TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

How to stop binging tips - March 20th 2010, 10:46 PM

I'll keep this nice and non triggering, so anybody can read the replies.

How do you stop binging, and what do you do instead of it?

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

(#2 (permalink)) Old
thisiscourtney Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: How to stop binging tips - March 21st 2010, 12:20 AM

I think of how I'm going to feel afterwards. I'm going to feel sick, guilty, and as if I've just wasted a day of my life.

I do things that produce emotions opposite to those. I'll experiment with make-up/hair/clothing, I'll help a friend with a problem, or I'll just go hang out somewhere.

I reward myself. Hey, I just fought off a binge. I deserve a new dress.

I talk to someone about the feelings that were triggering me. Instead of allowing food to help me (it doesn't), I seek help in a close friend or family member.

Waitin' for my ruca.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: How to stop binging tips - March 21st 2010, 12:44 AM

Hey. I have never binged, or felt the need to, so i might not be any use. But maybe if you feel you are going to binge, to stop yourself you should go out somewhere...maybe for a walk, or to town if its convenient.
You could try counting to 100, or do a crossword puzzle. Do something to take your mind off wanting food.
Think to yourself how you will feel afterwards, and if you really want food, grab a banana or apple and go sit somewhere like in your bedroom. Avoid being in the kitchen for long, and before you go get the food, know exactly where it is so you wont be searching in cupboards etc.
When you don't binge, reward yourself (not with food)...but remember, if you do binge, don't let it destroy you!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: How to stop binging tips - March 21st 2010, 01:20 PM

I binge a lot when I'm stressed and what I do to try and calm down without binge eating is to take a walk without any money on me so I'm not tempted to buy any food. I generally try to go for walks in the woods and focus on the nature which takes my mind off food.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: How to stop binging tips - March 21st 2010, 05:56 PM

Hey there,

There are a number of things that I do to stop myself from binging. The first one is having a balanced diet. I try to eat 6 meals a day. Basically three snacks and breakfast,lunch, and dinner.

Eating a good amount of food in a day keeps my hunger levels down which keeps me from obsessing about food and what is good and then subsequently binging. So this might help you.

The thing that helps me the most is really tapping into my emotions. Binging is mainly about all the emotions running around inside of us. We want relief from them and given the fact that food can bring a 'fake' sense of comfort we turn to it. However I have found that if you really tap into your emotions the urge to binge can lessen in intensity and possibly die down completely.

What I mean by 'tap into your emotions' is that when you feel a need to binge think about. Think things like "What is making me feel the need to binge?" "Am I hungry or is there just some eternal thing going on." When you are able to identify the thing making you want to binge sit down and write about it, call up a friend, or come on here and blog or post in a thread or use livehelp or helplink.

If you can identify what is making you want to binge and then you write about it the need really can die down because you are actually dealing with those emotions instead of ignoring them with food.

Lastly, something I suggest is finding a support network. Get friends and family involved in this. Let them know what is going on so that you can get their support when you feel a binge coming on. From experience it helps so much to have someone to turn to when you feel like things are falling apart or whatever. When you know that their are people there rooting you on it feels so good. And, it never hurts to have someone in real life to talk to about all of this.

If you need anything do not hesitate to pm me.

Take care,

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
ForeverAutumn* Offline
together, we are infinite.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: How to stop binging tips - March 22nd 2010, 10:25 AM

When I'm in a binging mood, usually I force myself to take a step back and think about the why behind the want.. most of the time it's anger, hurt, sadness, frustration, etc.

The hard part is keeping myself from going downstairs to binge.. I make myself tell whoever I'm speaking with at the time, or if I'm not talking to anyone, I'll IM a close friend and tell them what I want to do, because most of them can talk me out of the mood. If I stay at the computer and talk to someone, that usually keeps me somewhat distracted until the urge passes.. other times I work on music (keeps my hands busy and my mind focused on something else).

Hope this helps some.

how could anyone ever tell you, you are anything less than beautiful?| PM Me
self-harm free since 06.10.11.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
MaroonLove Offline
Average Joe

Name: Kate

Re: How to stop binging tips - March 24th 2010, 11:29 PM

Do something constructive instead. Try writing on going on a long walk. Binging is a hard habit to break so try a new hobby, like collecting something or knitting. Typically you WONT feel good after a binge. Just focus on things that WILL make you feel good.

Proud member of the LGBT community.
<3 Taken 02/13/'12
PM Me
We come to find love not by finding
a perfect person but by learning to
see an imperfect person, perfectly.
When something important is going on, silence is a lie
  Send a message via AIM to MaroonLove  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Re: How to stop binging tips - March 25th 2010, 11:48 AM

These are all great. Keep em coming.

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

(#9 (permalink)) Old
WillO'Wisp Offline
I've been here a while

Re: How to stop binging tips - March 25th 2010, 09:26 PM

Occupy your mind with something else, go out for a walk, hang out with friends, talk to supportive sources who can take your mind off it. Anything to keep your mind occupied from it.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: How to stop binging tips - March 25th 2010, 10:06 PM

When i feel as though i'm about to binge, i stop and think of all of the problems it has created for me in the past. I won't go into detail, but they aren't very nice. I also write, i write anything and everything and just let that be the release of my pent-up emotions. I scream, i cry, i sing, i cheer myself up, i do school work. I just get it all out of my system in the most focused of ways, i put my all into it. That way i'll have no energy left to binge. Get all of that negativeness out, do something useful and you'll feel better.

Be strong <3

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Mikey Offline
Average Joe

Re: How to stop binging tips - March 26th 2010, 12:43 AM

This topic is slightly.. uncomfortable for myself, because we are suffering from opposite problems.
Here are some of my tips; but I am NOT encouraging you to starve yourself or anything along that line.
- Chew (sugar free/low-cal) gum. It tricks your body into thinking your eating from your chewing.
- Peppermints - Hunger Suppresant.
- Drink LOTS of ice cold water. May I repeat lots, lots, lots.
- Suck/chew on ice cubes. Water = 0 cals.
- Eat Almonds, their healthy, fills you up, and boosts your metabolism.
- Go for a run, take a ice cold bath (also boosts your metabolism), do something you enjoy; write a story or paint a picture.
[Edited by Jen]
- Remind yourself how you'll feel after you binge. (Frustrated, upset, ect.)
-CREATE GOALS; For example, if you go three days with eating healthy and not binging treat yourself with a slice of pizza or scoop of ice cream, but have a friend/family memeber around so you don't feel the temptation to binge.
- Just remember, you are beautiful, be healthy and love yourself for who you are.
Pm me Anytime. (:
(if this post is triggering or.. improper please let me know. I will be more than happy to take it down)

You will come to realize that what appears today to be a sacrafice will prove instead to be the greatest investment you ever made.

Last edited by Jen; March 26th 2010 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Removing unhealthy/triggering tips.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: How to stop binging tips - March 26th 2010, 01:27 AM

Hey all,

These are great tips that you're suggesting! Hopefully they're helpful for some of you

I just want to throw in a reminder: there is a difference between avoiding a binge and avoiding food. Binging is eating an extremely large, unhealthy amount of food in one sitting. When we say that we are trying to prevent a binge, we aren't saying to not eat at all in that sitting. We're saying, how can you normalize your eating and eat a healthy amount, instead of getting out of control and eating that unhealthy amount. Or, how can you differentiate between figuring out if you are truly hungry, or if you are turning to food as coping mechanism.

It is important for EVERYONE, whether they are overweight, underweight, or average weight, to eat regular, healthily-sized meals. Not binging is just as important as not restricting!

Be well--you are all beautiful and deserve to take care of yourselves.
<3

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
AmethystDrew Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Drew

Re: How to stop binging tips - March 26th 2010, 06:37 AM

Generally, I've been (mostly successfully) avoiding the need to binge by avoiding getting too full. I've been eating much smaller portions, because I've found that I can keep food down if it's not too much. =]
  Send a message via MSN to AmethystDrew  
Closed Thread