TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LillyImp Offline
Average Joe

Name: Lilly

Question Is this a problem? - January 31st 2009, 11:56 AM

I've always been scary thin. It something I'm know for, even having the childhood nickname twiggy.

Now I feel like I have to say this way. I find myself regulating what I eat, scolding myself when I eat too much. We never have much food around but at school I'll only eat a bit of my lunch, a personal rule.

Is this a problem? I'm already dealing with sh, so I'm not sure if I'm just some attention seeking twit, But I lost significant weight last month, and I was underwieght before then. I know I'm thin, but I don't think I am. [That doesn't make sense.]

(#2 (permalink)) Old
dancinfool Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Is this a problem? - January 31st 2009, 12:09 PM

It sounds like you're getting on for an eating disorder, if you don't have one already.
If you don't eat enough you will have less energy and if it continues over a long period of time you can have serious problems. If you've always been skinny, chances are you can eat a healthy diet and STILL be skinny, just not dangerously underweight. Try to slowly increase your food intake, if you do this with healthy food and combine it with exercise (start with a small amount of exercise because if you're not eating much you won't have enough energy and your body won't cope) you'll put on muscle not fat. Then you get to keep your skinny-looking figure without risks to your health. You could also visit your doctor to check your current nutrition and work out an eating plan that will result in healthy weight gain.
Good Luck!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: Is this a problem? - January 31st 2009, 01:32 PM

I think dancinfool hit the nail on the head really!

To be honest, seeing as you've been naturally thin all of your life; the fact that you are now restricting what you eat is in fact a big problem as you will lose a lot of weight and become even thinner and slowly waste away...excuse the harshness of that. I just want you to realise how serious this is and the effect on your health; so yes in answer to your thread title: IT IS A PROBLEM!

Doesn't losing all of that weight, scare you?...not even in the slightest? I know if i lost a significant amount of weight(because i am naturally thin) i would freak out and go crazy until i gained it all back - do you realise how severely unattractive it is to look skeletal? Not to mention how it makes one feel. You'll feel the cold more, your hair will fall out, you will develop anemia and other nutrient defficiencies - etc! I'm sure you don't want to have to deal with all of these problems.

Please talk to someone before you start noticing the above problems, and work on why you are having issues with food. It is hard to tell from reading your post; but it could possibly be a form of coping with your emotions, perhaps like your SH?

Take care okay? <3

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Staceyanne Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Stacey

Re: Is this a problem? - February 2nd 2009, 07:25 AM

Well, the above comments said it all basically. If your naturally thin and always have been that's just your bod shape I supose. As dancinfool said, slowly increase your eating and you'll be ok, keep your weight at a steady weight. I have ED's anI just can't look in the mirror at my body, because I absolutely hate what I see. But just try to stay positive, and I'm here to talk if you need it. xxx
  Send a message via AIM to Staceyanne Send a message via MSN to Staceyanne  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
caity Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Is this a problem? - February 3rd 2009, 11:11 AM

I agree with what the others have said, however...I do believe that due to the attention that you have gained from your past about your weight you feel as if you must stay that way because you feel that it is what people expect of you. Unfortantly in our society we applaud those who are naturally thin and in return those naturally skinny people feel as if they must stay skinny at all cost. Be happy with who you are and cherish your body. Dont be pressured by anyone all that matters is what you believe.
~love caity~

Closed Thread