TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
thisiscourtney Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Has anyone gone to college with an ED? - May 2nd 2010, 06:43 AM

Each time I search this topic on the internet, it leads to sites saying that EDs are likely to develop in college due to high levels of stress. I'm wondering what that might mean for someone going into college with an ED. Would it make it worse? But at the same time I feel like I would be too busy to binge and exercise/fast. Then again, the urge may become so overwhelming that I'll end up abandoning my studies.

For you, personally, what changed?

Waitin' for my ruca.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: Has anyone gone to college with an ED? - May 2nd 2010, 04:52 PM

Hi Courtney,

I went to college with my ED, and it got severely worse. I'm now a senior in college, and ED-free, but it took a lot of hard work, and some intervention on my parents/doctors part to get me to this point.

Lots of things change when you go to college--and a lot of those changes are good, exciting ones! But even so, those old coping mechanisms (the ED ones) are always there. The stress, worry, fear, even anxiety, can lead you to keep using behaviors. Plus, if nobody is around to monitor what you're doing, that can cause you to get out of control behavior-wise as well.

Also, remember that we all had/have EDs for a reason. Unless that reason is taken care of (i.e. worked on in therapy/with a counselor), the ED isn't going to disappear on its own.

So, my point is--make sure you have a solid support system when you go to school. I didn't, and that was a HUGE mistake on my part. Get in touch with the Health Center, as well as any counseling services that are offered, and make sure you have a treatment team at school before you get there. You want to be armed with as much support as possible--and if it turns out you do okay, great! But it's always better to be safe than sorry!!

<3

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Has anyone gone to college with an ED? - May 3rd 2010, 02:39 AM

I don't have a diagnosed ED, though my eating habits are, well, I either barely eat or don't eat. And in college, well, I'd be more into Energy Drinks and Vitamin Juices than food. In fact, the guy who was like my best friend in college, he got concerned when he never saw me eat, and he literally TOLD ME to eat lunch.

He kept nagging it at me til I finally got a bowl of soup. It had got to the point where I stopped eating, period. And he kept pestering me, to the point I started being able to eat soup without feeling sick, then I went up to one meal a day. Thats pretty much where I am now.

If not for him, I would've probably hurt myself really bad. I was in technical college for welding. If I were to get really sick, or even pass out while welding, I could've been seriously injured. I almost blacked out in the library one day when I wasn't eating or sleeping, so I know it could've got dangerous, but I didn't care, until it became apparent someone else did.

So my advice? Try to get help, as Jen said. Do whatever you can to try and get help.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Has anyone gone to college with an ED? - May 3rd 2010, 04:16 AM

I've had an ED for quite some time now, so yes, I started college with an eating disorder. I'm a rising junior (American University system xD), or about to be in my third year. My ED did get worse in college, because I suddenly had freedom of what I ate or if I ate. College can make an eating disorder worse, but if you have a good support system, it might not. Some colleges actually have either an ED treatment program or counseling services that help with EDs. Talk to your college before you start, make them aware of your ED and let them help you.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
Closed Thread