TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Mixtape91 Offline
Falling Up
Average Joe

Name: Hannah

A varied opinion - March 26th 2010, 01:45 AM

I was talking to my sister yesterday and we cant seem to agree on something. I've been trying to become more healthy lately by losing weight and i have this idea that exercising and burning off all the calories you intake would work. My sister believes that this constitutes as an eating disorder and by her standards, is "unhealthy". I, however, think otherwise. I was wondering what other peoples opinions are on this..

“Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.”

- Edgar Allen Poe

The only truth is change, have patience
  Send a message via AIM to Mixtape91  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
AmethystDrew Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Drew

Re: A varied opinion - March 26th 2010, 06:18 AM

It's unhealthy. Generally, you should only go for a deficit of about [edited]kCal/day if you're trying to lose weight - there are a bunch of sites out there that will help you estimate your basal metabolic rate (how many calories your body will burn in a day if you just sat in bed and did nothing). So if you're exercising more than normal to offset caloric intake from food, your net caloric intake will be a lot less than [Edited]! Most people (or, at least, adults) have a BMR of about [Edited]kCal/day, as a (very, very) general guideline.

So if that's too much math/too detailed for you, the basic answer is that it is definitely unhealthy. You shouldn't specifically restrict your food intake and try to offset the same number of calories. Eating a bit less/healthier and exercising more is the best route to go for healthy weight loss.

(And not to sound too preachy, but I did what you're describing for a few weeks. It's why I'm here on this forum, and why my life is hell right now. Learn from my mistake. Faster weight loss isn't worth the results.)

Last edited by Casey.; March 26th 2010 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Please do not post calorie numbers, it's against the TOS
  Send a message via MSN to AmethystDrew  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: A varied opinion - March 29th 2010, 04:12 AM

Hey Hannah,

I think it honestly depends. Burning off all that you consume is not healthy, although regular exercise is good for you. But over exercising is not, and can be dangerous. You can't safely burn off all that you intake; your body needs calories to survive, it converts them into enegry, so you have to keep some in your body. I think if you exercise thirty minutes to an hour a day, and you eat healthy, then you are fine. But restricting and overexercising is dangerous, and it's a very thin line from healthy to unhealthy.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: A varied opinion - March 29th 2010, 04:49 AM

Becoming healthy is not always about weight. Simply changing what you put in your body can make a huge difference on how healthy you are and on whether or not you lose weight. Eating well and exercising are both means of being healthy and may help you lose weight.

Burning off everything you eat does not always mean weight loss either, there is a lot more behind it. It can depend on genetics, your muscle mass, etc.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: A varied opinion - March 29th 2010, 05:57 AM

Well, burning off everything you eat isn't healthy, but just because you are thinking in this way, I wouldn't say you had an eating disorder. However, if you don't be careful, it may develop into one. At the moment, it does just sound like you want to be very very healthy but going about it the wrong way. And that is fine, it is very tricky to try and figure out what is right and what is not so healthy. I don't recommend however burning off everything! If you eat really healthily, and allow yourself treats now and again, you won't crave anything, you will have a healthy body, be able to exercise, and have the freedom to go out and have a treat with your friends without feeling like you need to punish yourself afterwards!
So to sum up, I wouldn't say you have an eating disorder, but it may develop into one if you start overly-obsessing

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: A varied opinion - March 30th 2010, 05:16 AM

It is unhealthy. You should not attempt to burn off a certain number of calories because that can lead to an obsession with food. Instead make goals for yourself. Make goals like being able to run two miles and things like that. Don't make food your main objective.
Aim to be healthly and fit
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: A varied opinion - March 30th 2010, 05:42 AM

That is known as another way to purge. Purging is basically when you rid yourself of the calories you have consumed.

The best way to get healthy is by talking to a doctor and seeing what you need to do. Eating more fruits and veggies (3-4 Fruits and Veggies daily) and eating a decent amount of all the other food groups. Starches, fats, protein and dairy. If you have a combination of all these foods you will notice that you will start to feel better.

As for exercise 30 minutes a day is good. Over exercising is never good and in the end it will not accomplish anything.

Hope this helped and if you need anything feel free to pm me.

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread