TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Razek Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Blake

Question Need Advice - April 4th 2010, 08:00 AM

This is the first time i've ever used this part of the forum. I've had SH problems in the past and i felt this site always helped me; i've been SH free for almost a year. So i was wondering if someone here could help me with a question.

See ive been away at college for awhile and i have recently gone back to my dads for the easter weekend. My family has been mentioning that i look like im "wasting away" and that i don't eat much. Though they never accused me of being anorexic i'm beginning to think that they think it. I admit i could stand to gain a couple pounds, but weight gain has never really been easy for me. I can kinda see what they see, my ribs are slightly visible and such; but my ribs always protruded more then normal anyway (like a slight physical deformity). I'm going to point out as well that i dont usually eat well around my family, the main reason being... i don't smoke weed when i'm at either of my parents houses, for obvious reasons. and i know thats a different problem, but thats kinda how i deal with stress right now. regardless i don't try to lose weight. yes maybe I'm a little uncomfortable with my body image, but that due to my scars from SH for the most part. I don't count calories but i always check nutrition labels cause i like to know what I'm eating, usually while I'm eating it though. lastly I'm not afraid to gain weight. I'll admit that i would be terrified if i were "fat" but i consider "fat" to be like clinically obese.

tl;dr

Anyways out of curiosity i checked my bmi online and it was [edit by Katrina: please don't post specific BMI numbers - they're against our ToS. Thanks.], im not even sure i know what that means. And my question to you is should i be worried? do i sound like im in some ridiculous denial? if anyone has any stories or advice that they think could help me out i would be greatly appreciative.

PS: sorry for horrible grammer, english was never my strong point

Last edited by Jen; April 4th 2010 at 04:40 PM. Reason: See note in post/Removing trigger prefix

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: Need Advice - April 4th 2010, 02:36 PM

Hey Blake.

Glad you were able to find some good support and advice here for self injury. That's always difficult to cope with, and I definitely feel like these things are sometimes slightly easier to cope with if we know that we're not alone.

Clearly, I'm not a medical professional, so I can't diagnose you or not diagnose you. Have you thought about looking into some of the medical help that your school provides, though? I know that my college actually has a dietitian on staff (who also does some other things for the school) who definitely helps several students with their eating habits. There's also all kinds of sports medicine and exercise faculty who help out with that kind of thing. So, that's just something to think about.

As far as being in denial, I think that's something you're going to have to come to terms with and tell us yourself. (: Just the fact that you're not afraid to gain a little weight in order to be healthy is a very good thing, though. I hope that you'll always make being healthy your first priority. (: You just need to make sure you're getting a proper amount of nutrients in your body each day. I removed your BMI numbers, but I can tell you that your number is considered underweight on the BMI scale. With that in mind, though, I don't think you should be basing everything off a BMI scale. There are other, more accurate ways to measure this, but the best way would probably just be going to a professional and making sure you're eating healthfully.

Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
Closed Thread