TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Shattered_Girl Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Barbara

Question I HATE My Body - April 27th 2010, 01:45 AM

Some of my friends think I'm too obsessive about my weight. I want to know if something really is wrong with me. To start off, I hate my stomach. I refuse to wear t-shirts because they show off how huge it is. Whenever I am by a mirror I lift my shirt up and look at my belly. I sometimes take pictures of it, and I subconsciously put my hand over it to hide it. When I eat food, I sometimes spit it out and give it to my dog. I worry about my weight constantly and can't stop thinking about my flaws. Recently, I took a picture with my older brother. My brother was worried that he looked short next to me and insisted that I've gotten taller. All I could see, however, was how huge I looked. I looked like I had gained a lot of weight. I asked a friend if she thought I looked bigger, and she said I actually look like I lost weight. My other friends insist I am not fat. What's going on here?

The unloved one...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
emoticon Offline
confused.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Michelle

Re: I HATE My Body - April 27th 2010, 02:41 AM

I believe you hav an unhealthy obsession with your body. The reason being all you see is how huge you are, you take pics, and you hide it. What scares me the most is that you don't listen to people telling you arnt huge and you take pics. Do you know why your like this?

" One day at a time, this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering. "

i wonder when i'll finally jsut start accepting myself, when i'll stop saying i wish i could be like that person.

i have facebook, and myspace. and you can ask for it. :P
  Send a message via Yahoo to emoticon  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: I HATE My Body - April 27th 2010, 03:46 AM

Hey Barbara,

So I'm not a doctor or a professional, but seeing yourself as fat and being obsessed with your weight is not healthy. It sounds like you might have a body image problem. Basically, all you see is fat, even if it's not really there, you see it because that's what you expect to see.And that's not good, it can lead to many dangerous problems, including to the development of an eating disorder, because eventually you get to the point where you will do anything to make the girl you see in the mirror skinny, even if she's already skinny, because you can't see it.

Have you talked to your doctor about your weight? If you are worried about your weight, talk to your doctor. They can tell you what is healthy for you, and whether you need to worry about your weight or not. Hang in there.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Shattered_Girl Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I HATE My Body - April 27th 2010, 12:59 PM

Well, I already have an eating disorder. I'm bulimic, but I haven't thrown up in awhile. Also, if I had the money, I would get a nose job, lipo, and have my teeth straightened. People get mad at me when I say these things, but what's wrong with it if it would make me confident?

The unloved one...

Last edited by Shattered_Girl; April 28th 2010 at 02:39 AM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Shattered_Girl Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I HATE My Body - April 29th 2010, 01:05 AM

Is it possible that I have body dysmorphic disorder?

The unloved one...

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Angel Offline
The final horcrux
I've been here a while

Re: I HATE My Body - April 29th 2010, 01:35 AM

Most everyone suffering from an eating disorder finds flaws with themselves that may or may not exist. They can be over-exaggerated to the point where it is unreasonable, such as in your case. Your friend is someone you trust, so she is likely to be truthful when she tells you that you look smaller than you were before. If she is someone you can be honest with, perhaps you could talk to her about your struggles with your own appearance. Having a good friend you can talk to can be much needed.

Are you seeing someone for your bulimia? If you're concerned that you may have body dysmorphic disorder, it is definitely something you should bring up with your doctor. Only then can you get an accurate opinion and receive proper help.

Take care, lovely. x

"Years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Shattered_Girl Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I HATE My Body - April 29th 2010, 01:59 AM

I was talking to someone awhile back, but then we just stopped. I feel lost. I just wanna be able to see reality.

The unloved one...

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Mikey Offline
Average Joe

Re: I HATE My Body - April 29th 2010, 03:04 AM

Barbara, I looked at the photo on your profile (hahh, I'm a creep) and you are no where near "huge" or "ugly." I think you look gorgeous and I love the outfit you're wearing. It is possible that you are suffering from Body Dysmorphic Disorder, which is extremely unhealthy for you psychologically and emotionally. Have you tried talking to a family member or trusted adult about how you have been feeling lately? Like all disorders, their are, sadly, plenty of people who go through the same thing. So, don't think you're alone going through this issue. Also, you could try writing out a list of everything you hate about yourself on a sheet of paper, which may blow off some steam, and for every flaw you wrote you have to write something you love about yourself. Think about the positives too. For example; how your hair looks cute in loose curls, white teeth, ect.
Let me know how it goes! Pm me anytime too.
-Mikey.

You will come to realize that what appears today to be a sacrafice will prove instead to be the greatest investment you ever made.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Shattered_Girl Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I HATE My Body - April 29th 2010, 05:59 PM

I really wish I could take the compliment...but that picture is of me is one of only a few photos of me that are decent...it looks good because you can't see my huge nose and doublechin, and due to the lighting my skin looks normal for a change. Trust me--I am not a pretty girl at all.

The unloved one...

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Shattered_Girl Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I HATE My Body - May 2nd 2010, 02:13 AM

But I really do wish that what you said was true

The unloved one...

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Clouds. Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Clouds

Re: I HATE My Body - May 2nd 2010, 02:22 AM

Hey,

It is common, expecially for girls, to over-analyse what they look like and to find flaws about themslves such as: a big nose etc, but it seems as though you are going to the extreme with the self-criticism.

One of my friends has lost a LOT of weight lately and is beginning to look way too thin and unattractive because of it, however she sees herself as being fat and not having lost weight. Perhaps, you have some kind of body dysmorphia, because I tell my friend that she is losing too much weight and she doesn't believe me and so your friends is most likely also telling the truth about you- but you just don't see it/ believe her.

If you are already suffering from bulimia it is very likely that you probably are seeing yourself as bigger/ uglier than you are in reality too. Do you think that you could find someone you can trust to talk about these problems or a doctor who may be able to help you?

Do you think that there is some underlying problem which if solved, could perhaps solve your image problems too such as: you feel lonely?

I know it must feel frustrating not being able to see how beautiful you really are, but hang in there, maybe soon you'll be able to see who you really are with a bit of support or help from others.

x<3x

~Happy to help *

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Shattered_Girl Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I HATE My Body - May 2nd 2010, 07:53 PM

Well I've always had issues with my body, but something happened a few years ago and ever since it has gotten worse...it's kind of a long story, though.

The unloved one...

(#13 (permalink)) Old
emoticon Offline
confused.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Michelle

Re: I HATE My Body - May 3rd 2010, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shattered_Girl View Post
Well I've always had issues with my body, but something happened a few years ago and ever since it has gotten worse...it's kind of a long story, though.
i can talk to you about in a pm if you want.

" One day at a time, this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering. "

i wonder when i'll finally jsut start accepting myself, when i'll stop saying i wish i could be like that person.

i have facebook, and myspace. and you can ask for it. :P
  Send a message via Yahoo to emoticon  
Closed Thread