TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
love__me Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Rachel Sanders

Letter From Recovery *might be triggering* - January 25th 2009, 03:45 PM

I found this a few years ago on another site, and I thought I would post it here. I hope it will show you that Recovery isn't the enemy, Recovery is your friend!!!

Letter from Recovery.
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Recovery. You may have feared me for a long time but hopefully we can become great partners. In the coming time, I will invest a lot of time in you, and I expect the same from you because I believe you can do it!
In the past you have heard all of your teachers and parents talk about you. You are "so mature", "intelligent", "14 going on 45", and you possess "so much potential". You donít see this but I tell you it is true, you have amazing talents. You are not perfect but thatís okay, no one is! All you have to do is try. Your time is not wasted on thinking and talking with friends and drawing. Such acts shall be encouraged!
Your friends try to understand you, they may not but they try only because they love you. In the past, when the insecurity has quietly gnawed away at your mind, and you asked them, "Do I look....fat?" and they answered "Oh no, of course not" why would they lie?! I tell the truth too. Your parents, even though you yell and scream, you know that they love you, and care for you, none of this is an obligation they wouldnít care if they didnít love you! I shall tell you a secret now: deep down inside themselves, they are proud of you. Their daughter, the one with so much potential, has done nothing but show them how much of a beautiful young lady she has grown into.
I would never change all that. I will just make it even better!
I expect a lot from you. You are going to have to work hard, I wonít lie but when those thoughts creep into your head and Ana tries to tell you your fat and ugly I will be here to fall back on to. I will show you this is not true and you have much to live for. You wonít have to count calories or restrict food but embrace food and the heath and happiness you will receive. For a while, you will be moving along with much motivation but when the first hurdle comes alongÖ donít give up! You will see how much clearer your mind thinks and you wonít have to worry about your hair falling out. I will never tell you that youíre not good enough. All that matters is when you fall down is that you DO get back up.
I will expect you to follow a meal plan and decrease your exercise, but is this too much to ask for in exchange to your happiness? I will be here to encourage you. I will help you to release your anger in a positive way and to know it is okay and healthy to feel those feelings of fear and sadness; donít be afraid this is the beginning to a life. I am with you always. I am there when you wake up in the morning and are afraid of breakfast; I will help you through it. The numbers on the scale donít define who you are and the obsessive thoughts, pray for them to be lower than yesterday, last night, etc. You look into the mirror with dismay but soon you will see the beauty that stares back at you. You prod and poke at your body never being satisfied so I will show you satisfaction when you can go through a day and not have the feeling of passing out and you are able to work and play. I am there when you figure out the plan for the day: 3 meals, 2 snacks and a 10 minute walk. I am the one helping you figure this out, because I want to see you happy and healthy.
I fill your mind with thoughts of positive thoughts, things that are happy to think about. I donít want to rule you I want to be your friend and your way of a healthy life. The hunger pains show you that you are alive and your body does work. It needs to be nourished so give it what it needs for once!
Donít be fakeÖ when you feel sad it is okay to cry. Talk to other people and find support, we cannot do this alone. When mealtimes come around donít be afraid! I will help you, its okay, I promise food will not make you fat. If you eat, all the control your eating disorder has will be broken... I want this for you but you have to want it too. Those perfect skinned, white teethed, waifish models you see everywhere are not happy, donít long to be them. You would never live life to the fullest. When you look in the mirror, Ana distorts the image. She shows you obesity and hideousness but I will help you to see the truth. When there is a starving child in the mirror I will change that to a beautiful, healthy, strong, nourished woman. Please eat again, our relationship will be beautiful and your enemy, Ana will come crashing down and have no control over you.
Sometimes you will have bad days and want to purge or starve yourself but think about where that will get you? Look back and see how sick you really were and how you were not happy. Hold onto faith.
When you want to turn back to Ana out of fear, ask me for advice because I will help you see reality. I donít want you to hate yourself or to be in any painÖ You have to want this also; our relationship wonít be successful if you donít want to help yourself.
When Ana wants you to hurt yourself, bang your head into the wall until you receive a throbbing headache, cut to see your blood, to feel you deserve whatever pain she gives you, I tell you donít listen! Why are you going to hurt yourself because other people hurt you? Talk about your hurt instead of stuffing it and you will heal. You are depressed, obsessed, in pain, hurting, reaching out and I am here. I care!! You are deserving of recovery!
Ana is unfair! She causes you more stress. Thoughts of anger, sadness, desperation, and loneliness never go away, calorie counting and obsessions only cover them but that canít last for forever. I help take away these feelings for good by healing and facing them head on.
Ana has a weak spot, we must tell everyone! If you decide to fight back, to reach out to someone and tell them about how she makes you live, all hell will break lose. She has made you a starving, hurt child. Fight back!!! When others comment, listen. Cling to everyone that tries to help you let go of your eating disorder. She your worst asset, and she intend to keep it that way but it doesnít have to be that way. I am here, I do truly care.
Sincerely, Recovery.

You are beautiful just the way you are.
Looking like a fallen star.
Don't listen to what people say.
They don't know the real you, anyways.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Letter From Recovery *might be triggering* - January 25th 2009, 05:24 PM

This was beautiful. I almost cried reading it.

--A

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.Jess. Offline
Previously xxjessxx
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Letter From Recovery *might be triggering* - January 25th 2009, 05:36 PM

Reading that did make me think and it did make sense. But because my head is so messed up for every positive thing that was said I managed to turn it around back to something else. I wish I didn't do that but I did.

That being said though, that's just my messed up head and the letter its self is really motivational and it really is something to fall back to when your trying to recover, something to help, so thank you for posting

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Re: Letter From Recovery *might be triggering* - January 25th 2009, 06:22 PM

That was really cool to read. Made me think alot. Thanks for sharing.

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
love__me Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Letter From Recovery *might be triggering* - January 25th 2009, 06:38 PM

Yeah, I really like this letter. I pull it up whenever i am feeling tempted to go back into the ways of Ana/Mia. I hope that this thread is helpful to everyone struggleing with an ED, that is why I posted it.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Katieee Offline
23/03/08
Average Joe

Name: Katie

Re: Letter From Recovery *might be triggering* - January 26th 2009, 04:39 PM

Aww, I like that.

"You'll always be my hero, even though you lost your mind."
  Send a message via MSN to Katieee  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
love__me Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Letter From Recovery *might be triggering* - January 27th 2009, 03:46 AM

yeah, Me too. I have been reading it for a few hours now, because some stuff has happened with a friend, and i've felt triggered. but, reading this letter, is helping me out a lot.

Closed Thread