, I'm not explaining myself properly, let me try again...

To other 'normal' people eating is nothing, it's not a huge deal and its nothing to think twice about, but to us it isn't. So if you are around those people who don't pay as much attention to what they eat that calming effect they have when they eat something can rub off on you. I eat a lot around people who don't know anything, it helps to keep me distracted because they are forever chatting and it allows me to reassure myself that eating what I am is okay. I find it easier eating with people who don't know then do. I always feel if I am around people who do know there's more pressure on you to eat everything on your plate, those who don't know won't care so much. Does all this make sense to you? Or am I waffling about nothing

I find being around people after helps because it stops you from doing things you shouldn't. I get that unsafe feeling after eating too and I have to keep myself busy, is there something you could do after eating to keep you busy? I guess its all about finding something that works for you.

If you ever want any extra support throughout this please just get in touch, okay? Take care .

(#6 (permalink)) Old
kadyCHAOS Offline
sleep when your dead
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: kady

Re: Some Advice Needed - January 25th 2009, 07:21 AM

for me having a small portion on my plate helped when i was first starting to recover. i would usaully listen to music or read a magazine while i was eating. kinda took my mind off of it.

Closed Thread