TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Eating Disorders (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f15-eating-disorders/)
-   -   Speech about Male Anorexia (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f15-eating-disorders/t29828-speech-about-male-anorexia/)

Yen November 11th 2009 09:38 PM

Speech about Male Anorexia

So, this term I'm taking a public speaking class. I decided that for my next speech I'm going to talk to my class about the way the media affects male body image and let them know that male anorexia is a very real, very serious thing. It's something that, surprisingly, a lot of people aren't a ware of. In a pre-speech poll that was given to the class, only 5 said they were aware that anorexia affects men as well as women.
I went through anorexia so it's something very close to me. I just want other people to be aware that it happens to men too. I'm really excited to get this all out there for people to know and talk about :). I guess I just wanted to let all you guys know too and see what you think. Wish me luck!

Casey. November 11th 2009 09:55 PM

Re: Speech about Male Anorexia

Good luck Ian. I did a speech on eating disorders before, and if you do it right it can really effect your audience. Have fun!

xxpaigiexx November 12th 2009 01:34 AM

Hey Ian,
It's good you've decided to choose this as your subject to speak about not many people are aware of male anorexia so hopefully you'll educate and raise awareness, good luck!
xox

Madaleine November 13th 2009 02:25 PM

This is a great topic to advocate for! Last year we watched a video on EDs in health class, and the boy on it was like 13 years old and everyone laughed at him for being an emo wannabe. People need to realize that anorexia is not a female-only disease and that male anorexia is not a joke!

lostandalone November 13th 2009 02:55 PM

Like the other posters, I think its a great idea. There are many issues that for some reason or another gets the female only tag when it affects guys too. With that tag attached, the guy may not see it as the same problem and not get help.

DeletedAccount63 November 14th 2009 07:22 PM

Good luck, I hope it turns out great. If you don't mind maybe after you give the speech to your class you can post it on here so we can read it?
I also think its stupid that people think anorexia only happens to girls so it's great you are doing this!

łıттłe đяαgųи November 15th 2009 12:27 AM

Hey Ian. ;D

I just want to say, I think you've made an excellent choice in talking about anorexia affecting males. Most people don't realize it exists, and honestly, it's real. Extremely, extremely real. People forget that men are people as well, and can suffer from the same illness that women can suffer from.

I wish you luck in your speech. Let us know how things turn out, yeah?

-Jer.

Moyshi November 15th 2009 02:35 AM

Hey Ian,
It's really great that you want to inform others about the reality of eating disorders with males. The media always seems to show it as just being a female issue, but it isn't. It's nice that you're looking to raise awareness with your public speaking class, because they'll walk out of that room knowing alot more than they did when they got there. I've done a couple of projects on eating disorders and I've always made sure to include the male side of them. Good luck with the speech, and let us know how it goes! Take care. :]