TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Shattered_Girl Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Barbara

Question Some Questions About Body Dysmorphic Disorder - April 19th 2010, 12:48 AM

Is it possible to see yourself as much bigger and uglier than you really are? And is it possible to see the same thing in photos too? How do you know if someone has it?

The unloved one...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: Some Questions About Body Dysmorphic Disorder - April 19th 2010, 12:56 AM

Yes it's possible, that's actually pretty much the definition of Body Dysmorphic Disorder. I'm pretty sure the only way you can be diagnosed with it is by a psychologist.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Em... Offline
smile; it looks good on you.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: E

Re: Some Questions About Body Dysmorphic Disorder - April 19th 2010, 01:46 AM

I've been diagnosed with BDD. Basically it can include seeing yourself bigger than you really are, but it is also like an obsession with the way you look and it's the illusion that your flaws are more apparent than others actually see.
For example with myself, if I have like a pimple or something. It's something really big to me and I feel as though so many people are just looking at that pimple and it's something that would define me, and it controls all of my thoughts, where as in reality it's not big deal and people hardly care about that. I also have the problem with how I look in different clothes, or I feel as though my tummy is big and my thighs are huge and there are just so apparent to other people, but really it isn't like that.
It is possible to see it in other people. I guess you could see if something has something of the such if they are showing any of the qualities I described above. However in order to have a clear diagnosis, you need to talk to your doctor.
I hope this helped.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Em... Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Some Questions About Body Dysmorphic Disorder - April 19th 2010, 01:54 AM

I'm so sorry for this second post but I found this that might be a bit more useful than my fist post:
BDD, or Body Dysmorphic Disorder is a preoccupation or obsession with a defect in visual appearance, whether that be an actual slight imperfection or an imagined one. Some example of this would be obsessing to the point of severe depression (sometimes including thoughts about or attempts at suicide) over physical attributes such as freckles; a large nose, blotchy skin, wrinkles, acne, scarring. Though the preoccupation can include any part of the body, areas of the face and head, specifically the skin, hair and nose, are most common.

People suffering with BDD may often have a low self-esteem and unreasonable fears of rejection from others due to their perceived ugliness. Some sufferers realize that their perception of the "defect" is distorted, but find the impulse to think about it uncontrollable.

There are two types of Body Dysmorphic Disorder -- the non-delusional type -- and the delusional type (where the person actually has hallucinations of a completely imagined defect, or an imagined gross exaggeration of a small defect). The delusional form is less common and more severe.

Men and women living with BDD may practice unusually compulsive rituals to look at, hide, cover and/or improve their defect(s). They may spend a great deal of time looking at themselves in anything mirror-like and trying to convince others of how ugly they are. They may be compulsive in searching out doctors to treat them with medications and/or plastic surgery. Patients may go to any lengths to improve their appearance, including using methods that are dangerous. Some may even attempt their own surgery, or commit suicide.

Mental Illnesses that sometimes co-exist with BDD are depression, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and Social Phobia.

Treatment is often difficult, but there has been shown progress with medications such as Prozac, and cognitive-behavior therapy. Diagnosis can often be difficult because of the patients shame (causing them to keep their symptoms a secret).

(#5 (permalink)) Old
jaz. Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Some Questions About Body Dysmorphic Disorder - April 19th 2010, 09:07 PM

I think I might have this..
I look at myself and feel huge, sometimes even cry because I hate what I see so much. I feel the need to try and get rid of every little spot or blackhead. I constantly worry about my stomach and weight and think that people look at me and just see that i'm fat. No matter how many times someone says i'm pretty or slim or look good I just feel ugly and fat.
I don't know whats wrong with me :\

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Shattered_Girl Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Barbara

Re: Some Questions About Body Dysmorphic Disorder - April 20th 2010, 12:17 AM

Is it possible to see this distortion in photos too?

The unloved one...

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: Some Questions About Body Dysmorphic Disorder - April 20th 2010, 01:02 AM

Yes. If you have it, you'll see it everywhere you see yourself.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Some Questions About Body Dysmorphic Disorder - April 20th 2010, 02:12 AM

Does anyone know what the diagnostic criteria are for BDD? Seems to me that a lot of people, myself included, have issues with body image and stress out over the little details of appearance...which reminds me of those two huge zits on my hairline, damn it.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Some Questions About Body Dysmorphic Disorder - April 20th 2010, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost On The Highway View Post
Does anyone know what the diagnostic criteria are for BDD? Seems to me that a lot of people, myself included, have issues with body image and stress out over the little details of appearance...which reminds me of those two huge zits on my hairline, damn it.
This link might help. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bod...sorder/ds00559

Basically, I think the jist of it is that a person is so consumed with the perceived defect that it gets in the way of their life. They think about it for hours on end.

I use this as an example even though they are different issues: Pretty much everyone has issues with their body weight. Pretty much everyone goes on diets and thinks about it a couple of times a week. However, not all these people have eating disorders. People with eating disorder obsess about it for hours out of everyday and they will go to all types of lengths to make that part of them get better.

With BDD it is kind of the same thing. These people can get so bad that they will not go out into public or they will get an excessive amount of plastic surgery etc. A person with BDD has trouble with maintaining their life.

Although, the only one who could really diagnose it would be a doctor.

Best of luck!

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Lotus Eater Offline
You are not alone.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Some Questions About Body Dysmorphic Disorder - April 20th 2010, 01:10 PM

Wow. Now that this has been brought up.. it sounds a lot like what I've been doing recently.

I've always been preoccupied with the way I look, namely my flab (and the size of my thighs). It's gotten bad enough lately that I am convinced that everyone around me (my family included) is secretly going on about how much weight I have put on although they convince me otherwise all the time. As far as I am concerned, they are lying to me.

When I go out and I'm wearing my jeans, I hide out behind my mother or brother so people won't look at my thighs. I pretty much avoided my aunties this weekend because they have been known to make comments on body image and weight etc. and I am now paranoid to be even in the same room as them. I keep my hair out so people won't notice how fat my cheeks are. I obsess about my physical appearance all the time.. and not over the flaws that can be fixed. I try to merge into the background in lessons at school and am unable to leave my seat throughout the lesson for fear that people will look at me and- Okay, I'll stop.

I am not going to let this diagnose me though. For all I know, this mightn't be a big deal at all. Everyone gets paranoid, right?

Haha, I don't need anything else to be wrong with me.

You have me.
Until every last star in the galaxy dies.
You have me.

- Amie Kaufman

NEED TO VENT? CLICK HERE.
Never forget, you are not alone. ♥

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Em... Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Some Questions About Body Dysmorphic Disorder - April 20th 2010, 10:17 PM

A good example of BDD is from an episode of True Life: I hate my face.
Here's a link:
http://www.mtv.com/videos/true-life-...playlist.jhtml
It's the full episode. One of the women have been diagnosed with BDD. It will probably give you a better idea of what exactly it is, and how it affects people.
I hope it helped

(#12 (permalink)) Old
jellbell Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jell-poo

Re: Some Questions About Body Dysmorphic Disorder - April 23rd 2010, 03:48 AM

its very possible and i know bc its mee

fierce&lovee

Closed Thread