TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hope. Offline
a LOVER and a FIGHTER
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Camille

Points: 9,324, Level: 14 Points: 9,324, Level: 14 Points: 9,324, Level: 14

Question eating disorder? - March 6th 2010, 01:09 AM

ok so basically i have had issues with self harm for a while. my friend made me see a counselor for the first time (she was in the room) and we had talked for an hour until i had to go back to class. when my friend saw my friend later and we went to lunch she told me that he (the counselor) said that i have an eating disorder waiting to happen. he said this because i had told him when i get depressed i dont eat. (i have gone days without eating) i also work out everyday (becasue i play very highly competative volleyball) and that what i need in my life is more control (and i can control how much i eat). am i developing an eating disorder??

Stay Strong Even If I'm Not

Last edited by Hope.; March 6th 2010 at 01:29 AM.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Points: 20,432, Level: 20 Points: 20,432, Level: 20 Points: 20,432, Level: 20

Re: eating disorder? - March 6th 2010, 01:31 AM

Hey Camille,

It definitely does sound like you're at risk for developing an eating disorder. The points that your counselor made are all good ones, and they are factors that often can lead to an eating disorder.

The good news is that you know all of this ahead of time. So it's in YOUR control whether or not you do develop an eating disorder. You can use this knowledge as power to prevent an ED from developing. Talk with your counselor, work with him on coping strategies, talk with him about what's going on in your life, figure out ways to cope without starving yourself.

It is NOT worth it to develop an ED--it's not something you can "have" for a few months and then move on from it. Trust me, you don't want to lose years, even decades, to a disease that doesn't have to happen.

Stay strong Camille, take good care of yourself.
<3

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hope. Offline
a LOVER and a FIGHTER
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: eating disorder? - March 6th 2010, 04:58 PM

How little is too little?...like i have always eatn healthy and such...i know its dumb but now im scared if i eat small portions that im going to become anorexic or something...i dont want anything else to be wrong with me

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Points: 20,432, Level: 20 Points: 20,432, Level: 20 Points: 20,432, Level: 20

Re: eating disorder? - March 6th 2010, 05:28 PM

Are you able to see a doctor? If so, that's your best bet, because a doctor can tell you exactly how much to be eating. Otherwise, let your parents, or the counselor, help you. Ask them how much you should be eating, and they'll have a rough estimate for you. Also, observe what THEY eat, and see what "normal-sized" meals are like. There's nothing wrong with taking small portions, but they need to be caloric enough so that your body is getting enough food to prevent you from losing weight.

Just another note--if you are eating small portions, it doesn't mean you're anorexic. Anorexia has a whole other component to it, which is distorted body image, thinking you're fat, feeling very negatively about the way you look, and starving yourself in order to lose weight. It doesn't sound to me like that's where you are at right now. So in that respect, don't worry. The only thing to keep watch of, is that it doesn't turn into that. Sometimes the line between self-love and self-hate can be crossed quickly, especially when things are tough. That might have been what your counselor was getting at.

I'd talk with your counselor about this and he can help you out.
<3

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Hope. Offline
a LOVER and a FIGHTER
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: eating disorder? - March 6th 2010, 05:36 PM

my parents dont know any of this is going on (sh, counselor at school, or the possible ED)
so i cant really go see a dr or anything

i have to say i dont like myself very much (which is a major reason for the sh) so in that part im screwed...like a few weeks ago i was talking to a friend about going on a diet

im slightly underweight for my height...but im building muscle and gaining some weight right now...so idk

Closed Thread