TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

my sisters starving herself - February 28th 2010, 11:40 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

my sister is starving herself she is hardly eating at all, my parents tell her to eat and she wont, yesterday she said she would eat before she went out to the party, she ate 1 quarter of a sandwhich and then came home drunk she wont eat and my mum is trying to convince her to eat but she just wont eat. she keeps saying i have eaten enough its fine but she hasnt, all she ate yesterday was a yogguart and hot cross bun and a chewy bar and 1 quarter of a sandwhich. my dad said to my sister today you need to eat your making yourself ill and she tells him im not its fine.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
floatingangel Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: my sisters starving herself - February 28th 2010, 02:56 PM

hey hun, how long has this been going on? and how old's your sister? if she's younger, you can hope that this is a passing phase/ that you can try to boost her selfesteem enough so that she would gain more confidence in herself as a person.
if this goes on and when your sis seems to have thoughts that revolve around food all the time, it's time to get some help..
don't stress yourself out. but do research on how you can help her. there're loads of materials available online now. (:
take care and keep us updated!

Ü
and the voice of truth tells me a different story
the voice of truth says "do not be afraid"

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Victoria ♥ Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Victoria

Re: my sisters starving herself - February 28th 2010, 06:13 PM

Hi,

I think its important for you to help your sister try to understand the cause for the change in behaviour. It's likely that something has sparked her to start behaving like this...it could be because of a big change in her life, self-esteem, wanting to have some control over something.

Once you have found out the cause for the problem you might be able to sort it out and stop it carrying on. tell your sister that her behaviour is worrying you and you think you should talk about it so that you can hopefully sort it out.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: my sisters starving herself - February 28th 2010, 07:14 PM

its been going on for a year now, at first she just started calorie counting and things and now its getting to the point where she is simpley not eating enough and is starveing herself, she also does this thing where she refusses to eat carbhydrates or eat a certain food group. but the thing is i dont know how to help my sister because i also have problems around food, some days i will eat loads and loads and other days i will not eat meals and just not eat very much at all, i no my parents are worrying about my sister and i am aswell, but i no that i also have a problem with food and i dont want them to start worying about me aswell.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: my sisters starving herself - February 28th 2010, 07:21 PM

Hey Lydia.

Im really sorry you're sisters eating is having an affect on you. The truth is, you can't, you're mum can't, no one can make her eat. You're sister's eating is in her control, she is the only one who can feed herself. My sister is recovering from anorexia. She's been in and out of hospitals, so i can understand how this is feeling for you.

Is she getting any help? If not, you could take her to the docotors, offer to go with her is she wants or let her go on her own, and see if she can recieve any help. Im sure she can. If she says she doesnt want to go, maybe you could go you're self, ask about what help she can get and also ask for you're self, to see what support you can recieve while helping you're sister beat this.

All i can suggest is try be there for her when she needs someone. Make sure she feels loved and appriciated. Have some fun with her, take her shopping or something, make sure theres reasons there for her to look after her self.

I hope things start to turn around.
PM me if you need a chat.

Jess

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: my sisters starving herself - February 28th 2010, 09:05 PM

my sister is not getting any help the only thing that seems to be happening is my dad yelling at her to eat and telling her to eat and telling her that if she dont eat she wont be going to see her boyfriend, my is convinsed that she is threwing her sandwhichs away at lunch at school. my sister does eat but does not eat alot today she ate some cake it wasnt much cake but it was cake! i dont really get on with my sister but i am worried about her she is soooooo thin sometimesi wish i was that thin i have lost weight i can fit into my jeans from miss selfridge and my jodpurs that never used to fit me now fit me. i do often offer her sweets and stuff and when the ice cream van comes buy her sweets only because i no she will eat them i no there is not alot in sweets but she eats them which is good i just hate seeing my sister like this and my dad threatening her with if you dont eat you casnt see your boyfriend aint helping coz then she gets stressed and stuff and they end up arguing. i dont like them arguing but at the same time i cant help but think at least he not shouting at me i no i shouldnt think that but i do. in the summer i am hoping the ice cream van comes everyday so i can buy her sweets everyday. today my dad was telling her your making yourself ill and my sister did not seem to care!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
floatingangel Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: my sisters starving herself - March 2nd 2010, 03:41 PM

hey hun, i'd say, take care of yourself first! when you show that you can live a happy life without caring about food and still be confident and beautiful, your sis is gonna take the hint. i know that's so super duper hard that you'd back out one week into trying it, but don't back out. do all you can, find out how you can stop thinking about food. you're worth way beyond your looks. don't buy into the whole "you gotta be skinny to fit in/ be beautiful" thing. you are beautiful the way you are. you gotta take control of your mind.
i know this sounds harsh and difficult, and hey, you might not even want to do it. but think about it, if someone you knew had eating problems and emerged a stronger better person free from her previous bondage from food, would you be encouraged to right your life? it's the same thing. your sister has to believe that she could be happy without having to starve herself...

Ü
and the voice of truth tells me a different story
the voice of truth says "do not be afraid"

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: my sisters starving herself - March 5th 2010, 08:48 PM

my sister ate a whole plate of food and did not leave any last night she had two slices of pizza and some lettuce.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: my sisters starving herself - March 6th 2010, 03:14 AM

Well that's a good start. Maybe you take your sister aside and have an honest conversation with her. Tell her that your worried and that you do care about her. Just be careful that it dosen't sound too much like a lecture.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

Closed Thread