TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

I'm so dang fat ! - January 29th 2009, 08:24 PM

It's not just the voice of regular teenage lack of self confidence either, or wanting attention. I really am overweight. The last time I went to the doctor I was told that I was overweight "as I had been my whole life," is how she put it. Major blow to my self esteem. But the bad part is that I've gained some extra pounds since then, and the number on the scale isn't pretty. But the point is that I can't control my eating. I'll say to myself "okay, I'm not going to eat this extra brownie" or something. And then in the next five minutes I'm munching away on it. I don't know what to do about this. I would go to a dietitian, but the fact is that my mom's really short on money right now, and I don't want to dump that on her. And it makes it a lot harder that we have to buy junk and eat fast food a lot. And I've talked to my mom about it but she has the same eating problem is me. I comfort eat and boredrom eat, and it's gotten to the point where I just sometimes can't control when I want to eat something.

What should I do? I would really appreciate some help...

Oh, by the way, I don't just want to lose weight to look better. I want to feel better. Have more energy, not feel so lousy. I really don't feel like that now =/

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#2 (permalink)) Old
mia705 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Ali

Re: I'm so dang fat ! - January 29th 2009, 09:44 PM

Hey Amanda,

You are really kind of in a tough situation but it is good to see that you are making an effort and want to become healthier. First of all, losing weight isn't only about what you are eating, it also has to do with exercise. If you rarely or never exercise then even the smallest effort is going to allow you to see results. So, I would recommend at least starting to get some exercise into your daily routine if you do not do so already. Depending on your fitness level, start low...maybe start with walking and then eventually work up to a slow jog, or a walking and jogging combination.

As for the food situation, it can be hard to eat healthily when you don't have much money, but if you are eating out a bunch during the week then I can almost guarantee that you would save money by making more homecooked meals. Talk to your mom, you don't have see a dietian, but talk to her about how you want to work on getting to a healthy weight, and maybe you and her can work on it together...it would be a good way for the two of you to bond and then you will have the support to try and work through this. Maybe calculate approximately how much money your mom and you spend on fast food and junk food a week and then see if maybe you can start switching out some of those fast food meals with healthier choices. And when you go to the store, don't buy those foods that you find to be so tempting and that are so bad for you. Instead, buy fruits and veggies so that when you do have those food cravings or are eating out of boredom your only choices are healthy ones.

And you said that you have to buy junk food and eat out a lot...but do you really? Buy something healthy instead of junk food...and plan ahead, maybe have a few healthy meals pre-made in the fridge for those days that you dont' have time to make dinner. There are options, you just have to be willing to make that extra effort.

I think the best way to go about this is to get your mom on board so that the two of you can work through this together...its going to take effort and hard work...but just remember the outcome! I hope this was at least a little helpful. And keep your chin up...good luck with everything!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
newbie552 Offline
choose wisely
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Robin

Re: I'm so dang fat ! - January 29th 2009, 09:52 PM

Remember, one of the biggest things to remember is portion sizes! Also, don't try to really limit your eating, when your body doesn't get food for along period of time it goes in something called "starvation mode" where whatever you eat next turns to fat in your body so when you stop limting your eating, you blow up to be bigger then what you started at

You're amazing just the way you are

(#4 (permalink)) Old
7thCavalry Offline
Banned
Not a n00b

Re: I'm so dang fat ! - January 29th 2009, 10:40 PM

-Try getting more evolved in stuff. Instead of staying home and doing something on the computer. Go out for a walk or something. Hell even just walk to enjoy some fresh air.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: I'm so dang fat ! - January 29th 2009, 11:17 PM

You can buy cheap healthy food! I found a lot of stuff on google.

What I do now (this is an idea my boss gave me from when she was dirt poor paying for uni) is buy frozen mixed veggies from the supermarket, and rice and soysauce in bulk. You can make ghetto stir fly and it's really good.. and really cheap. Buy fruits that are in season (or the cheapest ones) and go to Asian food markets, if you got those...they're usually cheaper at least where I live. You can eat healthy on not lot of money.. do your research.

Also, walking. Leave your car at home some days, and walk to where you're going. I hate, hate hate sports, and I do this to keep my weight. Also.. just physically separate yourself from the food. Do your work in not your kitchen, and don't let yourself eat anywhere but in the kitchen, and eat lots of small meals instead of a few big ones. AND, and and.. this helps me a lot.. when I'm getting something out of the fridge, I get some of the thing out, put the rest back, close the fridge, and then eat. That way, I don't just keep pulling the whatever out of the bag and eating more and more.

I hope this helped.. it was kinda of the top of my head.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: lisa

Re: I'm so dang fat ! - January 30th 2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete Girl View Post
It's not just the voice of regular teenage lack of self confidence either, or wanting attention. I really am overweight. The last time I went to the doctor I was told that I was overweight "as I had been my whole life," is how she put it. Major blow to my self esteem. But the bad part is that I've gained some extra pounds since then, and the number on the scale isn't pretty. But the point is that I can't control my eating. I'll say to myself "okay, I'm not going to eat this extra brownie" or something. And then in the next five minutes I'm munching away on it. I don't know what to do about this. I would go to a dietitian, but the fact is that my mom's really short on money right now, and I don't want to dump that on her. And it makes it a lot harder that we have to buy junk and eat fast food a lot. And I've talked to my mom about it but she has the same eating problem is me. I comfort eat and boredrom eat, and it's gotten to the point where I just sometimes can't control when I want to eat something.

What should I do? I would really appreciate some help...

Oh, by the way, I don't just want to lose weight to look better. I want to feel better. Have more energy, not feel so lousy. I really don't feel like that now =/
Heya Amanda. I really suggest that you get yourself a doctors appointment about this. I know you might feel a bit embarrassed or silly discussing this but i think it really could be quite beneficial for you if you got yourself referred to a professional dietitian. Trying to put yourself on a diet and actually sticking to that diet is very very difficult unless its been done professionally. I assure you that you will definitely find it much much much easier to follow a diet plan set down by someone with experience in this field. Doing it this way would also insure that you are doing it healthy meaning that you are still getting the essential food groups and a balanced diet. Making sure you eat a healthy and balanced diet will also help you lose weight.
I also suggest that perhaps you could look into joining a gym or maybe an aerobics class or something like that. I know that you might feel self concious doing this and if this is the case maybe you could get a close friend to come with you? Explain what you want to achieve and why you want to achieve this. Exercising will also help you to lose some weight as exercising increases metabolic activity. Exercise will also help you to feel better about yourslef as it release endorphins.
Could you perhaps also talk to your mum abot this, getting yourself (if not both of you) an appointment and maybe joining a gym? I know that you've mentioned that she has the same problem as you so maybe you could help each other to overcome this?
I hope that I've helped a little bit. Good luck and take care. Please feel free to pm me at any time. lisa xxx

pm me at any time :-)
she feels alone...
even when you're all here

...she feels lost

Closed Thread